The Haven Skill Options Kind of Lame

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

The Haven Skill Options Kind of Lame

Unread postby blizzardboy » 16 Aug 2008, 00:57

Did anybody notice that Haven's skill options are kind of lame? They only have 2 unique skills that I see: Fallen Knight and Guardian angel. Aside from that they have a tendency to have less skills to pick from in general. If they ever make a version update for 3.0, they should toss in a few different skills. I don't think they should be buffed per se, I just think they need spiced up a bit with more variety. I realize that will inadvertently buff them a bit too, but oh well.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Aug 2008, 07:07

Are you serious? Apart from orcs and dwarves(that used to have many unique skills before tote) all factions have 2-3 unique perks so I don't get your point.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 16 Aug 2008, 11:20

I hate the fact that Warlock's Luck is now available to other classes :disagree:
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 16 Aug 2008, 14:26

Asheera wrote:I hate the fact that Warlock's Luck is now available to other classes :disagree:
Amen... Warlock's luck should be for Warlocks
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 17 Aug 2008, 05:25

John.Galt wrote:Amen... Warlock's luck should be for Warlocks
That seems fair. As it is right now, the Warlock is the only class that doesn't have any unique ability.

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 17 Aug 2008, 05:56

Elvin wrote:Are you serious? Apart from orcs and dwarves(that used to have many unique skills before tote) all factions have 2-3 unique perks so I don't get your point.
I guess 2 unique specs isn't that bad. But when I click on the different factions skill wheels, knight looks sparse compared to some of the other ones Runemage and demonlord are packed. Knight is pretty packed up in the topright corner with dark/light/destructive, but besides that they look the sparsest other than barbarian.

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 17 Aug 2008, 09:22

Asheera wrote:I hate the fact that Warlock's Luck is now available to other classes :disagree:
You are Serious? I love it!

And the Warlock's Skill tree is buld totally different than theothers. Erratic Mana and Warlock's Luck are laughably easy to get, and they are the best perks for Warlocks IMO.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 17 Aug 2008, 10:52

I think the point he's trying to make is that Warlock's Luck is no longer available just to the Warlock hero. The Warlock hero is the only one that doesn't have any skills unique to them anymore, seeing as Erratic Mana is available to everyone else too. I recall I similar thread saying how Runemages are no longer the only people to get Ignite or Swift Mind...
To empathise the point:
The Barbarian has 11 (ignoring the Shout Training as it's Arcane Training in disguise).
The Runemage has 7.
The Demonlord has 5.
The Necromancer has 5.
The Ranger has 5.
The Wizard has 3.
The Knight has 2.
The Warlock has none.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Aug 2008, 11:04

All right, to explain my point further:

I hate two problems with the new skill-wheel:

1) A lot of skills are no longer unique to some classes. Warlock's Luck should be available only to the Warlock, for example.

2) Triple Ballista + Flaming Arrows Combo. I just hate this. It is now available to ALL classes (!) ; Before, not even ONE class had this combo available IIRC.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 17 Aug 2008, 11:38

Asheera wrote:... Flaming Arrows...
I am having problem with this one as well... why is it in the Demon Lord's way to get the Urgash's Call? I don't see where you can use it with the Demon Lord; Ballista is not the strongest of the Demon Lord's weapon, I personally think that it should be in the path for the Nature's Luck, with the (Triple and Imbue) Ballista. Some may say it will become overpowered, but I am pretty sure if you touch some of the other races path to the "ultimate" the game will become much more funnier to play.

As for the Knight unique stuff and blah-blah; don't forget that some of them "usual" skills are so easy to get and in a great path, unlike like on the other races: Retribution (ouch!), Divine Guidance and Empathy (OUCH!), also the Light-Dark Magic combo with the Fallen Knight is a real pain in the ass. Usually I am not picking the Defence skill, since I found it some sort of a useless.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 17 Aug 2008, 14:02

The factions with no destructive magic in their mage guilds have no access to warlock's luck, which makes sense, but then again, why have access to skills like ignite?

