Wishing to cast Divine Vengeance on Nival

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Wishing to cast Divine Vengeance on Nival

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Feb 2008, 21:11

So, my Barbarian hero was up against an Academy hero who had a superior army, but the thing is, I was carefully planning the development of my hero from the beginning, especially with regard to magic resistance.

I had the two magic resistance perks from the Defense and Luck skills. Then I also had the Barbarian Luck perk, and 8 points of luck (!!!), which ought to amount to 40% of magic resistance. To top all of this off, I also had the Armour of the Forgotten Hero artifact which was supposed to add another 20% of magic proof. If my calculations are correct, my army should have been practically immune to magic at 90%, and my army was beating the bejesus outta those academy freaks, and rightfully so for I have invested most of my experience into attack, defense and the like.

But no, the Academy hero cast Divine Vengeance and made short work of my seemingly invincible stack of warmongers by casting an uber powerful Divine Vengeance. Suffice it to say I was more than a little p...eeved. This should not be so, Divine Vengeance should not just be able to ignore magic resistance and wreak havoc like that.

There is no other name for these kinds of "errors" other than idiotic, and they're really spoiling my enjoyment of the game.

There, had to get that out of my system. Rant over. :scared: :gun:
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 04 Feb 2008, 22:21

+1

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Re: Wishing to cast Divine Vengeance on Nival

Unread postby danhvo » 04 Feb 2008, 22:36

Metathron wrote:If my calculations are correct, my army should have been practically immune to magic at 90%, and my army was beating the bejesus outta those academy freaks, and rightfully so for I have invested most of my experience into attack, defense and the like.
I have three thoughts. First, you seem to confuse Magic Resistance with Magic Protection/Proof. These work independently, and have different effects.

Second, does anybody know how various Magic Protections stack? Do they add or cascade? In this example, if you have Luck of the Barbarian (40%), Protection (15%), and the Armor (20%), is that equivalent to 75%, or is that 1 - (.6 * .85 * .8) = 59.2%?

Third, could Divine Vengeance be an exception, where the calculation of damage based on the creatures killed ignores magic protection? Unlikely, but I thought I should ask.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 04 Feb 2008, 22:46

Luck of the Barbarian gives magic proof.

Magic resistance and those artifacts give MR.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Feb 2008, 23:02

danhvo wrote:I have three thoughts. First, you seem to confuse Magic Resistance with Magic Protection/Proof. These work independently, and have different effects.
Perhaps I am, but it seems rather too complicated to me, then.
Second, does anybody know how various Magic Protections stack? Do they add or cascade? In this example, if you have Luck of the Barbarian (40%), Protection (15%), and the Armor (20%), is that equivalent to 75%, or is that 1 - (.6 * .85 * .8) = 59.2%?
I would like to know that as well, but you forgot to add Luck's Magic Protection, which my hero also possessed. I also thought that Magic Resistance (Luck) and Protection (Defense) stack, but judging from their descriptions it seems that the latter may merely decrease damage from DD spells, whereas the former gives a 15% chance to resist an enemy (dark magic/non-DD) spell.
Third, could Divine Vengeance be an exception, where the calculation of damage based on the creatures killed ignores magic protection? Unlikely, but I thought I should ask.
Whether DV is the way it is on purpose or accidentally, it should not be like that pure and simple, because it's insanely overpowered that way. With all the magic protection hooha my hero had, the spell should not have killed as many of my troops as it did, not by a long shot.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 04 Feb 2008, 23:52

I always assumed, rightly or wrongly, that they stacked. So you would have had 35% Magic Resistance (armour + Magic Resistance skill), and hence a 35% chance to resist any spell completely.

Protection + Luck of the Barbarian, by my assumptions, would then reduce damage dealt by enemy spells by 55%.

What nobody has mentioned yet is that Expert Blood Rage should decrease spell damage by a further 50% (I assumed this was multiplicative, so spell damage would be reduced overall by 77.5%). I don't play with Stronghold enough to know, but does Blood Rage still decrease damage if you have no rage points left? And does anyone know for sure when these things add and when they cascade?

With Mark of the Wizard, Divine Vengeance is incredible. But if it ignores Magic Protection/Blood Rage etc, that is a serious flaw in the game.

Also, does anyone know whether Divine Vengeance benefit from the aura of Elemental Gargoyles the way Word of Light does?

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Feb 2008, 00:16

no rage, no damage reduction from rage.

I think it is multiplicative, the fan manual should have details...

umm, yes, it was very well proven that DV is overpowered on the ubi forums and at TOH forums, right when Tribes came out.

Knowing Ubival, it will remain unchanged in patch 3.1 :devil:

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 05 Feb 2008, 00:56

okrane wrote:Luck of the Barbarian gives magic proof.

Magic resistance and those artifacts give MR.
You are correct about the armor. I thought there was an armor that offers magic proof, but maybe only the Armor of Dwarven Kings set gives that bonus.

Lepastur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Lepastur » 09 Feb 2008, 16:00

Divine Vengeance is just a overpowered spell. I view it like a "campaign" spell, nothing more. I usually disable it on the multiplayer maps.
Visita http://www.HeroesofMightandMagic.es (Portal) y http://www.TorreDeMarfil.es (Foro) / El sitio web en español más completo dedicado a la saga Heroes of Might and Magic, y a los otros juegos de la misma marca.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 09 Feb 2008, 16:25

As soon as I read the game guide I knew that DV damage formula is either incorrect or ridiculously overpowered. Though trough my few days of play I haven't managed to cast it with my own hero yet.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 09 Feb 2008, 16:32

divine vengance is pretty much the main reason why I choose seraphs
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”