What is your favorite map type?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Multiplayer map
18%
Campaign
24%
Story/RPG map
29%
Small amount of story
6%
If I want a story I'll read a book!
6%
Allied map
18%

Total votes: 17

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 04 Oct 2008, 08:26

My favorite is rpg maps.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

durin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby durin » 04 Oct 2008, 11:35

Voted Allied maps. Good for hotseat play.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 04 Oct 2008, 11:39

Multiplayer and Allied maps. :)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 04 Oct 2008, 12:15

allied map for sure
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 04 Oct 2008, 14:15

If I want a story I'll read a book! :D My favorite are free-for-alls. Give me the maximum number of players, everyone for himself.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Oct 2008, 14:29

I voted for campaigns. I love leading your hero from one mission to the next, all neatly packaged with a good story and well-designed maps.

I equally like playing essentially story-less, non-rpg maps where each player starts in his corner of the map with strong guardians on the borders and lots of monsters to fight in the starting area. My favourite HoMM V map of this kind is Rise to Power and I have played it more than all the other HoMM V maps combined. Though I should say I have modified it (like each of my favourite maps across all HoMM games), making the border guardians much much stronger, putting more goodies in the desert and enhancing the desert guards as well. Pure fun!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 04 Oct 2008, 14:31

Small amount of story, preferably humorous. Like that Inheritance map in H3 :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 04 Oct 2008, 14:33

Kristo wrote:My favorite are free-for-alls. Give me the maximum number of players, everyone for himself.
And if you get eliminated the first in the first month it sucks :P :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 04 Oct 2008, 15:30

I like fighting neutrals and building up my army more then the chasing around enemy heroes and try to win part
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Oct 2008, 15:58

haloswift wrote:I like fighting neutrals and building up my army more then the chasing around enemy heroes and try to win part
Ditto. In general, I much prefer the earlier to mid part of the game, when you're struggling to survive, the excitement of choosing skills...
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 04 Oct 2008, 16:12

Story maps...

Give me Timothy Duncan's Goldheart or the Pride series both from H3 any day. I have yet to find any map that comes to the level of Goldheart, although some approach the Pride series, which is a far distant second. Any recommendations? GOW - don't put ANOTHER plug in for your map :-P I played it for like a week and didn't like it very much - it had a castle. I don't like single player maps with castles. I'm very particular. And yes, I realize that's not very fair. :-P
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 04 Oct 2008, 17:05

If it's singleplayer and has no story then I'm going nowhere near it. Campaigns are almost always good, as long as they have decent heroes and a plot worth playing through. I dislike the ones which revolve totally around one faction, though.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 04 Oct 2008, 17:52

John.Galt wrote:Story maps...
GOW - don't put ANOTHER plug in for your map :-P I played it for like a week and didn't like it very much - it had a castle. I don't like single player maps with castles. I'm very particular. And yes, I realize that's not very fair. :-P
Are you refering to Seize the Throne or Shadow Dreams? And are you talking about the Haven when you say "castle?" Both maps have multiple sides playable. Or are you saying you don't like any map in which you might face Haven?

Oh, when I mention my maps in the map making forum it is to point to the scripts that folks ask about, not to try to plug them. There are examples of lots of scripts in the maps. You can learn a lot by looking at the scripts others have written.

rdeford has made some story maps and his "Virgin of Ponce 3" should be posted here soon. And his maps are scritped. For a listing of his HOMM5 maps Click here

Have you played Lord Garrick Stahlrad by Myythryyn? Thats a good one. Click here
Last edited by Grumpy Old Wizard on 04 Oct 2008, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 04 Oct 2008, 17:59

Agree with Kristo. MP maps.
ZZZzzzz....

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 04 Oct 2008, 18:08

Don't take offense GOW, I was just joking. I was referring to shadow dreams. I didn't know you had written another one. I didn't mean castle as in Haven, I meant it as in any town that gives you creatures. :-P In the map I'm making, you never get a town, lol. Or at least that's the plan, I'm only about 1/6th done. I work slowly. I might let you get an empire at the end. Cause I want the necromancers to have one. Yeah, you'll probably get some towns at the end. I just need to figure out how to do it.

But like I said in that other thread, I'm kind of insane when it comes to my preferences in maps. I just don't like towns. Towns lead to empires, and empires destroy story lines.

And I know you're not plugging your maps, again, I was making fun of you (And many others who plug maps, which I'm sure I'll do when I finish mine.)

Edit: Yeah, I've tried to play a few of redfords... I find it very difficult to get "into" the story of maps. If I don't get caught within a week and curious about what's going on, I can't motivate myself to finish it. But like I said, I'm insanely picky, which is a lot of the reason I'm writing my map.
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 04 Oct 2008, 21:34

Asheera wrote:
Kristo wrote:My favorite are free-for-alls. Give me the maximum number of players, everyone for himself.
And if you get eliminated the first in the first month it sucks :P :D
Two words: PLAY BETTER. B-) In all seriousness, I like being on edge from day 1. Makes me feel like I earned victory when I have the threat of elimination hanging over me like that.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 05 Oct 2008, 07:40

Multiplayer and allied maps. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay of Heroes 5 is awesome, but the campaign... I'll leave my thoughts on it to myself.
^^It's my little girl! But YOU will address her as Princess Strawberry Blizzard :mad:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”