HoMM V: Island of One's Own scenario question

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM V: Island of One's Own scenario question

Unread postby xhepera » 04 Oct 2008, 20:19

I'm playing the scenario called An Island of One's Own in HoMM V standard. The map is composed of several islands in an archipelago. I'm having a major problem with travel. I use the shipyard to build a galley to take me to other islands but many times when I go back for the ship after completing whatever I'm doing, the ship is gone and I'm stuck on an island away from my fortress. Thank god for saved games. The Ship of Shalassa spell that I have doesn't seem to ever work. Instant Travel, likewise, doesn't seem to do anything.

I suppose that I could hire a third hero and run her or him to pick up my stranded main (tho' I'm not sure if the main could use the galley at that point) but all that would do would be to leave the newly hired hero stranded at that point.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the game doing something wrong? lol! Be kind. I'm a rank newbie here. And thanks in advance for any help.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: HoMM V: Island of One's Own scenario question

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 04 Oct 2008, 20:29

Are you standing at the very edge of the ramp leading down to the water when you cast the vessel spell? I never had a problem with casting it on the map. Just edge closer to the water. And be sure to take those lighthouses so you can sail around the ocean quickly.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 05 Oct 2008, 05:24

The main problem is really why the devil my boats are disappearing. :(

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 05 Oct 2008, 05:37

xhepera wrote:The main problem is really why the devil my boats are disappearing. :(
Because enemy heroes are summoning them. :)
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 05 Oct 2008, 06:40

Because enemy heroes are summoning them.
Seriously?!? Okay, I had no idea that was possible. hmmph :mad: Why those. . .

How does that work exactly? Like I said, above, rank newbie here. Thanks for the heads up.

infael
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby infael » 06 Oct 2008, 01:55

The enemy has the Vessel of Shalassa spell too. :)

You need to be in the water to cast Vessel.
Dell XPS 400, 2 Gb RAM
-Win 7
-all King's Bounty games; M&M 1-9, HOMM 1-6

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 07 Oct 2008, 05:45

If your boat is lost, let a secondairy hero visit a shipyard a build a boat. Then cast Vessel of Shalyssa ;)

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Re: HoMM V: Island of One's Own scenario question

Unread postby danhvo » 07 Oct 2008, 21:46

xhepera wrote:Instant Travel, likewise, doesn't seem to do anything.
After you cast Instant Travel, if you hover the cursor around the hero, it has a certain shape that indicates that if you click there (you must select a point to Instant-Travel to), the hero will jump to that point, bypassing any intervening barrier. If you hover too far, the cursor changes shape to indicate that that point is out of reach for Instant Travel.

If you can move to the new square in a straight line, it will usually cost you less movement points than Instant Travel, unless you're on difficult terrain and have no skill in Logistic. So mainly the only time it's useful is when you want to jump across something to avoid going around it. The distance allowed by Instant Travel is very short, which is a major complain people have about this spell.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 08 Oct 2008, 11:11

danhvo wrote:The distance allowed by Instant Travel is very short, which is a major complain people have about this spell.
Complain? It already is broken at times :P
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Oct 2008, 17:08

Yes, in HOMM5 instant travel is more of a utility spell than something you use to beebop around the map.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 08 Oct 2008, 19:35

How to fix instant travel: Have it move a lot further (Whole screen-ish, depending on your resolution) but have it take a full day's movement.
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 08 Oct 2008, 20:18

Do you think that changes much? It will allow you to pass large mountains even more easy. :P (mountains which couldn't be passed with the small radius we have now)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 08 Oct 2008, 21:59

I know :-P

It's underpowered :-P
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Oct 2008, 22:22

Expanding the range of Instant Travel would break some existing maps. Barriers (mountain ranges, seas, forests, ect) are a big part of game play.

And on new maps map makers would be forced to make huge areas that are just for barriers or else disable the spell.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 09 Oct 2008, 00:19

Yeah, it would, but what's wrong with that? Just disable the spell.

(This is why you don't magically institute it now, but rather wait until H6 to change it.)

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 09 Oct 2008, 01:42

Hi there,

Just to explain something that wasn't clear for me in the beggining as well. Vessel of Shalassa doens't create boats out of thin air. It basically summons an empty boat which happened to be lying around your current location.

Although it sounds cute, this allows the most stupid abuses you can imagine. I have personally experienced in a multiplayer game, the opponent, being much weaker then I was, leaving me stuck on an island for he had cast this forsaken spell, leaving me no exit but to watch him taking everything I had and parading around with occupied boats, just to irritate me (leaving of course, not a single boat empty).

The computer uses this exact spell, although not necessarily as an abuse, but simply because it comes out cheaper then building a new boat. As mentioned above this can get you into very... VERY bad circumstances. A possible way out of this would be hiring a secondary hero, building a boat and leaving it empty on the shore, so your main hero can summon it from abroad.

Another solution would be, playing maps with either no water (or at least no small desert islands). Which is MY usual way to circumvent this stupid spell.

Last but not least, about instant travel: this spell is both absolutely useless and one of the most imbalanced spells at the same time. What do I mean by that? Well, the distance you can cover with it is at most, laughable. You waste a whole day for a five step teleportation, which doens't improve with hero leveling or wathever.

So why is that, that it is so imbalanced? Because in many maps a five step teleportation range is exactly the distance needed to: bypass garrisons, small mountain chains that were not meant to be transpassed, and basically ruin whole logical orders of many maps. (Reason why it is often removed by mapmakers)

Trust me, in your case this spell simply doens't translate solution.

Take care, and nice games!
W.

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 14 Oct 2008, 19:05

Hi all. I haven't had a chance to post recently, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the great help. explanation, tips and advice that you've given me. It's much appreciated and y'all are fantastic! Thanks again. :)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”