As for the knight, his skill wheel does look sparse. What is really ridiculous is that leadership is the emptiest of all of them when it should be the knight's forte with some neat perks.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Aug 2008, 16:02

Ballista IS one of the best if not best weapon for demonlords. Their ballista is even superior to the one of the orcs with its only downside that flaming is harder to get. However demons can ALSO take dark so..
- Metathron

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 17 Aug 2008, 19:19

I have only one question. How can anyone's ballista compare to imbue/tripple/burning arrows?

Throw in destructive/channeling/enlightenment/rain of arrows and your hero and ballista together can be doing 20k/turn easy.

Imbuing chain lightning or meteor shower is just ridiculous. Easily 2-3x the damage of Armageddon and it doesn't kill your units.
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 17 Aug 2008, 19:33

Metathron wrote:As for the knight, his skill wheel does look sparse. What is really ridiculous is that leadership is the emptiest of all of them when it should be the knight's forte with some neat perks.
It is a bit sparse, but it actually makes things a bit simpler. The Knight is the only class that can get both Divine Guidance and Empathy. Those are great abilities. And since there are not many choices, you're almost guaranteed to be offered them quickly. I only wish he doesn't have take Recruitment for those.

Now, consider the Wizard's Leadership abilities. Very good and interesting selections. But then, I agonize over whether I should go for Divine Guidance, Aura of Swiftness, or Empathy. What's the use of so many good perks when you can take only one of them?

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 17 Aug 2008, 19:43

John.Galt wrote:I have only one question. How can anyone's ballista compare to imbue/tripple/burning arrows?

Throw in destructive/channeling/enlightenment/rain of arrows and your hero and ballista together can be doing 20k/turn easy.

Imbuing chain lightning or meteor shower is just ridiculous. Easily 2-3x the damage of Armageddon and it doesn't kill your units.
I dunno, it's powerful but I wouldn't go as far as calling it too powerful. It's the hardest ballista combo to get so I think it deserves to better.
Seige is a rare selection for sylvan, so it could be awhile until you can do it (I didn't have it until late game), and once you have it, doesn't you're hero stops taking turns once you're using the imbued ballista? When I experimented with it, my hero stopped taking their turn once I was using the triple imbue. Plus sylvan has weak spellpower so 3 spells in a row, while still wicked, isn't going to be as wicked.

The way I see it, a generic expert dark magic hero with puppetmaster is still more dangerous.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 17 Aug 2008, 20:04

blizzardboy wrote:... Plus sylvan has weak spellpower...
Yeah, and that's why they have the Druids ;)

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 17 Aug 2008, 20:16

No, the hero doesn't stop taking turns with it. Imbue arrow/rain of arrows continues to work, so if you're good at planning favored enemies, it can be as many as 6 casts per round.

And like he said, druids take care of spellpower, 60 druids boost spellpower by 24, capped to knowledge, and knowledge is their highest stat, which, coincidentally, allows them to cast implosion 6 times and still have plenty of mana left over.

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 17 Aug 2008, 20:22

parcaleste wrote:Yeah, and that’s why they have Druids.
Oh yea... I guess I tested imbue ballista back before there was ToE...

Ouch.
John.Galt wrote:No, the hero doesn't stop taking turns with it. Imbue arrow/rain of arrows continues to work, so if you're good at planning favored enemies, it can be as many as 6 casts per round.

And like he said, druids take care of spellpower, 60 druids boost spellpower by 24, capped to knowledge, and knowledge is their highest stat, which, coincidentally, allows them to cast implosion 6 times and still have plenty of mana left over.
That's odd. Whenever I used imbue ballista (back in the day), my hero would stop taking his turns. Maybe that's changed in ToE?
Last edited by blizzardboy on 17 Aug 2008, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Aug 2008, 20:23

John.Galt wrote:I have only one question. How can anyone's ballista compare to imbue/tripple/burning arrows?

Easy, hero does not always get to imbue first. And sylvan flaming ballista is nothing compared to the one the orcs or demonlords have. A ballista usually survives only one turn anyway.
- Metathron

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 17 Aug 2008, 20:39

I hate the new skill-wheel, any race can get pretty much any skill nowadays, I prefer the 'old' one where every race has several unique skills instead of just 1 or 2
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”