Factions' Magic Schools

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
gzork
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Factions' Magic Schools

Unread postby gzork » 29 Jan 2008, 21:38

I'm sure this is answered somewhere on CH but I haven't been able to find it.

I was wondering where to find a complete list of how different factions get and use different magic. That is to say what schools of magic are fully available to each faction, like Light and Dark to Haven, or Destructive and... something else to Dungeon.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 Jan 2008, 21:48

Off the top of my head:

Haven: Light and Dark
Inferno: Dark and Destructive
Necropolis: Dark and Summoning
Sylvan: Light and Destructive
Dungeon: Destructive and Summoning
Academy: Light and Summoning
Fortress: Light and Destructive

Of course, not all of the commonly available magic types are appropriate for each faction, e.g. even though destructive magic will be a regular in an inferno mage guild, you probably won't want to pick it due to the Demon Lord's low spell power (and low probability of getting it at level up). The same could be claimed for Sylvan, and so on.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Tensho
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Tensho » 29 Jan 2008, 21:57

Just to add:
Inferno: Dark and Destructive and i might say light magic
Sylvan: Light and Destructive and maybe summoning?Wasp swamp with and dirael are just too good to miss...(especially with ballista :) )
Dungeon: Destructive and Summoning.More like dark than summoning...(you often get curse of netherworld in lvl 5 mage guild)
Academy: Light and Summoning.Or any other magic.
Dont angry the banana!

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 29 Jan 2008, 22:19

Tensho wrote:Dungeon: Destructive and Summoning.More like dark than summoning...(you often get curse of netherworld in lvl 5 mage guild)
Are you certain? I've never got a Dark Magic spell past level 3 in a Dungeon guild. Dark Magic is good for a Warlock, but I'm certain the Mage Guild in the town only gives Destructive and Summoning spells at Level 4 and 5.
The Library makes it harder to say which schools are best for Academy. The extra Level 4 spell isn't always (in fact rarely is) the same school as the extra Level 5 one. There is always one Summoning and one Light at each level though.

gzork
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gzork » 29 Jan 2008, 22:42

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Meteor Shower in the Academy, unless a special rule applies to building the Library. I always was curious as to what Academy gets and it seems strange that they wouldn't specialize in shooting fireballs... oh well.

But isn't Destructive Magic pretty good with Sylvan? I mean, given the chance, Imbue Arrow + Rain of Arrows = everything goes 'splodey.

By the by, you missed Stronghold! Poor form! :mad:

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 29 Jan 2008, 22:49

aaelgr wrote:
Tensho wrote:Dungeon: Destructive and Summoning.More like dark than summoning...(you often get curse of netherworld in lvl 5 mage guild)
Are you certain?
I doubt it.

Metathron listed the spell schools by faction. Those are the schools that your Lvl4 and Lvl5 spells will be from unless someone's running a mod or a special map that changes them (or is playing Academy and has a library).

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 29 Jan 2008, 22:58

Tensho wrote:Just to add:
I wonder what you're smoking, but I'd suggest you to stop it :|

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 Jan 2008, 23:39

Re: Academy's Library - I wonder what the probability is for the extra spells. Is it 25% chance for each school's spells; or maybe just a 50-50 only for Dark and Destructive, the two schools that are not at home in the Academy by default. Or perhaps something wholly different (and random)?
gzork wrote:But isn't Destructive Magic pretty good with Sylvan? I mean, given the chance, Imbue Arrow + Rain of Arrows = everything goes 'splodey.
You're right, Destructive is not as undesirable with Sylvan as it is with Inferno, not only due to Imbue Arrow and Ballista, but also (or perhaps especially) because of the High Druids who are able to really crank up your hero's spell power to whole new heights, provided you've got a high enough knowledge rating.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 30 Jan 2008, 00:29

Metathron wrote:Re: Academy's Library - I wonder what the probability is for the extra spells. Is it 25% chance for each school's spells; or maybe just a 50-50 only for Dark and Destructive, the two schools that are not at home in the Academy by default. Or perhaps something wholly different (and random)?
I could be mistaken, but I thought that it was randomized among the spells not already there. So if we take Level 5 as our example, we've already got 1 Light and 1 Summoning in the guild. The remaining spell options available are 3 Dark, 3 Destruction, 1 Light, and 1 Summoning.

