Discuss Your Uplay experience

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Discuss Your Uplay experience

Unread postby cjlee » 24 Dec 2015, 14:30

Hi

I don't have Heroes7 yet.

I would like to know what are your experiences with Uplay. Is it necessary to game? I don't quite understand what happens after you buy a game key from some website online.

So far my impression is that you:
1) pay
2) get game key
3) use that key to download and install
4) after which you have to validate on Uplay at least once, download the patches, before you can actually play.

It is no longer necessary to use Uplay everytime, but if you always log onto uplay they have bonus stuff for you.

Uplay is necessary if you want to keep your bonus stuff.

Savegames work between both Uplay and gaming offline.

Please correct any misunderstandings on my part!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Discuss Your Uplay experience

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Dec 2015, 22:53

My experience is that at some point it stopped working, and nothing i did made it work again on this PC, so i'm reduced to playing H6 on my laptop which i got a few months back...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Dec 2015, 15:46

As far as I've experienced, it only works in the background, like Steam. It starts up whenever I start the game, but it doesn't seem to be too intrusive or annoying. I didn't play the game very much until 1.4, so the experiences people have had before that, I don't know. Some people have complained about synchronising cloud saves etc. but I have not seen any of this.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Alfalken
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alfalken » 25 Dec 2015, 17:38

I've had experience where an uplay update causes the game to keep failing to launch. I contacted Ubi's Customer Support and they advised me to reinstall Uplay. After doing that it runs, but instead synced the saves I had in my comp with an older version, so I lost quite a handful of savegames that way. :(

To be fair, they actually instructed me to back up my saves when they told me to reinstall uplay. But I sure didn't expect that reinstalling could cause a sync error with my saves...

Other than that nightmare scenario, Uplay doesn't do much. It just sits in the background as Kalah says.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jan 2016, 17:08

Alfalken wrote: Other than that nightmare scenario, Uplay doesn't do much. It just sits in the background as Kalah says.
Strange having that if it really doesn't do anything. It shouldn't exist then.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 06 Jan 2016, 23:45

I haven't played HOMM7 but my experience with HOMM6 led me to suspect Kurtz had a glimpse of UPlay at the end of Heart of Darkness.

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 07 Jan 2016, 13:54

magritte2 wrote:I haven't played HOMM7 but my experience with HOMM6 led me to suspect Kurtz had a glimpse of UPlay at the end of Heart of Darkness.
Clever!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Jan 2016, 16:48

magritte2 wrote:I haven't played HOMM7 but my experience with HOMM6 led me to suspect Kurtz had a glimpse of UPlay at the end of Heart of Darkness.
Hahaha...! :D
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

LucJPatenaude
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LucJPatenaude » 11 Jul 2016, 17:14

Uplay is a game client for both the PC and the Console of your choice.

It is always changing, evolving via multiple updates/upgrades every time(in my case=>infrequently) I get to launch one of the Might and Magic Heroes games(6 & 7).

Have 2 Ubisoft published games on my Xbox 360 console that gives me Xbox Live achievements and, a few Uplay ones also.

Correction to Cjlee's post is: The key sent to you via your purchasing invoice and onto the transaction receipt is only needed to activate the game before launching it for the first time. The game can be downloaded and installed before activation(works pretty much the same as the procedure of within Steam). ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Jul 2016, 13:17

I tried to delete Uplay from my PC just now; it's quite a large program, so I thought I'd get rid of it and save some space since I only use it for H7 anyway. I mean, the devs did say that Uplay was only neccessary to run the one-time activation when starting the game for the first time, right?

Nope. The game can't run without Uplay installed.

I promptly deleted both Uplay and Heroes VII. I'll be damned if Ubisoft are going to decide what association apps I have installed on my PC.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Jul 2016, 15:00

That's Kalah starting his rebellion. :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 25 Jul 2016, 13:05

Kalah wrote:I'll be damned if Ubisoft are going to decide what association apps I have installed on my PC.
If it was important for many people, someone would create some sort of "patch" (like exported registry branches or smth) to make H7 think that UPlay is present when it's not. Since there is no such "patch", it means that either it's too complicated or no one cares. I strongly doubt it's too complicated :)
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jul 2016, 13:28

You're part right - I haven't really cared too much until now.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jul 2016, 17:22

Dalai wrote: If it was important for many people, someone would create some sort of "patch" (like exported registry branches or smth) to make H7 think that UPlay is present when it's not. Since there is no such "patch", it means that either it's too complicated or no one cares. I strongly doubt it's too complicated :)
Or wait a few years for it to be available on GOG after UBI doesn't want to waste server space for it and thus a Uplay-free version.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 25 Jul 2016, 17:58

jeff wrote:Or wait a few years for it to be available on GOG after UBI doesn't want to waste server space for it and thus a Uplay-free version.
Ubi game is so interesting that even hackers and pirates ignore it, and Ubi will have to hack it themselves. :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Jul 2016, 19:58

Well, the game does feel like it's been hacked due the lack of consistency here and there. Sure they bought the Rights? :lol:

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 26 Jul 2016, 06:57

Uplay is one of the biggest piece of **** ever created in the gaming industry.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 26 Jul 2016, 09:09

Galaad wrote:Uplay is one of the biggest piece of **** ever created in the gaming industry.
And mind you, the industry of creating pieces of **** is very, very competitive. ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Jul 2016, 12:16

I'm really disappointed, actually; Valve are doing well with Steam so we know it's possible to make a good association app. So when Uplay give us something of lower quality than that, it's disappointing.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Jul 2016, 12:53

Yes, but Valve is miles ahead of others. It's not exactly fair to compare.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes VII”