So is this game worth buying?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Unread postby crislevin » 29 Oct 2015, 11:12

Galaad wrote:I'd be really curious to know more about why some of you guys claim h7 "feels like a homm game", because I disagree, unless you also think h6 feels like one, in such case we probably have nothing to discuss.
well

you develop a town and recruit multiple level of units
turn-based
haven, academy, elves, dungeon, orcs, undead factions
you can use different factions of spells, lightening bolt, resurrection, ice circle, Armageddon
you adventure around getting resources,
you visit places to add your heroes' properties
you can improve your movement, moral, etc by visiting places
The list goes on and on and on...

really, its a very small category of games, do you really think this game is somehow so "different" from any other HoMM game? Talk about different, HoMM4 is the most different one if you ask me.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 29 Oct 2015, 22:13

do you really think this game is somehow so "different" from any other HoMM game?
I'd rather say is fundamentally close to mmh6 in its core.
HoMM4 is the most different one if you ask me.
homm4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mmh6 & mmh7.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Oct 2015, 22:45

MM:H7 ≥ MM:H6?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby crislevin » 30 Oct 2015, 10:45

Galaad wrote:
do you really think this game is somehow so "different" from any other HoMM game?
I'd rather say is fundamentally close to mmh6 in its core.
HoMM4 is the most different one if you ask me.
homm4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mmh6 & mmh7.
I can sympathize with your feeling that ubi is the worst thing on earth, etc, but I'm not gonna stay in the past.

And I think vii is far better than iv.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 30 Oct 2015, 11:17

crislevin wrote:I can sympathize with your feeling that ubi is the worst thing on earth, etc, but I'm not gonna stay in the past.
lol
crislevin wrote:And I think vii is far better than iv.
ouch

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 06 Nov 2015, 01:36

Some people have been complaining that 1.4 doesn't work or still has bugs.

Wow... even at version 1.4, this game is still at beta testing stage. We really have to thank the beta testers for falling into Ubisoft's trap and buying so early. With Limbic (goumaki)'s good attitude, game will be playable sooner or later.

I just played Starcraft 2 Protoss campaign sample missions. Everything worked perfectly. Even the loads or reloads or mission entries didn't take any longer than a H5 game. Now this is a game that has gone through real beta testing.

Styrj
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Styrj » 08 Nov 2015, 12:50

Only if they get rid of uplay and online requirement, and fix all game breaking bugs. And for longevity, include a Random Map Generator with the editor (assuming the editor is usable by the average bloke). I'm not a campaign player and prefer to only play solo against AI.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 09 Nov 2015, 17:52

OK, I just watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zk3dQiOkuI

If you play starcraft at all (or even if you have never played), you can see from all the easter eggs, how much the Blizzard development team loved their game. They included so many easter eggs because they were having fun with it; they linked their work to their other products; named background (non playable) creatures after members of the community; snuck in a dev team group photo into their cinematics so we know who they are; created new models and buildings and creatures (not recoloured skins) that they used only once just for their easter egg; added humorous interludes; added personalized details for prisoners whose only role was to stand around and act as props...

In contrast, half or more of the visuals from H7 are recycled from H6 with no improvement in appearance or increased efficiency in graphics rendering.

I just don't understand why we have to pay the same price for Starcraft as H7 when the quality difference is so huge.

mordredrs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mordredrs » 10 Nov 2015, 18:01

Ok, i have bought the game and i've wasted some hours playing it. Wtf is that table with the frozen heroes? Not worth buying IMO.

- What is that with the council? Are they meant to be static?
- There's a lot of resources, but they're not relevant.
- The objects in the map are confusing. Is it a rock, a plant or a resource?
- No random skirmish maps.
- The game misses some tooltips for ppl that are not familiar with the series (yes, even playing the tutorial).

However,

The game hasn't crashed a single time (5h gameplay) and it looks more like H5 than H6 (colors, factions, skills, ...).

