Homestead unit cards

Forum for discussing the Heroic tabletop game
Groovy
Golem
Golem

Homestead unit cards

Unread postby Groovy » 15 Sep 2014, 21:14

I could swear that I had posted these cards last night. Seeing that the thread is not here, I must have forgotten to click 'submit'. :flame:

Here are the Homestead (Human, Castle) unit cards. I'll update them as the design progresses.

Animal level 1:

Folk level 1:

Animal level 2:

Folk level 2:

Animal level 3:

Folk level 3:

Animal level 4:

Folk level 4:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Sep 2014, 00:52

All lv 3 and 4 folk will be flyers, then?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 17 Sep 2014, 04:18

Yes, for now at least. I still need to work on the balance.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Sep 2014, 08:50

Btw. some of those images may be copyrighted, so if you're planning to sell this stuff, you might run into difficulties.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 17 Sep 2014, 08:54

This is placeholder art, which I'm only posting here because it's a closed forum. Panda and probably other artists will hopefully produce original artwork to use instead. :)

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 17 Sep 2014, 14:00

I have added a giant walker just for you, Panda! ;)

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 17 Sep 2014, 14:04

Do you think it would complicate things too much to add constitution as another unit attribute? I'd like fire and poison to have different effects based on constitution, for example.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Sep 2014, 14:10

SQUEE!

That might add some depths into strategy. However, I wouldn't create too many different kinds of constitution. Perhaps up to 5-6?

And I cannot see any LV 4 animals. Can you?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 17 Sep 2014, 14:30

Yes, there wouldn't be many. But it would be another variable to keep track of while strategising.

I can't see any level 4 animals either. It's just a placeholder for when I get inspired to add them.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 20 Sep 2014, 12:53

And here is a War Elephant unit token that will be moved around on the game board. The top circle is for the token owner's symbol. The bottom three circles are for the effects (fire, poison) that the unit is under. They will be added during the game.

The purpose of tokens is to make all the information needed for strategising available on the board itself, so that players don't have to look for it in the cards or elsewhere. This is important to me because I want to give the game a chess-like quality.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Sep 2014, 13:44

Right. The tokens of effects will have to be small to place over it, then, right?

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 22 Sep 2014, 16:39

Right. I'm using beads for now. Not sure about the final version.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Nov 2014, 18:01

I have scrapped the idea of putting unit stats onto the token itself. It was just too much information in too little space. Play testing to date suggests that memorising and looking it up from unit cards will work sufficiently well.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Nov 2014, 18:12

I think you're right. It felt like redundant work as well, many data repeated here and there. Besides, the tokens will have a cleaner look, and space for additional features you might want to represent in due course.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Nov 2014, 18:15

Double-sided cards also don't work well. Players have to keep flipping them over to see who the stats are for. I've redesigned them to keep all the game information on the front, with the flavour text being moved to the back.

Here are the new cards. See if you can guess what the symbols mean. :D
Please keep in mind that they are just meant to be functional at this stage, not stylish.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Nov 2014, 18:34

Yeah, most of the symbols I could understand but the one we can see in the first card (and other cards), in that card being the symbol below the flying bird, top right corner. What is that? It looks like a mound of goods, like food and glasses - it also looks like a crowded citadel, or simply resources. So I didn't understand what it was, specially why some cards has many of those symbol repeated.

And it's better having all info on a single side, yes.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Nov 2014, 19:09

Food. It indicates the cost of hiring the unit.

It's much clearer when printed.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 18:12

For a Level 3 or 4.

Elite Chariot - it must have a human or two, one for melee, another for ranged attacks; 2 horses; machine (wagon)

Basic abilities
  • Trample
    Can target two targets at once (one melee and one ranged)

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 08 Dec 2014, 06:36

I have added a War Chariot unit. It is a level 3 unit manned by 3 Humans (driver, shooter and melee fighter) and drawn by two Buffaloes. It is very expensive to recruit, so I made it fairly powerful as well. I might have to tone down on both fronts, but I'll see how it plays first.

I have omitted the Trample ability for now because only Elephants have it at the moment, and they are much larger. I also don't have space for more than three skills/spells/abilities on the unit card. I'll have to give this a bit more thought.

I wanted to move Lamassu out of the Homestead faction because of its double dependency on countryside creatures (one such dependency - Griffin - is enough per faction), so I used this opportunity to do that.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Dec 2014, 11:33

I didn't see the chatiot before, hoho. Sorry about that.

Or you added now? :D

I always felt lamassu was odd in human faction, although I thought you had your reasons adding those there. I'll think on other units as this week passes by.

Return to “Tabletop Forum”