Some Questions

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Some Questions

Unread postby Macros the Black » 23 May 2008, 00:35

Hi all :)
Got some questions here..

1. Shield of Crystal Ice grants 50% fire protection. If I got it right, that means your creature has a 50% chance to fully resist fire magic every time, right?
Fire Resistance perk from Light Magic give 50% fire resistance.
If you have both of these, does that mean that effectively, only 25% of fire magic will hurt you? That's pretty good in combination with Armageddon O.o

2. What about Fire Resistance perk with Boots of Magical Defense and Armor of the Forgotten Hero? That's 80% fire resistance....

3. If you add Shield of Crystal Ice to 2., that makes 90% effectively, right?

4. What if you use Staff of Sar-Issus and cast an area-of-affect fire magic spell that also damages your own troops/Armageddon? Does the staff also ignore your own resistances? It says "ignores enemy creature resistances", but is that true?

5. Is there a list of the abilities that Soldier's Luck perk affects?

6. When your last stack is killed and you have both of these abilities, what triggers first: Last Stand, or Guardian Angel? (just curious, really..)

Thanks! :)

sylph999
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Some Questions

Unread postby sylph999 » 23 May 2008, 03:03

Macros the Black wrote: 1. Shield of Crystal Ice grants 50% fire protection. If I got it right, that means your creature has a 50% chance to fully resist fire magic every time, right?
Actually what Shield of Crystal Ice really does is reducing the damage dealt by fire magics to 50% ,not adding resisting chance B-)

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 May 2008, 12:12

Fire Resistance decreases damage, the others give a chance for the spell to fail.

Soldier's Luck affects all abilities that trigger randomly except goblins and death strike.

6. When your last stack is killed I'm pretty sure it's last stand. Because technically the unit never dies.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 23 May 2008, 15:49

Elvin wrote:Fire Resistance decreases damage, the others give a chance for the spell to fail.
Oops, I was thinking it was the other way around ;|
I guess the word "protection" makes me think of someone actually preventing the spell from striking, and "resistance" makes me think of the creature not being damaged by the spell :/
Soldier's Luck affects all abilities that trigger randomly except goblins and death strike.
But the goblins traps don't trigger randomly, do they? They're cast by the goblins and then there's a chance that they work.. Or so I see it ;)
Anyway, I was just asking because I can never seem to think of an ability that fits the description.. I know there must be alot of those, but for some weird reason I just can't think of them when I get Soldier's Luck presented to me, don't pick it, then check my units and see it would've been very helpful :(
6. When your last stack is killed I'm pretty sure it's last stand. Because technically the unit never dies.
That's what I thought too, just curious though :D

Thanks!

Anyone know the answer to 4.?

Zepdog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zepdog » 25 May 2008, 17:39

Sylph999 is right. Marcos the Black, if you look at the second sentence of the 1st question then you will see that you kind of answered your own question. But you got the last part of question 1 wrong. Resistence items (perks, spells, etc,) will give a chance to ignore the spell all together. Protection items (perks, spells, etc.) give a percent of damage that will be taken out of the calculation. Think of it this way: If you are going to resist from hitting a person that just insulted you then you are NOT going to hit him at all. If you are being protected by someone and he is in front of you and someone takes a sword and stabs through the both of you then half the sword is in him and half of the sword is in you (just thinking of the sword surface for the analogy). So with your last part of the 1st question it will be like this: If you have 50% protection and 50% resistence then first you have a 50% chance of being hit by a spell. If you are hit by the spell (you DIDN'T resist) you will get 50% of the damage from that spell since you have 50% protection. Add the all of the resistence items up together and you get your total resistence %. Then add all of your protection items together and you will get your protection %. The resistence and protection DO NOT get added together. In battle the resistence will be used first to see if you avoid being hit and if it fails then your protection will take over and absorb the % total from your protection items (ie. 3 items at 10%, 20%, and 30% = 60% protection; with a spell that normally will do 100 damage you will only receive 40 damage). I hope this helps a little.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 25 May 2008, 22:49

Zepdog wrote:Sylph999 is right. Marcos the Black, if you look at the second sentence of the 1st question then you will see that you kind of answered your own question. But you got the last part of question 1 wrong. Resistence items (perks, spells, etc,) will give a chance to ignore the spell all together. Protection items (perks, spells, etc.) give a percent of damage that will be taken out of the calculation. Think of it this way: If you are going to resist from hitting a person that just insulted you then you are NOT going to hit him at all. If you are being protected by someone and he is in front of you and someone takes a sword and stabs through the both of you then half the sword is in him and half of the sword is in you (just thinking of the sword surface for the analogy). So with your last part of the 1st question it will be like this: If you have 50% protection and 50% resistence then first you have a 50% chance of being hit by a spell. If you are hit by the spell (you DIDN'T resist) you will get 50% of the damage from that spell since you have 50% protection. Add the all of the resistence items up together and you get your total resistence %. Then add all of your protection items together and you will get your protection %. The resistence and protection DO NOT get added together. In battle the resistence will be used first to see if you avoid being hit and if it fails then your protection will take over and absorb the % total from your protection items (ie. 3 items at 10%, 20%, and 30% = 60% protection; with a spell that normally will do 100 damage you will only receive 40 damage). I hope this helps a little.
Thanks. Although I mixed up "resistance" and "protection" I did know that they don't get added up.
My thought was just that if you have 80% fire resistance (from Fire Resistance perk + Boots of Magical Defense + Armor of the Forgotten Hero), and 50% fire protection (from Shield of Crystal Ice), you get:

1. an 80% chance that your creature will not get hurt by a fireball/meteor shower/armageddon.
2. if your creature gets hurt, 50% of the damage will be ignored

So if you have a creature that gets shot at with a fireball for a few thousand times, in the end only 90% of the damage those fireballs would have done had you not had any resistance/protection will have actually worked on it.
(80% is ignored, the remaining 20% is divided in half for damage dealt and damage "protected" = 90% .... uhm.. immunity, or as I said in 3. "that makes 90% effectively, right?"

Should've been more clear I guess, but since there's no word for it it was kinda hard to explain what I ment ^^

Zepdog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zepdog » 26 May 2008, 04:52

Your on the right track. Your 80%, 20% = 90% is correct. But the problem is the Fire Resistance perk. It should be called the fire protection perk, but, I guess since it gives you immunity to the armor damaging effects of the Master of Fire ability then that is why they called it Fire Resistance. That perk absorbs 50% of the damaging fire spells so add it to the Sheild of Crystal Ice instead. So in theory you don't even need the Boots or the Armor at all. The Perk and the Sheild should give you 100% protection (unless the game is glitching and it is only giving you 75% protection by calculating them separately and not together, I know I have had many of those).

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 May 2008, 19:03

Ahh, now I see. That's probably what made me mix up protection with resistance in the first place xD
But that would make it far too easy to get fire immunity imo. Fire Resistance perk + Shield of Crystal Ice + Armageddon would be way too good and easy to achieve :/

And since Elemental Gargoyles work like the Phoenix Feather Cape, and Staff of Sar-Issus only negates resistance and not protection, there's nothing the enemy player could do about it??? O.o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”