School Rankings

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

School Rankings

Unread postby blizzardboy » 11 Feb 2009, 19:24

Let's do this:

List, in order from greatest to weakest, what you consider to be overall the best schools of magic. These lists will, obviously, have to be very generalized.

I'll start:

Destructive
Light
Dark
Summoning

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: School Rankings

Unread postby Asheera » 11 Feb 2009, 19:44

I have the exact same opinion LOL :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 11 Feb 2009, 20:05

Didn't we decide this in this poll?

viewtopic.php?t=8329

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 11 Feb 2009, 20:08

The poll is only about the strongest magic school apparently, it's not about the list from strongest to weakest.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 11 Feb 2009, 22:02

Attempt to be a rule-lawyer is a failure. You have to rank from 1 to 4 in this thread; far more comprehensive.

Jonas
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Jonas » 11 Feb 2009, 23:17

1. Light
2. Destructive
3. Dark
4. Summoning - do I ever use that? Ok, maybe phantom forces
:leo: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Feb 2009, 00:00

Dark
Light
Summoning
Destructive

RommeL_666
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RommeL_666 » 12 Feb 2009, 02:02

Jonas wrote:1. Light
2. Destructive
3. Dark
4. Summoning - do I ever use that? Ok, maybe phantom forces
you never use summoning? well it would be fun to play against you when I could call a phoenix that has 1500hp and I dont wanna even to mention his dmg.

every magic is diffrent,so only it depends what you want for your army,or should I say,how you want to spell kill your enemy.
But then again I am always for buffing my troops so..
1.Light
2.Dark
3.Summoning
4.Destructive

But then again I wont be crazy and pick light with warlocks :rolleyes:
"There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people"
jeff wrote:Me to, I usually hire the two best looking female heroes. Ok a bit of a sexist, but if I am going to stare a pictures all day, I might as well enjoy the view. :devious:

Jonas
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Jonas » 12 Feb 2009, 02:46

RommeL_666 wrote:you never use summoning? well it would be fun to play against you when I could call a phoenix that has 1500hp and I dont wanna even to mention his dmg.
Well, I'm a sylvan fan and I always go for light. To get a 1500hp phoenix it will take a lot of spellpower and that's something you usually get in the end of the game. I think it's more fun speeding up dragons and arcane archers with mass-haste and that's a thing you can get quite early. Later on you have resurrection - just love it!
:leo: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Feb 2009, 08:47

RommeL_666 wrote:But then again I wont be crazy and pick light with warlocks :rolleyes:
If you can get your hands on a source of light magic spells, light magic is excellent for the warlock. Those mass spells will work wonders, believe me.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 12 Feb 2009, 13:59

A Warlock can be effective with just about any spell school, provided of course you get the spells somehow...

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 12 Feb 2009, 20:57

RommeL_666 wrote: you never use summoning? well it would be fun to play against you when I could call a phoenix that has 1500hp and I dont wanna even to mention his dmg.
Then comes a stack of wraiths...

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 13 Feb 2009, 00:33

Asheera wrote:The poll is only about the strongest magic school apparently, it's not about the list from strongest to weakest.
I thought it kind of is about that. The way I view it, the school with the most votes is generally considered the strongest, and the one with the least is the weakest.

Of course, we probably didn't have a big enough sampling pool to go with that call. But that's a much easier way to read the data than to fathom the general concensus from a bunch of lists.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 13 Feb 2009, 00:42

danhvo wrote:I thought it kind of is about that. The way I view it, the school with the most votes is generally considered the strongest, and the one with the least is the weakest.
No. :P

What if 90% of the people consider Dark the strongest (and thus voted for it), but at the same time those 90% think Summoning is on the second place (just an example)

That poll shows Summoning with the fewest votes (and Light has almost the same votes!), and in our previous example it would be incorrect to assume it as the worst.

That poll says that Summoning is the least considered the strongest spell by the players, which does not necessarily imply that it is considered the weakest.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 13 Feb 2009, 02:14

You feel that way because you happen to disagree with the poll. I, on the other hand, do agree with it. I do think that Summoning is the weakest school, or at least in the bottom half. And I raise at least one eyebrow at anyone who puts Dark in the bottom half! :)

discostu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby discostu » 13 Feb 2009, 03:22

I guess I'm maybe 'wrong' , but the way I see it:

Destructive
Dark
Summoning
Light

I don't get what is so crazy about light when you are doing 1000+ damage implosion, casting puppet master and using arcane armor! Guess I just haven't explored Light magic enough.

Jonas
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Jonas » 13 Feb 2009, 03:28

danhvo wrote:You feel that way because you happen to disagree with the poll. I, on the other hand, do agree with it. I do think that Summoning is the weakest school, or at least in the bottom half. And I raise at least one eyebrow at anyone who puts Dark in the bottom half! :)
I don't think anyone disagrees with the poll itself, it's only the outcome of its statistical result that is doubtful. What does it say? ;|

To make it a bit more understandable what Asheera said:

There are at this point 48 voters, were 28 have voted dark, 13 destructive, 4 light and 3 summoning. Let say, that if there were a point system in a poll like this and you distribute the points among the contenders, a such system could look like this;
1:st place 4p
2:nd place 3p
3:rd place 2p
4:th place 1p

Then dark should have 112p, destructive 52p, light 16p and summoning 12p. But what if all of these voters (not the ones that already put destructive at top) had voted for destructive as the second best. It makes 35*3 more points for destructive magic = 157p. And if the 20 people that haven't voted dark as no1 voted dark as no4, then dark would have 132p.

Winner destructive magic!

But what does it say... it's just statistics :)
Mark Twain

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 13 Feb 2009, 15:07

@discostu: Simply put: those that voted for Dark in that poll may not consider Summoning the weakest. And likewise, those that voted for Summoning (they consider it the strongest) may not consider Dark the weakest - so it does not balance out. Therefore, you can't draw any conclusion from that poll, except which is the spell school most considered the best by the people here.
Jonas wrote:But what does it say... it's just statistics :)
Agreed here ;)

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 14 Feb 2009, 13:42

Lol, there is no such thing as a "Best school" Ranking. It's pointless, as their use depends on so many things you simply cannot call A better than B.

As a Ranger, I would rarely take Summoning (not counting Dirael here), but if I can get my hand on the TOme of Summoning... Why not?

Overall, the most Usefull school is Light imo - There's NO Faction that cannot use some good buffing.

And if I were to name the least usefull, Summoning comes to mind - It's usefullness COMPLETELY depends on what spells you get, and its main use is mainly Supportive, as a Supplement to other schools.

-My 2Cts

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 21 Feb 2009, 02:05

well I've only got close to 450 games at www.toheroes.com by now... so what do I know...?
to rank schools of magic (in general terms) is damn hard.....!
by now I've tried most combinations...
any faction (who got access to magic) not stronghold ofc...) can pick ANY magic, and still win... :)

1 time I played against Stronghold (as warlock), I used Light/Summ....
I guess you know how I won....
other times I can be necro with Light/dark (or light/summ...) I'm pretty sure you manage to figure out how it's possible to win with that combination too....
my fav. one is: Ranger with Summ. magic....
imbue/rain, hive, trap (or as Dirael.... Imbue/Rain.... I guees you figure out what spell to use... :) )

but as I say... I'm a noob so... what do I know...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”