So that would give a 12.5% chance of Light, 12.5% chance of Summoning, 37.5% chance of Dark, and 37.5% chance of Destruction.

But I can't find documentation to back that up, so I could definitely be mistaken.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 30 Jan 2008, 01:33

I've played as Academy lots, and this is my experience of what the library seems to do.

Each mage guild level will contain one light magic spell and one summoning magic spell, always. Mage guild levels 1-3 will each contain one extra spell, these are always dark or destructive spells.

The library then adds one destructive/dark spell that you don't already have to each level. So with a library, levels 4 and 5 will have one summoning magic spell, one light magic spell, and either one dark or one destructive spell. Sometimes they will both be dark spells, sometimes both destructive, sometimes one of each.

Levels 1-3 will always gain one destructive or one dark spell from the library. So with a library, mage guild level one will always contain one light magic spell and one summoning magic spell, along with either 2 dark/2 destructive/one dark and one destructive spell. So you will never have more than one summoning/light magic spell at any level, but could have 2 dark spells of the same level, or two destructive spells at the same level.

I don't know about exact probabilities of individual spells, if anyone knows for sure it would be helpful. I always assumed it was school-based, so each spell would have a 50% chance of being a dark spell and a 50% chance of being a destructive spell.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 30 Jan 2008, 09:01

Academy is Summoning+Light in the main guild and the Library will automatically add either a Destruction or a Dark spell.

Tensho
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Tensho » 30 Jan 2008, 09:24

Nelgirith wrote:
Tensho wrote:Just to add:
I wonder what you're smoking, but I'd suggest you to stop it :|
:no: :tongue: (and i dont smoke)

Well you say that light magic is not for deamons?Knights use dark magic...so why not deamons use light? :)
And besides...if you go for dark magic you would choice master of pain(mass decay and vulnerability) and go for the ultimate?Which you might get at lvl 25.Or you shoud go for master of mind skill?Mass slow is just too good.Not to mention mass confusion.
So then why not take master of wrath?You get mass haste and mass righteous might.The mass spells are just good as mass slow and mass confusion.The inferno becomes speedy killer with +12 attack and +40% initiative.
And dont forget the bonus for pit lords from refined mana.The pit lord becomes inferno second shooter.
Dont angry the banana!

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 30 Jan 2008, 10:47

You may find this informative. It's on the nature and selection of magic types.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 30 Jan 2008, 12:16

Tensho wrote: Well you say that light magic is not for deamons?Knights use dark magic...so why not deamons use light? :)
And besides...if you go for dark magic you would choice master of pain(mass decay and vulnerability) and go for the ultimate?Which you might get at lvl 25.Or you shoud go for master of mind skill?Mass slow is just too good.Not to mention mass confusion.
So then why not take master of wrath?You get mass haste and mass righteous might.The mass spells are just good as mass slow and mass confusion.The inferno becomes speedy killer with +12 attack and +40% initiative.
And dont forget the bonus for pit lords from refined mana.The pit lord becomes inferno second shooter.
The issue is not whether a faction would benefit from a certain magic school, but if they actually get it in their mage guild. You may of course pick Light Magic with your Demon Lord (though you are unlikely to be offered it in the first place), but it'll turn out to be quite a waste at least until you capture another castle, and maybe even then.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 Jan 2008, 14:05

It's not an impossible situation. Most people like to play large maps with many castles...for example it's viable to develop a foreign mage guild on blood lakes.

And skill huts can help with rarer skills.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 30 Jan 2008, 20:41

tb5841 wrote:Levels 1-3 will always gain one destructive or one dark spell from the library. So with a library, mage guild level one will always contain one light magic spell and one summoning magic spell, along with either 2 dark/2 destructive/one dark and one destructive spell. So you will never have more than one summoning/light magic spell at any level, but could have 2 dark spells of the same level, or two destructive spells at the same level.
I stand corrected, then. Thank you for the information.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”