22" Widescreen Monitor Resolution Question...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

22" Widescreen Monitor Resolution Question...

Unread postby Sir Alock » 17 Jan 2008, 03:18

Hi All: I just picked up an LG L226WTQ-BF LCD Monitor @ BB. I had about $170.00+ in gift certificates & BB rewards. Anyway...Decent enough monitor to replace my older 19" Sony 4:3 LCD.

I noticed when I play most games (old & new) @ it's native resolution (1650x1050) it looks perfect! In other words, I pick out 1650x1050 within a game everthing is fine. But with Heroes (ToE) it gives me the option for native res, only that the text & GUI is stretched out!

Example:

Rise of Nations @ 1650x1060=Perfect!
War Front: Turning Point @ 1650x1050=Perfect!
Older Game: Age of Wonders II: 1650x1050=Perfect!

No text issues, no streching of the GUI.

Heroes V.....The text/GUI is all stretched out! The graphics look fine (i.e. units of the battlefield etc.) but everthing else if off!

Is it HoMMV?...I have all 3 versions. Only have checked ToE.

Any inisght from some 22" Widescreen players?

Thanks All!

Alex

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 17 Jan 2008, 03:43

this is sort of off topic, but, Can i please have your 19"? :D
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 17 Jan 2008, 06:01

HOMMV interface does not properly support widescreen resolutions. Actually the only resolution where the interface is displayed without stretching is 1024x768.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 17 Jan 2008, 12:17

Eternor wrote:HOMMV interface does not properly support widescreen resolutions. Actually the only resolution where the interface is displayed without stretching is 1024x768.
Wulfstan8182: LOL! Sorry my HoMM friend, I need to put that monitor downstairs in the basement. I took my older computer & installed Windows 98 (Yes 98!) because of my love of DOS based games! Wish I could have helped out!

Eternor: Thanks for the follow-up! I feel better now knowing it's HoMM & not my new LG monitor. I can live with it. Geez....You would think Nival would have looked ahead & thought that WS monitors are becoming more mainstream. Oh well...

Thanks!

Alex

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 17 Jan 2008, 12:26

I see... now I know why everything looks a bit stretched on my monitor. I thought at first it does supports widescreen because on the opening the Nival logo animation looks fine but when it comes to the game itself, everything got stretched. I also assumed that I'm missing some updates that could fix that.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 17 Jan 2008, 14:04

Sir Alock wrote:I took my older computer & installed Windows 98 (Yes 98!) because of my love of DOS based games! Wish I could have helped out!
lol, you don't need Win98 to play DOS games. All you need is DOSBox. It even runs fine on the dreaded Vista! ;)
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 17 Jan 2008, 21:00

Indeed, DOSBox is incredibly useful once you learn how to use it. I've even been able to play my old copy of HoMM1 off the HD with no problems at all.
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 24 Jan 2008, 15:38

TheUndeadKing wrote:
Sir Alock wrote:I took my older computer & installed Windows 98 (Yes 98!) because of my love of DOS based games! Wish I could have helped out!
lol, you don't need Win98 to play DOS games. All you need is DOSBox. It even runs fine on the dreaded Vista! ;)
Well...Yes & no. I have DOSBOX installed on WINXP now & it does "OK" But...Nothing beats the original OS a game was intended to play on. I love a game called "Cavewars" by now defunct Avalon Hill. It plays way too choppy in DOSBOX, now that I have installed WIN98 on my downstairs computer, runs like a champ is DOS mode!

BTW....has anymore played Cavewars before? It's a pretty cool older turned based game. It may not be for everyone, but it appeals to me.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/cav ... bs;summary

Return to “Heroes V-VI”