disappearing boats?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
vampireprince
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

disappearing boats?

Unread postby vampireprince » 28 Mar 2009, 23:41

I'm playing the Father's Sky Fury scenario in ToTE and I've noticed my boats are disappearing when I dock them to get off and go onto land. Is this supposed to be happening or is it a bug in the game? One of my heroes has the summon boat skill, so it's no big deal, but the other doesn't. I set the one who doesn't have the summoning skill down on a little island to pick up an artifact that was there: the boat disappeared, leaving the hero stranded on the island!!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 Mar 2009, 02:26

The obvious solution is that an enemy has summon boat also. This happens a lot in the older games too.

I don't remember what's going on in this mission though.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Mar 2009, 16:48

As i recall Summon Boat doesn't work is there's no free boat somewhere...

you might even be summoning your other heroes boat...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 29 Mar 2009, 19:52

So it actually "summons" a boat? Ahh.... interesting.

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 29 Mar 2009, 21:16

Actually a more correct term is "teleport" instead of summon :P

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 29 Mar 2009, 22:16

In some maps this stupid spell can be used for insane abuses, I myself once played some quack at Ubi.com and as I reached a resource filled island, the man just summoned my boat, trapping me there with this absurd spell.

Although my main hero was higher lvl and obviously stronger, I had to sit and watch the man ground my castles and whipe out my secondary heroes, while making cheap provocations. Later on, on Ubi's channel I learned that the guy was fond of that strategy, using it over and over with different opponents.

So, IMO, together with Instant Travel, this spell can be used for abuses and ruin the whole fun of a map.

As if sea maps weren't boring enough.

W.

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 30 Mar 2009, 09:06

Tell me about it Wolfsburg. I have often been stranded on a goddamn' island... and when all boats are used (or you are a Barb w/o Vessel), it plainly sucks.

Another reason to hate those goddamn' water maps.

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 30 Mar 2009, 09:06

Tell me about it Wolfsburg. I have often been stranded on a goddamn' island... and when all boats are used (or you are a Barb w/o Vessel), it plainly sucks.

Another reason to hate those goddamn' water maps.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 Mar 2009, 10:16

I don't play water maps unless it is in story mode.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Mar 2009, 13:42

And this is why all maps should have boat builders on every island... and Adv Spells should be universal...
Lord Lakely wrote:Actually a more correct term is "teleport" instead of summon :P
Well all summon spells in games would qualify for that...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 30 Mar 2009, 17:50

Well all adventure map spells kinda suck in my opinion. Summon Boat is abusable as some of you said, Instant Travel - no comment, and teleport to town spell is weird since you don't choose the town you want. Same problem with Summon Creatures.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

vampireprince
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vampireprince » 30 Mar 2009, 22:13

Thanks to everybody who added to the thread.

I'd always thought that summon boat fashioned a boat out of thin air, but now I see it takes an actual boat from somewhere and gives it to the summoning player, so I believe that's probably what happened: the enemy AI summoned my heroes boat, effectively trapping him on the island!

vampireprince
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vampireprince » 30 Mar 2009, 22:17

I noticed a few people said they don't like water maps. What's the reason?

I like being able to sail around myself. I've always enjoyed the change of landscape. I think it gets me a little more absorbed in that "world" being created by the the game.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 Mar 2009, 23:10

You can always sail another boat out to the hero with a secondary. Really I think I just hate losing the day when you get on or off the boat. Snatch helps.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 31 Mar 2009, 03:22

Normally at the sea, object density is much wider spread than on land, which demands long paths in order to reach islands or simple objects. As if this was not time consuming enough, boat movement is insanely slow, which inevitably means you will be having lots of bland turns moving around before you actually get your hands on something.

The cherry on top of the cake is the whole concept of losing a day to board and leave a boat. This concept has been following HOMM for a long time now, and I respect the endurance of this tradition, but it is simply boring to have your logistics expert hero missing the boat for one dot and having to waste the whole next day on it.

I mean, the hero can take his 542 fat dwarves to walk 20 miles in a day but cant get them to board a friggin' boat in less than 24 hours? WTF!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2009, 08:08

To be fair boarding a boat does take a while if you're an army...

But movement on water should be 3x or more... that was always the main advantage of boats IRL anyhow...

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 01 Apr 2009, 15:48

Misteriously I knew TT was answering to the physical aspect of boarding a boat... (took you long enough, I was already thinking my guessing failed) :devious:

Indeed. I takes a while to board a boat. Lets say 8 move points. Which makes completely nonsense when you arrive at the boat with your last dot of movement and miraculously manage to get your sweaty dwarves in there before the end of the day.

And even less reasonable is when you got a rested army with fresh horses on the following day that misteriously will only manage to enter the same god damn boat by the end of the day. Even when the leader in charge is a PhD in logistics.

I say: make boat boarding like "summon creatures" spell, it requires a certain fix number of move points to be accomplished.

Water movement according to TT: agreed in all extent. Boats are much faster than people marching.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”