Sylvan town graphics problem

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mhowe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Sylvan town graphics problem

Unread postby mhowe » 21 Sep 2008, 03:23

I just bought and installed and the sylvan town comes up as a black outline -- things function, but graphics in the town screen are just shadows. I reinstalled both with and without the 3.1 patch and tried various in-game video options but no luck. It does not affect any of the other town types. On the adventure map, water shows up as brown; not sure if this is related or not. Anyone have any ideas?

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 21 Sep 2008, 14:41

Hmmm... no clue. Do you have a good enough graphics card?

Also, did you buy TotE standalone or the entire set?
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 21 Sep 2008, 15:22

Can you try being a bit more specific? For instance telling us whats your chipset, videoboard, windows version, game version
and in-game video settings...

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 21 Sep 2008, 17:27

If you meet the minimum system requirements try a complete uninstall and reinstall of tht game. Here are the TOE requirements from the readme file. Total amount of RAM is very important as is a good video card. Oh, make sure your drivers are updated, especially your video driver.

Minimum
-------

- CPU: Pentium 4 / Athlon 1.5 GHz or higher
- RAM: 1024 MB or higher
- Video: 128 MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4200 / RADEON 8500 or higher video card
- DVD-ROM speed: 4x
- Sound: DirectX compatible PCI 16-bit sound card

Recommended
-----------

- CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400 / Athlon 64 X2 5000+ or higher
- RAM: 2048MB or higher
- Video: 256 MB PCE-E NVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI RADEON x1600 or higher video card
- DVD-ROM speed: 4x
- Dolby Surround 5.1 sound processor
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 21 Sep 2008, 17:42

I heard about this problem with the Sylvan Town a lot of times from multiple members, but don't remember the fix, and IIRC every time there was a different solution... it's kinda weird if you ask me.

For example here is one, but wasn't fixed unfortunately...
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

mhowe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

my system

Unread postby mhowe » 21 Sep 2008, 20:15

I am playing TOTE as a standlone game, no prior HOMM5 install. I have a Core 2 Due processor, 3 gig of ram, Vista 32, and on-board graphics. No video card. But if that's the problem, why does everything else in the game run and look great except for one town screen?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 21 Sep 2008, 20:46

Did you install DirectX 9? DirectX 10 does NOT include it (don't worry, installing 9 won't mess up with 10)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

mhowe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mhowe » 21 Sep 2008, 20:54

Thanks. How do I check my system to find out what versions of Direct X are installed?

mhowe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mhowe » 21 Sep 2008, 21:09

Okay, I found my direct X version and it was 10. I reinstalled 9.0c from the TOTE disk, but it didn't fix the problem. I think I had already installed 9.0c when I first installed the game.

jwallstone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jwallstone » 22 Sep 2008, 16:32

I have this problem too. I looked it up elsewhere (can't remember where) and it appears that it is simply because your graphics card isn't good enough, and people seemed to say that there really isn't a fix. I've just learned to live with it. Thankfully, the problem is only limited to this.

I performed the exact same installation on someone else's desktop, with a better graphics card, and the sylvan town showed up. It's a pity, since it's quite an impressive town.

If you find a fix, please post it! I would love to know too.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”