Which town has the best graphics?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Haven
7%
Academy
34%
Sylvan
28%
Fortress
3%
Dungeon
14%
Necropolis
3%
Stronghold
7%
Inferno
3%

Total votes: 29

difool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby difool » 11 Feb 2008, 15:40

I have heterofore been a gamer who has focused on strategy, but I must admit than when I finally broke down and got this game that the graphics did impress me. Yeah it's the gameplay which will either keep me coming back or eventually bore me, but the devs certainly did a good, creative job.

My vote will go to the Sylvan-all the sparkly lights, that huge tree, the fog and the atmosphere (music is a tad cheesy but that can be modded, probably from the Lothlorien theme from the Lord of the Rings movies). My 2nd choice would probably be Inferno, with all the fires and just the huge size of the thing. I am least impressed with Haven, which is to be expected being all human and thus comparatively boring.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Feb 2008, 16:20

I agree that the towns are for the most part beautifully rendered. However, what I really really dislike is that the creature dwellings (actually, most buildings) are unrecognizable for the most part, i.e. you can't really tell which building is which, and even if you could they are really bland and unimaginative for the most part. This considerably decreases the aesthetic value of the towns for me and I wonder why they did it this way, since all of the previous HoMM games had distinct buildings, or at least creature dwellings. I especially liked the animated dwellings (many in HoMM IV) and those where you could actually see the dwellers prowling about outside (HoMM I). Hopefully, this unfavourable trend will not carry over to HoMM VI.

Now to the towns themselves.

Inferno: too much fire = hard on the eyes. I'm not saying it should be any other way necessarily, it just so happens that I do not like it very much. It's also very dull, building-wise (but since this goes for all of the towns to a greater or lesser extent I won't repeat myself). 4/10

Stronghold: Could've been done so much better. Just a random collection of tents. 4,5/10

Necropolis: The surroundings with the moon and all make it much more atmospheric than Inferno and I like the spiky look of the buildings. 5,5/10

Dungeon: Not a large fan of dank, stuffy places, and the prevalence of purple quickly gets old. It is atmospheric, though. 5,5/10

Fortress: Not bad. 6,5/10

Haven: Looks beautiful except for the brick houses, 7/10

Sylvan: Few complaints here, except for...oh, right. 7,5/10 :devious:

Academy
: I like the city in the sky concept. Makes you wish it was a real place you could visit. 8/10
Last edited by Metathron on 11 Feb 2008, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 11 Feb 2008, 16:21

I like the Sylvan music. It's like... Ewoks. If it was straight Enya-esque LOTR, that'd be just copying. These guys are wood elves not high elves.

I also like how the Inferno building is basically 1 huge tower. If it was a sprawling complex, it'd be too... lively, like something that is actually lived in in a human fashion. Being a single tower evokes the image of a prison, a mountain, and also a "level grind" structure in RPGs.

The best thing about Haven is the music. The designer also kept it from being boring by using oversized architecture.

Edit: I like the creature dwellings and I feel I can tell just by looking, what creature it's for. Often the dwelling has some huge statue in front of it which tells you exactly what creature it's for. Other times it's designed in a way that you can tell easily (nest = wyvern, cyclops = cave, skeletons = graves, zombies = mausoleum, vampires = mansion, druids = stone ring, cerberus = kennel, etc etc etc).

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 11 Feb 2008, 17:23

I dunno, but I like to have a kind of realism in the town, I hate the inferno town because I don't get it, where do those guy's live and why do the dwellings float in front of the tower (it would be much nice if there were build inside the tower imo)
it would be nicer if you would actually see people walking around in the towns

haven - nice, I like the town, all those little houses etc.
but o well it is enough for a 7,5/10

academy - it's just great the floating air style the pattern on the rings the buildings all of it, though there are 3 things I don't really like about it
1. I hate to see 1 dwelling float around on his own (because you don't have city hall/capitol yet)
2. I can't stand the 'island' with only 1 house on it, how does the guy that lives in there go to the market :|
3. I hate the sky colloseum, it doesn't really fit in, it's just a random building hovering near the city (would be nicer if it was placed inside the rock where the town hall building was standing on (like the pit lords building) Image
still I give academy an 8/10

sylvan - I hate the christmas lights and the music is a little to tropic for my idea of elves, but anyway this is about the grapics, I would like to see some kind of bridge between the house-islands and the main tree (wich doesn't really feel good with elves aswell) elves should live in pine forests like in homm 3 imo
6,5/10

