Could someone explain some alt. upgrades?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ahoover
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Could someone explain some alt. upgrades?

Unread postby ahoover » 03 Jul 2008, 15:26

1. Master Hunter vs. Arcane Archer- Ok, I have always loved the Master Hunters and considered them the best lv. 3 creature out there, so naturally I find it hard to say goodbye to them in favor of the Arcane Archer. However, with No Range Penalty I find myself asking if the Archers are a slightly better unit. What do you all use?

2. Familiar vs. Vermin- Vermin steal mana twice for other creatures, while Familiars steal it only once for a hero. Vermin have better defense and seemingly a slightly better attack. So unless you are low on mana, is there ever any reason to not take the Vermin? They seem like better units.

3. Blood Fury vs. Blood Sister- The Sister seems better to put it simply. They are relatively the same but the Sister has more health and slightly better defense. Is there any reason for still using the Furies when we have the Sisters at our disposal now?

4. Grim Raider vs. Brisk Raider- With a better attack and initiative, is there any reason to not take the Brisk over the Grim? The Grim seems to have simply become obsolete.

5. Berserker vs. Battlerager- From what I can tell personally, the Berserker is clearly still the better upgrade over the new Battlerager. The No Retal Berkserker Rage is just too valuable to pass up, and otherwise they are relatively the same creature. It seems like they both die too fast to take advantage of the Battlerager's "Battle Rage" ability.

I know that I must be missing something here to think strictly the way I do, so I was wondering if someone could tell me when you want which upgrades here. These perplex me. Thanks, guys!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Could someone explain some alt. upgrades?

Unread postby Panda Tar » 03 Jul 2008, 17:21

ahoover wrote:1. Master Hunter vs. Arcane Archer- Ok, I have always loved the Master Hunters and considered them the best lv. 3 creature out there, so naturally I find it hard to say goodbye to them in favor of the Arcane Archer. However, with No Range Penalty I find myself asking if the Archers are a slightly better unit. What do you all use?
Actually, as I'm not used to send blade dancers in battle, I do 2 stacks of archers: 1 arcane and other master hunter, as long as I don't have all units available for hiring. After that, I usually dismiss sprites to have 2 stacks of archers. It works better for my kind of strategy.
2. Familiar vs. Vermin- Vermin steal mana twice for other creatures, while Familiars steal it only once for a hero. Vermin have better defense and seemingly a slightly better attack. So unless you are low on mana, is there ever any reason to not take the Vermin? They seem like better units.
Hum, Familiars, I like them against other casters. Vermins, I used them against might troops. It all depends on the scenario in a general view. I don't use them much either way, but gating them next to shooters to block their attack for a while. Nothing much more significant.
3. Blood Fury vs. Blood Sister- The Sister seems better to put it simply. They are relatively the same but the Sister has more health and slightly better defense. Is there any reason for still using the Furies when we have the Sisters at our disposal now?
Furies are not retaliated. Sisters are, aren't they? That's the main reason I don't like Sisters much. Furies are oftenly taken by main target, and having another reason (retaliation) to lose them is not really cool.
4. Grim Raider vs. Brisk Raider- With a better attack and initiative, is there any reason to not take the Brisk over the Grim? The Grim seems to have simply become obsolete.
That I agree. I'd say something similar to other unit upgrades, like goblin witchdoctor (I've never seen any good from them), bardguy, nightmare (with the hellmare, nightmare seems like a soft dream).
5. Berserker vs. Battlerager- From what I can tell personally, the Berserker is clearly still the better upgrade over the new Battlerager. The No Retal Berkserker Rage is just too valuable to pass up, and otherwise they are relatively the same creature. It seems like they both die too fast to take advantage of the Battlerager's "Battle Rage" ability.
I rarely use that unit in combat, in fact. Can't say much.

I agree in the fact that some alternate upgrades seem more like an upgrade of the other than a new alternative.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Jul 2008, 17:35

Arcane archers are better, end of story. A lot better.

Vermin steal half the amount a familiar would and can't gate and drain at the same time. No thanks.

Blood furies are better in earlygame as they depend on initiative to get by. Against a horde of squires a few successive morale triggers could kill you but not with 16 init.

Brisk raiders are amongst the worse upgrades ever, there is no reason to pick them. Grim raiders reduce enemy def by 20% per tile why would you give that up?

Actually battleragers are superior. They don't get 0 defense that makes them fall like flies and get extra protection/damage against large units. They can take it.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 03 Jul 2008, 18:02

Elvin wrote: Brisk raiders are amongst the worse upgrades ever, there is no reason to pick them. Grim raiders reduce enemy def by 20% per tile why would you give that up?
Odd. I had always better battles using brisk raiders than grim. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Jul 2008, 19:40

Their special is weak, the only improvement over the others is the +1 initiative.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

durin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby durin » 03 Jul 2008, 23:26

When attacking with large numbers of Battleragers their Bash ability quite often triggers which means they don' get retaliated and keep their defense :)

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 09 Jul 2008, 13:20

As I see it now: Alternative upgrades =/= Alternative choices, unless we're talking about noobs

Alternative upgrades = huge imbalance in most cases (see e.g: even the Horned Grunt/Leaper whatever)
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Jul 2008, 13:36

I agree with everything Elvin said, except that I find the Sisters a lot better at the final fight than the Furies. They gain too much HP for just 2 Initiative
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 09 Jul 2008, 19:15

[quote="Elvin"]
Vermin steal half the amount a familiar would and can't gate and drain at the same time. No thanks.
[/quote]
vermin can steal multiple times, even after gating whle familiar only steals 1 time, it can be quite usefull when your pit lords can cast 4 or 5 fireballs instead of 2 B-)
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”