So is this game worth buying?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Unread postby Karmakeld » 07 Mar 2016, 23:09

Yeah I read on HC(?) that it was mainly made to host especially the new mods but also recent H5.5 and the likes. Again, getting some of that content on CH might be handy for the users, but as it requires the authors consent, linking is a good start.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Mar 2016, 20:19

How big are those for downloading btw?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Mar 2016, 21:20

Over 40MB it seems, they use for storage dropbox. Another interesting thing is, that the site is based on wordpress.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Jun 2016, 04:37

Thank you Pol, for fixing my account, and sorry for raising up an old thread - spammer that I am - but I am considering getting HoMM 7 .... how I missed that this had been released .... well, who knows.

But it's probably not a bad thing that I didn't get it any sooner.

So, to the heart of the matter - should I bother? I've read a fair bit of the thread, and I'm still unsure :-)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 28 Jun 2016, 09:18

It depends. It's fairly playable but it doesn't introduce anything new to the franchise. If you are okay with that, the game is good.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Jun 2016, 13:06

Wow, look who's back. :)

My opinion is that the campaigns are quite enjoyable, and the few single maps available also seem OK. So the game is good for a playthrough, but if you're the king of person who loves playing user-made games for years and years, there aren't really that many maps out there. Another drawback is the lack of innovation; there's really nothing new with this game.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 28 Jun 2016, 15:08

Well said, Kalah.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 28 Jun 2016, 22:16

Kalah wrote:if you're the king of person who loves playing user-made games for years and years.
I imagine a kingdom full of such people.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Jun 2016, 19:51

I still remember the times when there were hundreds of such people around here ... :sad:

But anyway, to answer the question: yes, the game is worth buying if you want to play through it a few times and play with the given maps (and the RMG does work), but I don't think it's a game you should buy if you want a game you can play for years to come.

Oh and in case you guys still haven't read it, here is my H7 review.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Jul 2016, 03:20

Thanks Kalah, and also for the welcome (back). I am ok with it not being too new or fresh - it's been a while since I played HoMM, I skipped VI entirely, I played a reasonable amount of V .... but when I want to play the game .... I crank up III - sometimes even II - that's where it be at.

Cheers also hellegennes.

So I think I'll just go ahead and do it. I will probably have to wait til my new laptop arrives (little bit excited for that), but that can just increase the anticipation :) .

Once I get it going, might be around a bit getting some tips :D .
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Jul 2016, 13:48

Oh, hello again, asandir. It's funny seeing people return when things seem a bit dire on the matter of future of the series.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

LucJPatenaude
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LucJPatenaude » 03 Jul 2016, 17:02

Of course! It is worth buying!

My very first 64bit strategy game with a 64bit Map Editor that has an R.M.G. included into it. Just a question of getting used to when it is time to find the proper place to save the newly generated map.

So, yes, it has a re-playability option to the game. Raw as of now but, an all-inclusive R.M.G. is said to be inserted within the main game as for the Expansion(available for sale on August 4th of 2016-this year).

What I really like in the much larger maps is the possibility of a much smaller territory within the territory that can add to suspense of which player will know how to keep the main territory for keeps by making a sneak attack or counter attack to reclaim the main town of the main territory. So, 8 players could see the generation of 8 mini territories extra to such map = 16 overall(not including the sub-terranean level, of course).
:)

Ementer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ementer » 30 Nov 2022, 00:17

I partly agree with your opinion, and partly not. The reason is that ubisoft releases really cool games (we are not talking about all, but about some), but at the same time, do not underestimate other studios that release just as good, if not better, product.

Return to “Heroes VII”