Fortress - great, I love the undergroud-lava-worshipping-dwarves though I don't really like some dwellings (bear rider dwelling in the shape of a bear head for example) and it would be a lot greater if the bridge (wich they use to get up) would move up and down
7,5/10

Dungeon - mmm It would be great if you were able to move the camara more so you could actually get a good look at most buildings, though I like I posted above I don't like dwellings in the shape of the creature that comes out of it
it would be greater if there were a few giant stalagtites and with bridges between them etc.
the music is kinda boring, just because it's supposed to be sneaky doesn't mean it should be boring, it should be like the dungeon theme in homm3
6/10

necropolis - just awful the music is terrible and anoyying, and the place itself doesn't make sence, how are they supposed to get anywhere when they standing in very big pillars the whole *necro town floating miles above the ground* concept sux imo
and those spikes, I mean wtf? what are they good for? they only make the allready ugly town worse
3,5/10

strongehold -
just some random placed tents
yes but that's exactly what I expect from orcs living it chaoticly placed tents plus the dwellings look nice
though it should have more campfires and it's a little to empty at some places imo, also the town theme is quite disappointing, like dungeon, it fits the town but that doesn't make it a good theme when it's boring
7/10

inferno - don't really like, like I said above those floating in the air dwellings are frigging ugly, I mean how are they ever to get outta that building? walking over the chains?
I like the *central pillar with fire comming out everywhere* idea but it din't came out very well
4/10
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 11 Feb 2008, 22:20

I like Haven and Sylvan a lot. Academy's color theme seems way too bland to me, otherwise the town is allright in my book. Stronghold is worst to me followed by Inferno.

I'm not sure which I like more but I give the notch to Sylvan this time.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 11 Feb 2008, 23:56

I like Sylvan the most. It's by far the easiest on the eyes. As Metathron said, it's terribly annoying that you can't tell dwellings apart! :disagree: I'd like to see them made more different, but I guess the developers didn't care/mind/have enough time ;|

Haven town is magnificant and civilised in a most delightful way and it's by far the easiest one to tell the buildings apart - IMO anyway :) But I hate playing the haven faction so I don't get to see the town a lot.

After Sylvan I'd put Dungeon. I very much enjoy watching the lady in the middle growing hair and getting dressed :D And the purple theme works great :-D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Feb 2008, 01:51

Sylvan.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Feb 2008, 11:56

Where's the "None" option?!

And where are the pictures?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 12 Feb 2008, 14:35

ThunderTitan wrote: And where are the pictures?!
http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ntro.shtml
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Feb 2008, 14:46

1 down, 7 more to go...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 12 Feb 2008, 15:01

I like Sylvan the most. It's by far the easiest on the eyes. As Metathron said, it's terribly annoying that you can't tell dwellings apart! I'd like to see them made more different, but I guess the developers didn't care/mind/have enough time
You can't make everyone happy. I for one have no problems recognising dwellings in any town and in fact like the way they merge with einvorment.
Obviously, the townmakers were in same group like me ;|
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 12 Feb 2008, 15:32

Lucky you :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Feb 2008, 15:36

Right from the start the rotation thing turned me off from all the towns. It's a pain to try to find the individual dwellings so I always use the buy screen.

I'd like the towns better if they were a flat screen like the old games.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 12 Feb 2008, 15:57

There are ppl who actually attempt to click on the individual dwellings??? @_@;

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 12 Feb 2008, 17:28

Yeah, I was wondering about that too? 8|
- Dragon Age Origins

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 12 Feb 2008, 18:03

Perhaps he is just sarcastic and wants to prove that dwellings ain't needed to be recognisable since everyone uses Buying screem?

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 12 Feb 2008, 18:13

Had to go with Sylvan on this one.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Feb 2008, 18:23

I wasn't being sarcastic. If anyone remembers in heroes 1 for example that was the only way to buy creatures and it would be very bad in heroes 5 if there was no other way to buy creatures.

My point is that 'graphics' have come before functionality in this case. I'm not that interested in rotating the cities around just to look at them especially when objects sometimes get in the way in the foreground.

I would have to do it if I had no alternative method of buying creatures.

Not to mention the automatic rotation thing which the menu option doesn't actually turn off.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 12 Feb 2008, 18:29

This ain't H1 and there are alternative ways to buy creatures and that method is always usable. There is no way to make it useless.
In fact, H5 has all needed functions in its interface which makes adding buildings to the town only for estatic reasons. There was no reason to include building-clicking in first place.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 12 Feb 2008, 20:17

If stopping the city rotation makes the city screen load faster, I'd support having an option in the menus that turns off cinematic city rotation.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”