protecting ranged/weaker units with others

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
adecoy95
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

protecting ranged/weaker units with others

Unread postby adecoy95 » 06 Dec 2008, 07:18

i thought i remember being able to use the tank units, like golems and treants to block ranged attacks from reaching surrounded stacks.

is there a way to protect my weaker units from ranged damage reaching them using my toughter units?

Ironmallet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironmallet » 06 Dec 2008, 15:13

Perhaps you're thinking of HeroesIV?
is there a way to protect my weaker units from ranged damage reaching them using my toughter units?
Not entirely, but the 'Shield Other' ability(Squires and Skeleton Warriors) reduces damage from ranged attacks if placed adjacent to other units. Similarly, unicorns can reduce spell damage in the same manner.

That's all I can think of right now as far as units protecting other units is concerned.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 06 Dec 2008, 15:58

There is no way you can protect your units from enemy ranged attacks. However, as Ironmallet said, the Shield Allies ability some units have reduces the ranged damage of the adjacent units by 50%.

Moreover, there's the Deflect Missile Spell (level 3 Light), which reduces the ranged damage the target receives. And there's also Confusion spell (level 3 Dark), which is applied on the enemy, and reduces the target's ranged damage (if you have Expert Dark Magic, the target won't even be able to shoot!)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Dec 2008, 17:44

Asheera wrote:There is no way you can protect your units from enemy ranged attacks.
FALSE... you can kill the enemy ranged units. Duh... :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 06 Dec 2008, 17:56

Hehe, of course, you can also block them, but I wouldn't call that 'protection'. ;)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Dec 2008, 17:59

as they say, the best protection is killing them all and burning the bodies.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

adecoy95
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby adecoy95 » 07 Dec 2008, 07:59

does anyone have any tips for playing sylvan? im using the ossir hero because he boosts my faverote unit (arcane archers).

if i press the shield button on my hero instead of taking an action, where does the extra defense go?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Dec 2008, 12:12

To the unit, but it's hardly a good strategy... that's why we cried murder and had them keep the wait function (W) even if they didn't add the Wait button until pretty late in the games life.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Dec 2008, 12:39

Using Defense increases your unit's defense by 30%, until the creature's next turn. It's not a good option for shooters at all, when you can shoot instead.

The best way to protect your Arcane Archers is to use Deflect Missile or Resurrection (to bring them back to life after they have been killed). They have low HP and die easily, but this also means they are easily brought back to life as well - it works both ways :D

And Wait is not a lot better than Defense - especially now that Defense can get Morale and the unit will act like it used Wait, but gain 30% defense as well.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Dec 2008, 12:45

Asheera wrote: And Wait is not a lot better than Defense - especially now that Defense can get Morale and the unit will act like it used Wait, but gain 30% defense as well.
What?! Since when?!

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Dec 2008, 12:46

I don't remember exactly... it was definitely from Tribes but I'm not sure if HoF 2.1 had it as well.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Dec 2008, 12:53

Wow, i hope not, because i never noticed it while playing TotE...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Dec 2008, 13:06

Probably because you never use Defend? :P

It does work that way, I can assure you (and you should have high morale for higher chances, if you really want to test this out)

The same time it changed like this, Morale also changed to trigger after casting a spell and using an ability (like Battle Dive - yes, the Griffins will land faster if they trigger Morale when diving)

adecoy95
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby adecoy95 » 07 Dec 2008, 15:38

another question

is it possible to get the skills im aiming for? or any way to make the skill boxes go in a favorable direction? it seems once my hero learned destruction from a witch hut all i got from then on was nothing but caster skills (even tho i wanted more archer style skills

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Dec 2008, 15:59

See my answer on point (4) in this thread. ;)

And you should also read the Fan Manual to understand it better - it's excellent and offers a lot of interesting information.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 07 Dec 2008, 23:13

ThunderTitan wrote:as they say, the best protection is killing them all and burning the bodies.
Sometimes the best defence, is a good offence. Or something like that, you know what I mean!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 08 Dec 2008, 06:58

darknessfood wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:as they say, the best protection is killing them all and burning the bodies.
Sometimes the best defence, is a good offence. Or something like that, you know what I mean!
Esp. with Dwarfs and Preparation :devil:

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 09 Dec 2008, 00:48

ThunderTitan wrote:To the unit, but it's hardly a good strategy... that's why we cried murder and had them keep the wait function (W) even if they didn't add the Wait button until pretty late in the games life.
What? Are you sure? I thought a hero's defending does nothing, except causing the hero to lose his turn. From the fan manual, "Heroes can perform different actions: wait and defend (even if defending doesn't make much sense since they cannot be attacked) ..."

If a hero's defending will boost his units' defense, then it definitely makes sense sometimes to do so (e.g. when he runs out of mana and his direct attack does negligible damage).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Dec 2008, 09:31

I'm not even sure a hero can defend... i never tried that as what would be the point?!

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Dec 2008, 12:35

Oh, you were talking about the Hero? Yes, in that case, it's completely useless and bad actually since you'll lose the whole turn instead of only half when waiting.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”