Ashan - Best of all possible worlds?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you think that Ashan is the right world to continue with in the future of Heroes ?

Yes, Ashan is the best of all possible worlds!
14%
It is quiet good, but needs an evolution!
33%
No, I want the old Might & Magic world back!
33%
No, it's boring and should be buried!
5%
I don't care.
14%

Total votes: 21

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Ashan - Best of all possible worlds?

Unread postby Tobius » 12 Feb 2008, 21:23

Hey Folks!

The Heroes V saga has ended. Peace rules in Ashan (apart from the storyline of Dark Messiah). Now I want to know what you think about this (more or less) new universe. Do you miss Antagarich? Or do you think Nival has created the best Heroes world ever? Where do you see the future of HoMM? Lies it in Ashan or should we go back to Erathia, Palaedra, etc.?

Well, I'm curious about it!

After you vote, feel free to post a comment to explain why you feel your particular way about Ashan - or bring up other things, you think should have been different!
Last edited by Tobius on 12 Feb 2008, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 12 Feb 2008, 21:27

Seems to me you hadn't played Messiah...

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 12 Feb 2008, 21:40

Why do you think so? Did I commit a crime in cold blood if I hadn't played it?

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 12 Feb 2008, 21:50

I personally feel that the HoMM series is much stronger when the game isn't getting deeply involved with the M&M universe. For instance, I prefer the campaigns from the expansion for 2 to the campaigns from the basic game, because the expansion campaigns were much more fantastic, which fits with my own perception of HoMM as being set in a big nebulous fairy tale fantasy world where the only history is from the campaign or scenario you're playing.
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 12 Feb 2008, 21:56

Tobius wrote:Why do you think so? Did I commit a crime in cold blood if I hadn't played it?
Peace rules in Ashan.
After DM, demons rule in Ashan.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 12 Feb 2008, 22:05

Akul wrote:
Tobius wrote:Why do you think so? Did I commit a crime in cold blood if I hadn't played it?
Peace rules in Ashan.
After DM, demons rule in Ashan.
Well, actually it will be decided when that guy (forgot it's name, Ceres or smt. :S ) make his final choice of the two paths he can choose. Hm, actually I am really curious of what it will be, he seemed to me like a nice guy, even though that bitch did fed the Spiders really good in Arantir's tomb, tower or whatever it was :D

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 12 Feb 2008, 22:12

His name was Sareth, I think. Well, I've edited the first part of post. I did focus on Heroes V not DM, but it's good that you pointed out this ambiguity.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 13 Feb 2008, 02:05

Personally I'd rather go back to the old world, I want to play Gem, Sandro and Crag Hack again

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 13 Feb 2008, 16:51

I fully agree with you Matt. I really don't like the universe created by Nival. It's absolutely boring and ordinary fantasy stuff. I also didn't like the Heroes IV storyline, because it was way. The mix of Science fiction and Fantasy made the series unique - that's what I loved it for.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 13 Feb 2008, 17:54

Tobius wrote:I fully agree with you Matt. I really don't like the universe created by Nival. It's absolutely boring and ordinary fantasy stuff. I also didn't like the Heroes IV storyline, because it was way. The mix of Science fiction and Fantasy made the series unique - that's what I loved it for.
Only H1 had SF/Fantasy elements and that only thanks to the manual.
For HoMM in general, it was a classic Fantasy storyline.

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 13 Feb 2008, 18:11

There should have been SF, too, if the Forge was implemented in H3 AB. But sad to say this step was prevented and that was the first moment in the history of HoMM and MM, where we had problems with the storyline continuity. You know, HoMM was only a part of the MM universe and there is a mixture of SF and Fantasy thus it was in the HoMM series, too.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 13 Feb 2008, 19:08

Tobius wrote:There should have been SF, too, if the Forge was implemented in H3 AB. But sad to say this step was prevented and that was the first moment in the history of HoMM and MM, where we had problems with the storyline continuity. You know, HoMM was only a part of the MM universe and there is a mixture of SF and Fantasy thus it was in the HoMM series, too.
HoMM community, unfortunately, showed in those days that they do not want any SF elements in HoMM thus HoMM officialy became a fantasy game, no matter if it happened in the same universe as M&M. If Forge was excepted, Ubisoft might have decided to keep the old universe. But since SF elements are hated by HoMM fans, and HoMM is now the leading M&M game, SF elements are not wanted in Ubisoft's eyes, and old universe with it.
And they don't need to worry about fans liking it. Newer generations shall start HoMM in Ashan and Ashan shall mean more to most of theme than the Old Universe shall. I alredy know few people who like Ashan more then the Old Universe.

As for me, I don't care as long as the story is good. And Ashan, for its beginnings, does have a good story and TotE shows that their storyteller's grew in experience.

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 13 Feb 2008, 19:18

Akul wrote: I alredy know few people who like Ashan more then the Old Universe.
Can you give reasons why they like Ashan more than the old universe? Is it because they don't really know the series' history? I wonder how you can find such a oridinary Fantasy story interesting at all and even more interesting than the old one.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 13 Feb 2008, 19:32

In the end, the background mythology of the game world doesn't really matter to the quality of a game (unless you're LOTR). It's the characters and their in-game adventures which truly matter. I don't care about where dragons came from, as long as they're there.

So, what can I say about the characters in the game?

HoMM5: Most are boring. Probably because their faces never move. I do like Raelag, cuz he's pretty badass. Even an unmoving face can't overshadow how badass he is.

HoF: Wow, BOORING-! But the female knight chick is kinda cool.

ToE: Awesome characters. I love Zehir now, and Arantir is very cool, made even more cool because I'm not sure if he's a good guy or a bad guy. The orc heroes remind me of Conan and Valeria, and that's cool in a stupid and nolstalgic kinda way.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 13 Feb 2008, 21:04

Though I vastly prefer Axeoth and its universe (agree with Tobius), I am happy with things as they are... henceforth may Nival never lay hands upon the world of Axeoth lest they drag it down to Ashan's gloomy level with the mockery they call storytelling.

Btw Morglin Ironfist travelling from VARN to Enroth through a portal does not count as sci-fi in my book.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 13 Feb 2008, 23:38

Ohma wrote:I personally feel that the HoMM series is much stronger when the game isn't getting deeply involved with the M&M universe. For instance, I prefer the campaigns from the expansion for 2 to the campaigns from the basic game, because the expansion campaigns were much more fantastic, which fits with my own perception of HoMM as being set in a big nebulous fairy tale fantasy world where the only history is from the campaign or scenario you're playing.
When i think of it, you are right in a way. I mostly enjoyed those times where only the setting of certain campaign mattered. Thus, you could have million of universes and un-conected stories with same game engine. Price of loyalty was nice indeed.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”