If you could give the Might & Magic IP to any company...

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Re: If you could give the Might & Magic IP to any company...

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 12 Oct 2015, 21:55

Dalai wrote:
parcaleste wrote:KATAURI!
Good choice!

Paradox and Fireaxis would be my second and third choices.
ONLY if 1C gives the programming to the original Katauri team. Not the idiots who made Warriors of the North and the 50 shades of Evil-thingie travesties from the original games... Those were terribly, and bug-infested. The WotN bug thread on the 1C forums was 120 pages long (!!!) when I gave up and quit beta-testing a released game.

I'd also say, Triumph. They did wonders with (pun intended) Age of Wonders 3, and the game is still being updated and modernized even today - they just added an awesome modding interface, free of charge, a few weeks ago. The team is clearly invested in keeping the players happy and are planning for a long-time gamer experience - that is something every TBS game needs.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 12 Oct 2015, 22:06

gourley4p wrote:In a dream world, I might say the Camelot of the early 90s that released Shining Force. While the Shining series seldom had a plot more complicated than "save the world from Dark Sol," the characters oozed personality, the battles were tremendous fun to replay, and the classes were interesting. I regret that the Shining series devolved into a bunch of action games.
The thing is, when did the last Shining Force game come out? The nineties? And even then, they were RPGs, not TBS games - just because they had turn-based combat isn't the same as being a TBS. I mean, Albion (from BLue Byte) had great turn-based combat too but it was an RPG, not a TBS. (Though, they did make Battle Isle too...too bad Blue Byte is gone long ago)

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 12 Oct 2015, 22:31

BB Shockwave wrote: The thing is, when did the last Shining Force game come out? The nineties?
The most recent one was 2014. Shining Resonance, I think. If your question about when the last Shining game with turn-based strategy game play came out, that might have been Shining Force Feather in 2009.
BB Shockwave wrote:And even then, they were RPGs, not TBS games - just because they had turn-based combat isn't the same as being a TBS.
Point well taken, and I agree that turn-based strategic combat and a fully turn-based game are not one in the same. I would argue that, in my dream world, the developers could make the transition.

Edited for a misspelled word and to properly set off a subordinate clause with commas.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 18 Oct 2015, 22:44

I did not know about that 2009 game - just the latter ones and those were RPGs. At any rate, I see it is a DS game, and developing a PC game is quite a different thing (especially when it comes to controls) - Skyrim is a good (I mean, bad) example of just what a mess a skill/inventory system becomes when people make it without thinking that you could have a mouse. :D

But yeah, frankly I would take this team over Ubi's, any day. Sadly, none of the companies they hired (for Heroes VI or VII either) had a good track record with TBS games. Not any that I knew about, at least.

Styrj
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Styrj » 08 Nov 2015, 12:42

If it were me, I would have ubi turn both HoMM VI & VII over to GOG. Let GOG resell them and remove uplay and online requirement. This is assuming VII is stable enough to play without crashes.

Return to “Heroes VII”