Duel Mode heroes unbalanced?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Duel Mode heroes unbalanced?

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 03 Feb 2009, 19:45

I just reinstalled Heroes 5: TotE and tried out the Duel Mode. Do you guys the heroes in Duel Mode poorly balanced? I was playing against Ossir with a couple of heroes and he pretty much whooped all my Dungeon and Academy heroes except for the genie guy.

It seems:
- Dungeon heroes all have pretty bad skill and spell sets. Lethos had Master of Mind, Expert Dark Magic, and all high level Dark spells but no Mass Confusion. Eruina and Sinitar are just plain bad.
- Dungeon heroes do not have Altar of the Elements
- Sylvan heroes have all the enemy troops marked as favoured enemy (Not fair to Dungeon heroes, since they don't get elemental chains for units)
- Ossir has very imba artifacts: +2 luck, +1 morale, Archer's Dream set

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 19:54

Yes it is very unbalanced, and some heroes simply wipe the floor with others.

Ossir and Irina are generally the most overpowered ones though.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 03 Feb 2009, 19:57

Are there mods that lets you create new or customize duel Heroes then? By the way... you think Irina is overpowered? You meant Vittorio right?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 20:13

Vittorio is mediocre, Irina is the one overpowered :P

Anwen I think is overpowered as well...

And there is the Duel Editor (accessible from the Map Editor), but it sucks... I think it creates even more imba heroes.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 03 Feb 2009, 20:33

Asheera wrote:Vittorio is mediocre, Irina is the one overpowered :P

Anwen I think is overpowered as well...

And there is the Duel Editor (accessible from the Map Editor), but it sucks... I think it creates even more imba heroes.
Vittorio has a decent selection of mass Dark spells though... Mass Slow, Mass Confusion, then Mass Haste.

Edit: Just tried the Duel Editor. It's restricted to Level 15 and places caps on unit and stats. Also, different it seems custom presets cannot be dueled against default heroes. Who wrote that crappy editor anyway...? (Takes insanely long to load too).

Edit2: I remade Lethos with Expert Destruction (Master of Ice + Cold Death), Sorcery (Magic Insight), and Luck (Soldier's Luck Magic Resistance + Warlock's Luck). Totally whooped Ossir's ass (Circle of Winter spam). I feel satisfied now.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 21:05

Just one note: are we talking about Tribes of the East (second expansion)? Because if not, you may have a point, I remember Irina not being as strong before...

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 03 Feb 2009, 21:06

Tribe of the East.

Tell me why she is strong.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 21:11

Insane Morale and Initiative, doesn't let the other side act many times. I think even Auto-Combat wins with her all the time (except maybe against Ossir and Anwen)

With Auto-Combat I meant to set both players in that mode, and see who wins (AI vs AI) :D

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 03 Feb 2009, 21:23

She's weak on the magic side and easily gets whooped by heroes with Expert Dark. Also Ossir beats her hands down. So far I only can beat Ossir with Vittosio and Galib out of the 8 heroes I tried.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 03 Feb 2009, 22:49

You look like a good candidate for the duel map.

I'd be happy to play it with you online. PM me for details.

Elvin and Asheera cooked it up.

http://www.speedyshare.com/587131459.html choosing factions
http://www.speedyshare.com/830949925.html random

If you level up both heroes and then fight you can use autocombat on one side. Enjoy.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 22:52

Note that the heroes in that Duel Map have no specialty (in fact, they have pathfinder), so don't be like "why these heroes?" because it doesn't matter, they have been chosen only for their portrait. :D

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 04 Feb 2009, 01:18

Should've asked us to balance the heroes for them :/

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 04 Feb 2009, 07:58

The Stronghold in those matches are the funniest. Haggash and that other chick are so pathetic and get slaughtered almost all the time. Then you have the Wyvern hero. Fighting the Wyvern hero takes forever because he has those super HP wyverns, plus a massive amount of goblins and a lot of defense. It takes sooo long.

I didn't see the Dungeon heroes as bad though. They have possibly the most balanced heroes in it. The duels are highly unrealistic, but I love it when I get Eruina and I have those big stacks of blood maidens and then a lot of witches as well.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 04 Feb 2009, 08:40

Yeah I didn't even try the Stronghold heroes simply because they were all built wrong (i.e. low morale and luck). From my perpsective, I see morale being indispensible for Stronghold armies simply because:
(1) Shouts suck (except for Fear My Roar)
(2) Centaurs are the only range and they suck
(3) Stacks need to rack up rage points quickly or they will face genocidal losses very quickly

Eruina's a pretty bad hero by the way - Witches and Matriachs are among the weakest Level 6 units in the game. It'd be nice if her specialty increases the Dark Magic expertise of Witches and Matriachs (i.e. Expert Dark, Master of Mind, etc).

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 04 Feb 2009, 13:36

I forgot to say that Deirdre is also a very powerful hero, you could say she is overpowered against some heroes, especially might ones.

For example, Shak (the Orc Wyvern hero) has absolutely no chance against her, even though he wipes the floor with some heroes (so he is not that bad)

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 05 Feb 2009, 08:04

I'd define overpowered as being vastly above average in terms of overall strength. The fact that Deidre has a large advantage over other heroes can simply be due to her build being a natural counter to some of the other heroes.

On the other hand, I consider Ossir as overpowered because he simply has so many unfair advantages over others (fully powered Avenger, extremely powerful combination of artifacts).

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Feb 2009, 21:45

And how does Ossir do against Sinitar? I still say nival duel mode is a waste of time.

You should try the map I linked to.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 06 Feb 2009, 06:44

I didn't try, but he will probably mop the floor with Sinitar's ass.

By the way, I think there might be a bug with Warlock's Luck. I played a customized Lethos against the default Irina. When Warlock's Luck is triggered, I actually deal half the damage (wtf?). Maybe it has something to do with Armor of Forgotten Hero?

Edit: It is possible to beat Ossir with Sinitar if an A.I. plays Ossir (i.e. A.I. crowds all units together). But if I just spread out the units and play Ossir myself, Sinitar can barely survive the second round.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 06 Feb 2009, 13:45

ywhtptgtfo wrote:By the way, I think there might be a bug with Warlock's Luck. I played a customized Lethos against the default Irina. When Warlock's Luck is triggered, I actually deal half the damage (wtf?). Maybe it has something to do with Armor of Forgotten Hero?
Maybe Magic Resistance triggered and you dealt less damage because of Irresistible Magic (still better than none like other factions though :P)

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 06 Feb 2009, 20:38

Asheera wrote:
ywhtptgtfo wrote:By the way, I think there might be a bug with Warlock's Luck. I played a customized Lethos against the default Irina. When Warlock's Luck is triggered, I actually deal half the damage (wtf?). Maybe it has something to do with Armor of Forgotten Hero?
Maybe Magic Resistance triggered and you dealt less damage because of Irresistible Magic (still better than none like other factions though :P)
I don't think Irresistible Magic does anything to bypass Magic Resistance (at least not according to the tool-tip).

By the way, is there a WoG/Equilibris-like mod in the works for H5? I thought of making a mod to balance the Matriarchs but then wouldn't bother to if someone else is doing it.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”