So is this game worth buying?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Unread postby markkur » 22 Nov 2015, 05:49

cjlee wrote: ...Along the way I got tired. You see, most people do get suspicious if you sound too happy. I got many comments about having an agenda, and maybe being paid to promote something. And as I got older I just didn't care anymore to talk about what I like.
You're correct that's likely a big part of the problem. Not that there are not Fanboys that like anything that's comes along but Fanboy is something I have read a heck of a lot over the years and many times <imo> it did not point-blank fit the attitude of the post towards which the "slam" was directed. I would get VERY tired of it too I imagine.

Cheers

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 22 Nov 2015, 06:06

Panda Tar wrote: ...I think it intensifies when factual problems become too frequent, repeating over the years, forcing its way into normality. I'm using Ubisoft as an example of lack of tact and quality competence.For a company such as that, they don't need praise, because it would naturally reflect on their sales. But it seems they can afford criticism, for all the good that pseudo-praise did to them.
All very true too Panda. I'm proof of that in a way. I was more annoyed at finding that UBI did not understand "user-friendly" when it came to the H5 map-editor but when 6 came out and I saw what they had decided to do for an Editor and was Angry. It was one of the only time I spoke out in depth (and several times) about anything to do with this franchise. With 7 it is now unbelief and detachment...I do not care any more. However, I still believe, unless UBI finally understands the solid roots of this franchise and gets how important a part the map-makers and modders are to series-community, later installments can never reach their true potential in sales & participation. i.e. If these later versions had been designed and released like JVC, they would have made more money than they did. He very well under-stood his product from A-Z. Meaning Campaign players, Competing-Multiplayers, Adventure-Multiplayers, Single players wanting custom maps, Map-makers, Game-Modders and Unit-Tweakers. Everyone mattered and at the same time they got a game that was of sound quality and not a bug-fest.

I'll say no more. Other than, unless I see an easy to use Editor finally surface in 7, I'll not waste my big-cash again and spend umpteen hours (again)to "learn how" to make a decent map. Most of many spent-hours should go into making the Campaign or map.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Nov 2015, 13:16

What's striking me eerily is that each patch brings fixes, yes, but brings new bugs, or makes things which were working into something not working. I mean, how can one be sure that things are getting really fixed, if out of the blue something which was working simply gets screwed? Anyway, patience and time and a good deal of competence are needed. Let's see how it unravels. But I have that panda-like-certainty that in this case, we won't be able to rely on that saying: "Good things come for those who wait". I think "Something ominous will come for those who waited" is more suitable. :D

Ok, I'll stop my snide humor now. I'll peruse a bit SC to see if there are some temporary solutions for any new bug.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 22 Nov 2015, 16:24

From CGMAG
As a reviewer, I was bored, as a gamer I was confused, and as a fan, I was disappointed. Ubisoft’s indifference for a long-running and beloved series is a problem, and I hope they realize that.

Do not play Heroes of Might and Magic VII. From the game’s fundamentally flawed technical foundation to the abhorrently misdirected implementation and communication of design elements, this is one massively missed opportunity.

Wlf2kme
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wlf2kme » 22 Nov 2015, 18:29

Panda Tar wrote:What's striking me eerily is that each patch brings fixes, yes, but brings new bugs, or makes things which were working into something not working. I mean, how can one be sure that things are getting really fixed, if out of the blue something which was working simply gets screwed? Anyway, patience and time and a good deal of competence are needed. Let's see how it unravels. But I have that panda-like-certainty that in this case, we won't be able to rely on that saying: "Good things come for those who wait". I think "Something ominous will come for those who waited" is more suitable. :D.

Something like that is not something we should be worrying about. That's the dev teams job. Clearly someone there in charge of quality control is not doing his/her job properly. Anything in version 1.5 should never be this broken and released. It's one thing to have a broken version, it's a whole other thing releasing it. These guys don't use automated and manual testing or wat?
I must say, I'm not amused.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 22 Nov 2015, 21:53

