Best level 3 spell

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my opinion, the best level 3 spell is

Confusion (9 mana)
39%
Suffering (5)
2%
Fireball (10)
7%
Firewall (16)
No votes
Circle of Winter (9)
10%
Deflect Missile (6)
2%
Righteous Might (6)
2%
Blade Barrier (12)
5%
Earthquake (7)
3%
Phantom Forces (18)
31%

Total votes: 59

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Best level 3 spell

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Mar 2008, 16:09

Vote away.

Personally, I see only three contenders for this title at this level: Confusion, Blade Barrier and Phantom Forces.

I'm leaning towards Blade Barrier, but I'll chew this over a bit to be sure.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 10 Mar 2008, 14:00

Confusion is definately my favorite spell. Expert + Mass Effect is truely devestating. This should really be a level 4 spell, IMO.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 10 Mar 2008, 16:53

I just love the 'mark-of-the-wizard+elemental-gargolye+circle-of-winter' combo :-D
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Mar 2008, 17:06

AngelEyes wrote:Confusion is definately my favorite spell. Expert + Mass Effect is truely devestating. This should really be a level 4 spell, IMO.
How about it switches places with Curse of the Netherworld?

On second thought, Phantom Forces should also be lifted higher, perhaps switch with Summon Elementals.

Word of Light should go way down, perhaps to level 3.

As for my pick for the best spell, I ended up voting for Blade Barrier. Awesome for abusing (large) neutrals and especially shooters.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 10 Mar 2008, 20:06

Blade barrier for me. A spell that is useful in almost every situation.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 10 Mar 2008, 20:30

AngelEyes wrote:Confusion is definately my favorite spell. Expert + Mass Effect is truely devestating. This should really be a level 4 spell, IMO.
That's the problem. By itself, the spell is on par with, say, Blade Barrier. It's the mass effect that tips the scale. True, that's what perks are for, but with only one perk (Master of Mind), you get, in my opinion, the two most powerful mass effects in the game. I'd say a little tweaking here is called for. Perhaps make Mass Confusion work like Mass Decay, meaning, you have to select an area of effect.

Still, I love Blade Barrier for its ability to let me, in some cases, win battles that would be impossible otherwise.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 Mar 2008, 05:22

danhvo wrote:... Perhaps make Mass Confusion work like Mass Decay, meaning, you have to select an area of effect...
Why I think it was like that in the original HV? :| Or else, like it is in TotE, it's really disturbing, esp. in the final battle against Biarra :shh:

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 11 Mar 2008, 14:47

Yes, Master of Mind does indeed grant you two of the best mass-spells in the game. Maybe it should be broken up.

I've actually only gotten Blade Barrier once or twice, so I haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet. How is it different than Firewall?

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 Mar 2008, 15:28

Something like that Crystal spell but on three tiles :)

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 11 Mar 2008, 16:15

Curse of the Netherworld and Word of Light are actually pretty good since getting a boost in TotE. I think they would be far too powerful as a level 3 spell.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 11 Mar 2008, 18:04

AngelEyes wrote:I've actually only gotten Blade Barrier once or twice, so I haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet. How is it different than Firewall?
A fire wall is passable. The blade barrier consists of 3 seperate tiles with some hit points that each have to be destroyed independently before the tile can be passed and do moderate damage when attacked.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 12 Mar 2008, 12:32

Voted confusion.
If I play a mage and get this spell I will, more oten then not, try to get dark magic just for mess confusion.
besides, dark and summoning is my favourite combo (with mage and necros).
Phantom force is very nice but often too pricy (18 mana for a necromancer at early game is alot).
from destructive I like best circle of winter since the fire spells are really more endgame- high spellpower while circle of winter is useful for creeping.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Mar 2008, 15:36

I enjoy mass confusion a great deal...but it is easily dispelled and can be resisted.

Still it has a two pronged effect that makes it useful in many situations...otherwise I would choose deflect missile.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Mar 2008, 16:01

For me the top ones are confusion(mass), fireball(mainly because of ignite and phoenix feather cape), blade barrier - just brilliant and naturally phantom forces.

I too will go with confusion which is not really overpowered. What is good about it is half casting time and that it neutralizes the opponents only in one manner - ok two, the shooting and no retaliation. If you cast it they will still be effective and will be able to attack you just as fine. It will not guarantee you victory but it's good to have.

About the rest:
Blade barrier is nice but sometimes the opponent can attack you before you cast it. At least it also helps in earlygame.
Phantom forces is not particularly effective in the beginning, slow to act, small stacks. Later it can be awesome.
Fireball is good all around but it's mostly a warlock/wizard toy. The rest can be used by everyone.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Mar 2008, 18:35

Fireball of course. Fits in any situation and does enough damage, even more if you have specialized in fiery skills and abilities. Nice spell to toast warthogs with too!

Slepytchee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Slepytchee » 25 Apr 2008, 14:36

I enjoy the fireball for it can do vast area damage with good spellpower

nmiz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nmiz » 01 May 2008, 13:39

Personally i like deflect missile(mass of course) the best. Of course it depends on the situation. In TotE you mostly fight demons who have only one shooter in big numbers so defleect missile minimizes their damage up to70% with the right skills. It's very useful earlygame for taking mines guarded by shooters. Confusion is also a great spell. Blade barrier has only one good use(blocking 4tile stacks) but in many situations thats just what you need. I also like phantom forces baut it's useful only with the Sar-Issus set or a big mana pool as it costs way too much. Also you need a big army for it to take effect.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 02 May 2008, 20:37

nmiz wrote:...defleect missile minimizes their damage up to70% with the right skills.
But confusion would minimize demon shooters' (succubi's) damage by up to 100% with the right skills. :D

I think Deflect Missile should work against castle towers too. That would make me more likely to use the spell.

nmiz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nmiz » 03 May 2008, 09:44

But confusion would minimize demon shooters' (succubi's) damage by up to 100% with the right skills.
How do you get that? I have arcane omniscience, exp. dark magic and master of mind but they still keep shooting at me?!!!

I'm currently playing the campaign and there's a mission with Freyda who has a free divine vengeance with every light magic spell so that's why deflect missile is more useful to me. Plus i can't get no shooting with confusion.
"We rule the shadows, and someday the shadows will rule everything."

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 May 2008, 11:13

What do you mean you can't get no shooting?

With expert Dark Magic, Confusion prevents any stack (barring undead, elemental or mind spell-immune ones) from shooting or retaliating PERIOD. Note that casting is not included here, meaning druids et al will still be able to throw those lightning bolts and whatnot at you.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”