Updating and uninstall problems

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Trollet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Updating and uninstall problems

Unread postby Trollet » 07 Feb 2009, 10:33

Hi...

Ok here is the problem:

I have installed Heroes V and wanted to update it. I downloaded patch 1.4 (my current version is 1.0). Yes it is the correct one(EU). I install the patch but somehow it is not installed. It says install complete, but I still have version 1.0. Restart does not help. Reinstalling patch says "patch alredy installed". I tired the US and collector patches but then I get other errors that says the game is not installed etc.

Well I tired to uninstall the game completly. And here is the really wierd stuff... It will not work! Uninstall goes very quick but says it is complete. But I can still play the game after uninstalling. Uninstalling with add/remove program will not work either. So now I can not reinstall Heroes V because when I try it only wants to uninstall but it does not...

The most annoying thing is that I have had the game installed and patched on this very PC before. I did a total reinstall of the PC a few month ago and before that the game worked fine. But now it does not. Only thing that has changed is that I now run XP SP3 instead of XP SP2.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Feb 2009, 13:08

Have you had a read on our patch pages?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Updating and uninstall problems

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Feb 2009, 13:23

Trollet wrote:Well I tired to uninstall the game completly. And here is the really wierd stuff... It will not work! Uninstall goes very quick but says it is complete. But I can still play the game after uninstalling.
Well that's extremely weird. I have heard of this problem a few times before, and unfortunately I don't know of any solution.

I still don't get why some people have these problems with patching/uninstalling when I never had them, even when I tried H5 on both a XP SP2 machine and my new XP SP3 one. The only explanation I can find is that those that encounter these problems have a cracked version or something. Sorry in advance if that sounded rude if you really bought the game.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 07 Feb 2009, 14:17

You'll have to make a save of the registry and clear out the heroes v files from there. There are detailed instructions in the ubi tech forum.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Feb 2009, 14:40

What I find weird is that he can still play the game, therefore the uninstall didn't delete even the H5 files (and not just 'forgot' to remove the registry)

Anyway for H5 registry, do the following:

Go to Start->Run.

Type regedit and press Enter.

Now open up HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE and then Ubisoft.

All folders which are about Heroes 5 there should be deleted after uninstall, so remove them if they still are there.

Then exit regedit and go to the directory you installed H5 with the usual Windows Explorer (or something similar) and delete all H5 related folders.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing as uninstalling though, not sure if H5 does some other stuff when installing.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Trollet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trollet » 08 Feb 2009, 07:55

Ok thanks, I shall try to delete the registry files manualy and the game files manualy. I'll come back to tell you how it turned out.

Btw I did read the patches page and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything out. But I will read it again...

I do have a very leagal copy of the game. A package they called "silver edition" with original Heroes 5 and Hammers of fate. The two games come on two seperate discs.

I tried uninstall Hammers of fate and that worked out fine. I have not yet tried to patch it but I will when I get the original game to work.

Trollet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trollet » 08 Feb 2009, 10:52

Hi again!

I managed to solve the problem. I basicly followed Asheeras tips. But I also had to track down where the uninstall program was installed which wasn't installed in the Heroes directory. After I had manualy deleted these files too I could reinstall Heroes 5. After that I could patch the game to 1.4. Also I patched it with 1.41, 1.5 and 1.6.

Credits to all of you!
Thanks for your help! :)

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Feb 2009, 23:11

Great!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”