I have trouble getting useful advice out of those guides

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Toge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I have trouble getting useful advice out of those guides

Unread postby Toge » 14 Mar 2009, 11:29

These guides. When selecting skills for your hero, what order would you put these:

"really good skill to have"
"nice skill to have"
"decent skill"
"solid pick for any hero"
"get this skill"
"great skill for some situations"

I know some players are like little children trying to make choice between chocolate cookies and creamy marshmallows, but isn't the whole point of STRATEGY GAME to not just pick useful skills, but the *best* skills for situation? Early in the game, should I get attack or defense in order to survive against random encounters while flagging mines? Could some skills like Gating be useful only in 4-5 month games with huge armies? Someone who maxes Gating as soon as possible will suffer casualties with mine capping, effectively resulting in loss against skilled players. Why should I "never turn down" Wizard’s Reward when playing Haven and battles never last more turns than I have spell power... after using those übergood buffs?

Reasons. Not just acknowledging the fact that every skill gives you something.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Mar 2009, 13:00

This is a good point, actually... but since every skill has its use if employed in a certain combination, it's difficult to set up a numbered sequence as in best skill 1, 2, 3 etc.

I suppose the only solution would be to develop the points the guide is trying to make, as in "get this skill if you're planning to..." or "if you're playing Sylvan against..."
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”