I would choose H5 tho.
"Beware of spellcasters with bats as familiars. It means they have regular need to be abroad at night."

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 10 Nov 2015, 18:38

mordredrs wrote:Wtf is that table with the frozen heroes?
It is sad how much this design decision has hurt the product. It is such a trivial aspect of the whole game, but it means a lot to the customers. I hope the developers learn a lesson from this for future installments. The hard truth is that some people will be in such a unfavorable frame of mind after seeing the Council table scenes that they will be unforgiving in other areas, too. The lack of animation in this area of the game is compounded by the promotional videos using gorgeous fully-rendered and animated models, which represent neither gameplay nor cut scences in the retail product. It leaves people with the impression that they are getting an over-hyped product with low production value. And that bit is a shame because this is the best Heroes game we have gotten in a long time.

mordredrs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mordredrs » 10 Nov 2015, 20:07

There's some cutscenes in animation, like the ones used in Diablo 3. They could have used these scenes in the main dialogues, diminishing the the time an animated council would appear.
But "that" is far from bizarre...
"Beware of spellcasters with bats as familiars. It means they have regular need to be abroad at night."

Wlf2kme
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wlf2kme » 12 Nov 2015, 16:09

IMHO, at this point, the game is worth buying. Many bugs appear to be solved, performance is up by a multiplication of what it was before.

I now finished one campaign and I'm halfway though the 2nd. I can't wait to get at it again.

There are still some issues, obviously. For instance, sometimes one of my creature stacks is missing upon troop deployment at the beginning of combat. That stack is usually, but not always, in the center of the battlefield. But unlike previous game versions one can drag it onto the regular deployment space and it's there during combat. So a workaround is pretty simple.

What does still bother me is, as said, the static cutscenes. That's just plain ridiculous. Why bother with 3D rendering such things if it's not meant to move :-)

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 13 Nov 2015, 01:03

It sounds like the game is now ready to be released! :P

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 Nov 2015, 03:59

Darkström wrote:It sounds like the game is now ready to be released! :P

Don't be fooled. For one, someone just reported that the hero unit growth perks still don't work.

For another, Starcraft Legacy of the Void and Fallout 4 have just been released. These have few bugs, so you're ready to go. By the time you get tired of these two games, H7 should be ready, and might even be discounted. Admittedly, it would be very hard to go from Fallout 4 to Heroes 7 graphics, since the difference is practically HDTV versus Black and White analog, but hey some black and white movies are worth watching, right? Most games nowadays don't have static cutscenes, so it's retro nostalgia looking at you, baby!

I bet there are another 1000000 cockroaches hiding in this rotting mansion called Heroes7. Let the beta testers (early buyers) finish their work first, ok?

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 13 Nov 2015, 05:48

Or you could buy the game and ignore the guy who seriously thinks Fallout 4 has few bugs.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 13 Nov 2015, 20:46

Humakt wrote:Or you could buy the game and ignore the guy who seriously thinks Fallout 4 has few bugs.
You know, I have noticed that any time the dialog around this game starts to turn positive, some people jump in to try to break it down again. Some people are very disappointed with the game (or its concept even though they are not playing it), and it bothers them on some level--it must for all the energy they expend in relation to it--that some of us are very happy with the game. For a long time, I considered answering the derisive comments about the bugs in the game with links to patch notes for games that have been out several years, but now I am to the point where I have given up on trying to engage them. Good luck to you if you continue to "fight the fight."

I already left one community that was more active than this one because it was just a forum for bashing the game, moderators included. At least here I feel people try to see both sides. Most of the time.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Nov 2015, 21:41

I guess that this is the curve which it had take from Heroes6. Many people here were betatesting, including me, also alphatesting and much was promised. And it was possible at that moment. What happened later, everyone know.

So, they keep this negative experience to the future release. Being healthy suspicious to the preorder offerings or saying that it will be patched soon.

At the same time this is a little unfair to a new game. As, even if it's still Ubisoft, there's completely different developing team. And things this time run much better. Not smooth. But definitively with completely different feel!

