Vista compatability

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
bltbri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Vista compatability

Unread postby bltbri » 26 Nov 2008, 14:12

Hello all, I've been putting it off for as long as possible but it looks like my good ol' XP system is dying a slow death and I may have to get a new computer soon. I was hoping someone could let me know if Heroes 5 runs OK on Vista. Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 26 Nov 2008, 14:17

Heroes 5 is not officially supported on Vista

However, I know a lot of people that have Vista (I have XP), and they play Heroes 5 perfectly.

So, yes it works. Whether you need to do some special things to get it to work or not is beyond my knowledge, however.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Nov 2008, 14:25

Or you could just save yourself a bunch of money and just use your old XP installation on the new PC...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Nov 2008, 02:08

I have VISTA and it works fine for me.

The only problem I have is with the editor in VISTA. Lots of crashes.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 28 Nov 2008, 00:17

It never even occurred to me that the game wouldn't work in Vista. I have Vista and it works just fine. I didn't notice anything with the editor either, but then, I don't use the editor much.

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 06 Dec 2008, 00:54

For what it's worth... I bought my current system just to be able to play HOMM and it came with Vista. I have rarely had a problem with compatability. The one thing that made me crazy for some time was trying to get the cheat system to function. There is a file that must be edited and Vista wouldn't allow me to get to it. I finally determined that I had to grant myself rights to the directory the file was in. I didn't realize that because it had never come up in any prior Windows version. Other than that, enjoy...

Synonymous
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Synonymous » 09 Dec 2008, 01:20

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:I have VISTA and it works fine for me.

The only problem I have is with the editor in VISTA. Lots of crashes.
This is my situation exactly.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Dec 2008, 09:25

Ed Robinson wrote:and it came with Vista.
and about 100$ more at least...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ReinierK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ReinierK » 02 Feb 2009, 15:55

Runs fine on Vista 64 bit here, lots of editor crashes indeed and your profile isn't stored in "My Documents" but rather in "Documents"... "My Documents" isn't accesible in Vista (why the crap did they put it there then?)...

The game itself runs very well, not a single crash yet.

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 04 Feb 2009, 02:29

You have to grant yourself rights into the folder. Right click the folder, click properties, click the security tab, click the edit button, add your user to the list and check your rights below. I have Home Premium and that was how I did it. I haven't seen a copy of the 64 bit but I'd be surprised if it didn't work the same.

Good luck!

ReinierK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ReinierK » 04 Feb 2009, 08:29

No, "My Documents" isn't supposed to be there in the first place, it's only there because of upgrade issues with XP...

Your "My DOcuments" folder is now transferred to "Documents" and there you have "My Games" under which HOMM5 keeps its profiles and such...

Better keep out of "My Documents" from now on ;-)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”