Magic

Forum for discussing the Heroic tabletop game
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 13:49

I'm not posting those in the same post so we can change and add the other effects later by updating them. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 05 Dec 2014, 13:50

I like where this is going!

For simplicity's sake, I'm tempted to express the above spell restrictions as constitution = flesh (therefore not elemental, machinery, etc).

Something else to keep in mind is that I'm planning to introduce shards into the game. Shards are unit fragments that are sometimes left behind when the unit is defeated (analogous to charms from Titan Quest). Some of the spell effects might best be made available in shard form.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 14:00

Goody. :-D

Let's try a Shard one, shall we?

Eye of the Gorgon (can be acquired/found/looted after defeating a medusa/gorgon)

• Primary effect: When placed and activated on the battlefield, the Eye of the Gorgon will temporarily cause a petrifying effect on all units on the surrounding area that are facing and seeing it. The duration and area of effect depends on the magical powers of the caster and number of defeated medusa/gorgon that created the shard, who is binding the spell effect in the shard. After duration, the shard breaks apart and fades away. This effect cannot affect units that have no vision or are not made of flesh.

Is that ok?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 05 Dec 2014, 14:24

I might have to make a few simplifications, like using a fixed-size effect and always removing the shard at the end of the week. I also don't currently have vision as a unit attribute, and I don't know whether it's worth adding it.

The idea with shards, and artefacts in general, is much more elaborate. Unfortunately, I haven't given it enough thought to date to express it clearly, so watch this space. :D

On the subject of petrification, I thought of making it have the effect of changing the unit constitution into stone, which would increase its defence and decrease its speed. That way, it could be used on both friends and enemies, depending on circumstances.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 16:25

Mimic Equilibrium

• Primary effect: this spell binds two targets together - primarily, targets must have similar overall power. Each target will mimic the other action. When one attacks, the other attacks. When one is damaged, the other gets damaged. Same for movement, defense, spell casting and healing. The stronger the spell, the longer is the magical binding and the wider can be the power gap between those targets. If damage or healing widen that gap further than the spell can suffer, it'll break free.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 05 Dec 2014, 16:56

You are making it a real challenge for me to translate these into tangible tabletop mechanics. I love it!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 17:32

:hoo: Well, you are the one that knows the mechanics of things, then it's 'easier' for you doing that part, rather than me trying to figure out what to do, hohoho. :D

Zero Domain
  • Primary effect: a magical seal is cast on a point, building cold and freezing anything around it as time passes. The zero point becomes an impassable terrain, and the nearer a unit is positioned from that point, more it'll suffer effects, which vary from damage over time, solidification of the body, slower movements, even healing, depending on the target. Water can be frozen, making passable terrain over water after a while. The duration and range of effects varies depending on the power of the spell caster.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 17:41

Wild Grows
  • Primary effect: casting over a terrain, it'll make local plants and land features to improve and grow all around. It may become an impassable terrain. It can also become a terrain that will lure some specific animals, allowing certain dwellings being found. It can, at some extend, overcome other terrains, slowly. The stronger the spell, the faster is the effect and the more control the caster exert over the results.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 20:46

Squall
  • Primary effect: summons a sudden rain with strong winds that will last for a while on a huge area. Fire spells are greatly weakened by it, and only the strongest fire spells can be cast during a squall. Water-based and Wind-based spells have some stronger effects, and plasma-based spells have increased area of effect. Flying and floating units have their movement halved in a squall. Squalls can also cause flooding on the adventure map.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 20:55

Bloody Diamond
  • Primary effect: it can be cast on a pile of resource or a chest or any other pick able good on the adventure map. It'll curse the one who picked it for a while. The stronger the spell cast, the stronger will be the effect, that varies from slowing all army's movement, damaging all units of the overtime, sets all units to sleep, to others like summoning a terrain-bound magical beast that will attack or kill the enemy hero, makes hero unable to pick other resources, etc.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Dec 2014, 21:25

Time Dilation
  • Primary effect: it enchants an area with slowed time. Units that are involved by this enchantment will move, act and react slower. It can be cast on adventure map as well. The stronger the spell caster, the slower will be any affected unit.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Dec 2014, 18:18

Echo Pulsar
  • Primary effect: waves of reverberating supersonic energy shower down upon all elements around casting point. They incapacitate the living beings by throwing them out of senses and balance, damage structures, paralyze and damage stone composed units, even make affected units uncontrollable for a while. The stronger the spell casting is, the more damage is applied and the number of waves is increased.

Return to “Tabletop Forum”