Most valuable upgrade

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Most valuable upgrade

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Mar 2008, 16:32

Of all the H5 upgrades, which is the best? And by this I don't mean what is the most valuable upgraded unit. What I mean is, which upgrade offers the most improvement over the respective standard unit? Opinions, please!
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 19 Mar 2008, 17:13

Most improved is pretty tough to qualify, but the biggest jumps by faction in my book are...

Colossus -> Storm Titan
Scout -> Assassin
Archer -> Crossbowman
Skeleton -> Skeletal Archer
Hellhound -> Firehound
Hunter -> Arcane Archer
Bear Rider -> Blackbear Rider
Slayer -> Executioner

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Mar 2008, 17:22

In most of the previous HoMM, it's always been troops that went from non-shooter to shooter. H5 seems to be no exception. The reason however I thought to post this is because I was playing with the Academy last night and it struck me how much better the Rakshasa upgrades (particularly the Rajas) are than the unupgraded Rakshasa Ranis.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 19 Mar 2008, 23:14

I think that one of the most important upgrades is blood maiden to blood fury. you just can't use this units until they are upgraded.
more important upgrades are:
gremlins to MG or saboture- The initiative boost is critical.
colosus to titan- becoming a shooter, obviously.
skeleton to archer- again.
hound to cerebrus, firehound- the no retal is crucial.
The rest of the units are all playable as unupgraded even if they gain significant boost.
The ones I posted above I never take with me before upgrading them

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Mar 2008, 02:03

Let's see...

Goblin to goblin trapper is pretty important.

Either succubus upgrade.

Bear upgrade for paw strike is excellent.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 20 Mar 2008, 09:30

Hell Hound --> Cerberus wins it for me. Not far behind
Succubi --> Seducers, or Imps --> Familiars...

In fact, I think most Inferno upgrades are vital, their creatures are pretty useless before being upgraded, while most other creatures are fine.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 20 Mar 2008, 10:52

Well for this question I think we should start thinking about what upgrade is not valuable? The rest surely will be.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Mar 2008, 13:30

okrane wrote:Well for this question I think we should start thinking about what upgrade is not valuable? The rest surely will be.
Some creatures I don't bother to upgrade.. or at least, I don't make it a priority.

For example:
Ghosts and Wraiths

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 21 Mar 2008, 10:12

I personally feel that value of an upgrade is primarily determined early game, when resources are scarce and an upgrade is a crucial investment in more efficient creeping. In that perspective, I think the following 4 upgrades are valuable:

1. blood maiden > blood fury. Pretty much all Dungeon needs until getting dragons. Enables player to spend all resources on town development.
2. pixie > sprite. Sylvan's edge in early creeping and all fights against slow walkers.
3. archer > crossbowman/marksman. All Haven needs until getting cavaliers or angels.
4. scout > stalker. Highly exploitable special vs AI, perfect in combination with a spellcasting hero. Backup for when blood fury cannot be used.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Mar 2008, 10:26

Upgrades... :disagree:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 21 Mar 2008, 19:46

What's wrong with upgrades?
Sure' some are useless or unnessecary but other then that, what is the problem?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”