Therefore, the game needs to convice twice. Now and to redeem the previous failure. That's sure twice time harder. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 13 Nov 2015, 21:45

Great point, Pol.

Madaxe
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Madaxe » 13 Nov 2015, 22:15

Yeah, it does seem like there is something "personal" going on at times with some of the negative comments. Not sure what the goal is sometimes....

But, I don't half blame anyone. H6 was pretty disappointing on many levels for most. Then, in one of the Limbic twitch streams, the one guy commented that they know that they have to overcome the negative mindsets that H6 left. They (Ubisoft) then follow that up with what was obviously a very premature release. Talk about throwing fuel on a fire. Not the right way of going about repairing the burnt relationships from H6.

But, that being said, I too am one who is really enjoying the game overall. The patches are moving in the right direction.... If someone was holding off because of the bugs, it is getting close to being ready, at least from a single player standpoint. Hopefully MP gets working in the next patch. Now, if they just don't like the game in it's current design, then they probably want to wait for an expansion or not at all.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 Nov 2015, 02:26

Madaxe wrote:Yeah, it does seem like there is something "personal" going on at times with some of the negative comments. Not sure what the goal is sometimes...
As for me, the personal feeling is that of being hoodwinked, given false expectations (because whether one might try to dig in any meaning from some things said from their, there are many contradictory behavior there) and being let down so prominently – similar to when you lend something you cherish very much to someone and that person simply destroys it, so you cannot have the same experience with it anymore?

Beyond the first wave of regret and anger, it so sets down to it, the realization of never getting back, but small spurts of incredulity still linger here and there depending on the way we get news about it, whenever we don't agree with paths taken, and I think that's just normal with things we used to like and care but have now gone beyond the realms of which we cannot help it. By 'we' I mean people who feel that way, not only regarding Heroes fate, but in a general sense of things. I commented days ago that some people, myself included, don't know anymore what's bug and what's designing decision.

I'm also aware that the game satisfies a public in its own way, but I think it does not have anything to offer other than what's has been offered already. Some compare with 3 or 5, but truly, if it's to make a copy of those, there's no reason to exist. I fail to notice or consider anything in H7 that adds to the franchise as something we say: wow, I wanted this on the old ones, they would be better, and heuristically adds that thing as a new Heroes feature (to name some, we have Heroes fighting, troops with mythical units, skill system, magic system, town with structures, you get the picture). Right now, it's an average copy, trying to get complete after production and cleansed from all bugs and the shadow of another not so popular one (H6), as Pol explained.

But what makes me wonder and disappointed the most is that I don't see why they keep making games with increasing problems in a row, since H4 having games being released in some awful state. One thinks that these are lessons to be learned – for me, that's a logical reasoning for evolution and search for quality. H4 having problems with rushing and bankruptcy, H5 coming with a new publisher after a long hiatus also with some issues which took a while to be mended by ToE, then H6, another developer, bankruptcy follows, some new things bad implemented (just like H4, but then pruned instead of polished, another let down), and now H7. What's the excuse for this treatment? I cannot find an answer, a proper one. I find it personally offensive, someone coming to sell me a product I like so much with clear disdain in the process of making something with passion, showing a product that I cannot fathom why it's getting not the attention I expected. It simply shows that way, and as long as it feels that way, people will feel personally offended by it. Of course, it might not be much of deal for some; people seem to think it's normal these days, but that's a thing we can avoid. We should try leveling standards by optimized and high levels, not the other way around. But that's just me.

Aside from that, I hope that my behavior or, sometimes, my snide comments on this new installment don't offend any of you. It's your right to enjoy and buy whatever game you like. I'm only showing and trying to explain that there's a personal sense in all reactions you see around, and the 'goals' might range from only 'being listened', to try and change how big publishers are treating their products, specially when some mismanagement are so prominent, no matter who's guilty.

Sorry about the long post. :ashamed:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Heroes VII”