I've seen some of the might campaign on YouTube, and from what I've seen, I do think it offers some innovation. At least in the adventure map. Ofcourse you might not notice stuff like a magic cage or a dam being broken down and flooding out water in a skirmish map (some reviews focus on skirmish maps), but I do see some innovation in those areas as well as adventure map objects/designs being used in battle maps as well. But I'm curious as to whether a mapmaker will be able to make similar stuff. If so, I see potential in the editor, ofcourse assuming it's user-friendly.
But I acknowledge there might be game designs like town leveling which one just might not reconcile with and which can not be changed/modded (in editor). In this case, I doubt a good editor will do much of a difference, in the matter of finding the game enjoyable.
But to bring back focus on the actual topic, I too share the optic, that it seems outrageous to pay full price for a product that isn't properly polished and at least somewhat bugfree, but also largely uses existing designs from prev. releases H6 and Heroes Online. Sure it's set in the same universe and so you'd expect some the same creatures to exsist, but you can't be expected to pay full price for a product where not everything is entirely new. 'hey I just repaired your house using the old bricks, but I'm still gonna charge you as if I had bought new ones, okay?'.. A joke from an old danish adult x-mas calendar comes to mind; 'now that was a good phrase, maybe we can use it in another episode'. I guess they just replaced 'phrase' with 'creature design'.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

mordredrs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mordredrs » 25 Nov 2015, 17:55

It lacks RMG;
It lacks Inferno;
That council screen still scares the hell out of me - it is bizarre...
"Beware of spellcasters with bats as familiars. It means they have regular need to be abroad at night."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Nov 2015, 00:44

I gotta say that while there is much to complain about, I'm also having some good fun: I just fought a battle against a Haven hero in the 3rd map of the Stronghold campaign. I ended up with a single behemoth holding the line against her stacks of core creatures; that behemoth was all I had. I buffed it with everything I could think of and managed to win. Then, before I could get reinforcements, I was attacked again. There's me defending myself with only 1 behemoth at my disposal. Winning required some real thinking, but it was possible. I've missed battles like this. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Nov 2015, 01:12

Kalah's subconscious thinking goes like: I forgot to hire more units and I had money - 'next turn' - Oh, no, I forgot again! Back to my mad-libs. Da-li-loo, da-li-loo.

:D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Nov 2015, 23:42

mordredrs wrote:It lacks RMG;
There is RMG in map editor.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Dec 2015, 21:28

I actually would buy the game for 25€ but with my computer lacking dedicated graphic card it's out of question. Alhough I'm aware that VIP action on GMG will be time limited.

It's strange like a reviews on Steam are almost constantly negative. Satisfied people rarely review and inicial and current "lost skills state" is only gathering negative ones. The launch problem is a big one, there they got instantly over 700 bad reviews for general unplayability - technical bugs and broken multiplayer. The rest was minor though, I would say normal. So tech, balance and AI fixes are in order. Game requirements of course not.

It's just reminding fate of MoM from Microprose, after initial launch game was in thorough buggy state but it was fixed and years later it became a gaming milestone. Never reached by any other game.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 02 Dec 2015, 13:52

SC is down again, comments section in some articles doesn't show comments properly, only the word 'nok'.

Wonder if they are trying to update the site? Give it is known – man, that shows everywhere – every time they updated that site, slowdown followed, crashes etc. Probably due high visiting traffic. As for now, given that place is much less crowded, I wonder what happened.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 02 Dec 2015, 14:06

Pol wrote:It's strange like a reviews on Steam are almost constantly negative.
How so? IMO they mocked the playerbase, the fans, and the customers. Negativity was to be expected.
Humakt wrote:There is RMG in map editor.
A few questions about that, how long does it takes to open the editor, generate the random map, then go back in game and launch?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Dec 2015, 09:55

You can read all about that in my review when it's finished. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Dec 2015, 18:42

Soooo, there's this quote from gomaki from HC. Conclusions?
AI is ALWAYS being worked on. It doesn't get a 'highlight' so much but we have people dedicated to this. The main goal is to make sure we don't have a 'cheating' AI which many games do (we don't) that's why things take longer. It's all about tightening up the choices it can make and optimizing them. As for the MP Unfortunately that will never be the case for the core Heroes 7. It's an Engine constrain and if you thought Out of syncs were bad now it would be HORRENDOUS having someone do combat whilst another person moves around. So all we did was have the toggle option to not be able to see your opponents army (I personally would like to be allowed to at least look around the Adventure map even if i can't move but i don't believe this will happen)

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 07 Dec 2015, 22:50

People can't miss THIS. :loll: :D :rofl:

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 07 Dec 2015, 23:06

Galaad wrote:People can't miss THIS. :loll: :D :rofl:
LOL! That was a good laugh, thanks :D

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 07 Dec 2015, 23:15

I thought few of those were actually worth clicking. :mad:

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 07 Dec 2015, 23:59

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote:LOL! That was a good laugh, thanks :D
You're welcome :lol:
mr.hackcrag wrote:I thought few of those were actually worth clicking. :mad:
Aww :(
What about this one? :P

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Dec 2015, 08:35

Let's keep this on topic, please, and not have it turn into a subforum on 4chan.

Return to “Heroes VII”