Fortress vs Sylvan

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.

Fortress or Sylvan?

Fortress
27%
Sylvan
73%

Total votes: 45

Wizard of Soz
Peasant
Peasant

Fortress vs Sylvan

Unread postby Wizard of Soz » 13 Aug 2014, 18:47

In case anyone didn't know, the developers of Heroes 7 are giving us a chance to choose whether we want Sylvan (elves) or whether we want Fortress (dwarf) in this game. Or to put it another way round which one of these 2 do we not want in the game :P

This is more of a place to discuss the vote and gain a preliminary idea of what people are thinking. For the real vote (i.e. the one that counts) vote here:

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/ ... you-choose
Last edited by Wizard of Soz on 14 Aug 2014, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2014, 18:52

What i want is less units of one race in every town... H6 was a step in the right direction in that regard.

With that in mind, i'll go Sylvan, way more creature choices from a historical perspective... bring back mah phoenix and pegasi pls.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2014, 18:54

I should probably add that the only votes that matter are the ones made on the Shadow Council. The developers will not pay any notice to off-site votes at all. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2014, 19:17

Also, the sky is blue, and water is wet.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 13 Aug 2014, 20:12

I don't know about the choices we got...

I'm not a Sylvan fan but I think it would add much more value to the game than Fortress. Surely, Fortress could be really awesome but most likely it would be yet another slowly, melee focused faction.

Imo when choices are limited and Stronghold is already in, there is no reason to favour them over Sylvan.

Out of the core factions there is no fast/finess oriented faction and Sylvan perfectly fits the bill in this regard.

I really want to have Dungeon as well. I like Inferno, but dungeon is way to awesome to throw them away, not to mention that it would contribute to the story more than demons.

Anyway, so far I remain sceptic. I think Heroes 6 biggest weakness were several gesign/gameplay choices when it comes to the factions but apart from that, I think that Black Hole made a lot of changes for the good.

Heroes 6 allowed for much control when it come to building your town or developing your hero and I greatly appreciated that.

I only fear that they or fans want to make it too much like Heroes 3 ... I really liked Heroes 3 but if I feel like playing it, I play Heroes 3 and nothing else.

So far I'm reading things like no town conversion, a Skillwheel and the revealed units don't make me hyped either...

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 13 Aug 2014, 21:22

Kalah wrote:I should probably add that the only votes that may have a small chance to matter are the ones made on the Shadow Council.
This voting sounds like populism. If they want to make a good soup by asking a lot of chefs for recipes and then democratically select the most popular ingredients from these, I become a bit suspicious if they know what they are doing. On the other hand, the fact that factions are not decided gives hope that the story will be given less attention than in latest installments. The gameplay should be set in main aspects before any official or fanmade maps or campaigns are made. Yet, if they do not know wheter sylvan or fortress would improve the gameplay better, and even if they would know it they would still be unsure about dungeon and inferno...
It is easy to give advise or "council", but if the receiver does not know about which issues he needs advise or how to utilise it, "words of wisdom" may cause more damage than help.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2014, 21:51

Actually, they will follow the voting results. The reason being mostly that it doesn't matter that much; they will begin by constructing the core factions and then begin making the last two when they know what they are. Hopefully, they will eventually add more factions anyway, so this is mostly a vote to decide what comes in the first release. :beg:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

BlackDragonSlayer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlackDragonSlayer » 14 Aug 2014, 00:18

Although the Sylvan is a more "classic" faction, I think it would be interesting if we saw the Fortress, so I voted for that. As of now, though, it doesn't seem as if it's popular with very many other people...

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 14 Aug 2014, 10:00

Kalah wrote:Actually, they will follow the voting results. The reason being mostly that it doesn't matter that much; they will begin by constructing the core factions and then begin making the last two when they know what they are. Hopefully, they will eventually add more factions anyway, so this is mostly a vote to decide what comes in the first release. :beg:
Yes, and most of the world kept an eye on Crimean voting. If wrong questions are asked at wrong time it makes one ask *why* the voting was done, not what the outcome is.

Also I hope that splitting factions into core and fillers is just your wording, not the way how developers see it. Is there a good argument why four factions are core and then some non-core/auxilary/filler factions need to be added?

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 14 Aug 2014, 10:23

Voted Fortress.
I feel Sylvan has proven to be too much focused on the grand elves unit. Fans will expect that same focus, reducing the variety of the game.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 14 Aug 2014, 10:55

I am torn between the classic and the awesome.

Probably I won't vote at all.
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Aug 2014, 10:59

I supported classic. :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Aug 2014, 14:14

Are they really making their decision based on the results of this poll!? Talk about easily manipulated.

I'm going with Sylvan, because my style of play has always been to hide powerful ranged stacks and let them do the damage.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Aug 2014, 14:35

Banedon wrote:Are they really making their decision based on the results of this poll!? Talk about easily manipulated.
This poll here on The Round Table, you mean? No. Read my post above.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 14 Aug 2014, 14:49

Sylvan, but I hope it'll be more like H3 Rampart than H5's sylvan.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Wizard of Soz
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wizard of Soz » 14 Aug 2014, 20:19

I have not made my mind up yet but quick thought. We could end up with Fortress being voted in, and then Inferno. Do we really need 2 fire based factions? I mean it won't be terrible, but surly we want to explore other magic trees as well?

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 14 Aug 2014, 21:58

Wizard of Soz wrote:I have not made my mind up yet but quick thought. We could end up with Fortress being voted in, and then Inferno. Do we really need 2 fire based factions? I mean it won't be terrible, but surly we want to explore other magic trees as well?
Exactly why i voted for Sylvan. A faction that can have Water as one of it's main magics again (since it doesn't look like sanctuary will be in). And the lineup would be cool as well - i like how they did Sylvan in H5 for the most part.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 14 Aug 2014, 22:26

When I first saw this, I thought it was Lizard Fortress. Now that I know what it really is, it just makes me sad. :(

Oakwarrior
Biclops
Biclops

Unread postby Oakwarrior » 15 Aug 2014, 07:02

Well I'm all for tree-shagging pixies. Not really a big fan of Ashan Dwarves just yet.
ImageImage

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 15 Aug 2014, 08:16

mr.hackcrag wrote:When I first saw this, I thought it was Lizard Fortress. Now that I know what it really is, it just makes me sad. :(
Forget about it...too hard to cram pointless nerd pleasing female nudity in Fortress, so it goes against standard Ubi policy :D
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Return to “Heroes VII”