Any word on a Map Editor?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Any word on a Map Editor?

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Feb 2006, 19:33

Has anyone heard anything about a map editor? It would have been good to include that in the beta or a developer's preview or something. I would also like to know that the maps not included in the beta are getting a good going over.

And there's not going to be a map generator is there?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Feb 2006, 19:46

As far as I've heard, there will be a map editor when the game is released, but if there's going to be a RMG, it's going to wait untill any expansion.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Feb 2006, 19:53

Does anyone actually use the random map generator? From my experience the maps made by it are just terrible. Why do that when there are usually hundreds of better user-made maps available?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Feb 2006, 19:54

The maps that come with the beta are ok but not particularly interesting. They were put together for the tests.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

jeff

Re: Any word on a Map Editor?

Unread postby jeff » 02 Feb 2006, 23:56

charleswatkins wrote: Has anyone heard anything about a map editor?
There is another thread on this topic farther down, it appears that a map editor will be included with the game, but my concern is there may be no campaign editor included. Hopefully they will realize that additional capability is not difficult and it would expand interest in the overall game. :)
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 03 Feb 2006, 07:41

Corribus wrote:Does anyone actually use the random map generator? From my experience the maps made by it are just terrible. Why do that when there are usually hundreds of better user-made maps available?
My thoughts exactly.
For some reason, a fair number of players do want a RMG though.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Bad Wolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bad Wolf » 03 Feb 2006, 07:44

I'd prefer a more powerfull Map Editor over a Random Map Generator any day...
For the same reasons mentioned above, user made maps are WAY better on every basis then any RGM I ever saw... :)

Oh... and p.s. I know it's a bit off topic, but did anyone of you know that Heroes V actually supports a command called Attach_Mod...
Which means that you CAN create a mod and make it into a single file AND make Heroes V work with it, without disturbing the main game data :)
At least, the Beta version supports such action, I want to test it at one point to see if it really does what I think it does :)
The world is full of insanity, that has no cure. Labour to keep yourself stable, and your mind pure.
- Mid-Night Paladin

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Feb 2006, 14:06

Corribus wrote: Does anyone actually use the random map generator?
I have used the Heroes IV RMG as a start for maps in my campaign. While they need a lot of editing and changing, they have saved me some time in some of the minor terrain details. It has also allowed me to picturize some of the maps, but other than that I have little interest in it. :proud:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Feb 2006, 05:35

But does a random map generator HAVE TO suck? I can't see why.

Civ IV has a perfectly good map generator and modders have developed several more. For Heroes V, it would be a lot of work, but with open source, then we might be able to build something really good.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Feb 2006, 14:19

Map Editor included it is, RMG may also be included but Campaign Editors future hard to see it is ;|

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 04 Feb 2006, 18:54

Orfinn wrote:Map Editor included it is, RMG may also be included but Campaign Editors future hard to see it is ;|
I am afraid you may be right, unfortunately that is probably a buy / no buy issue for me at least until a fan makes one which is a possibility. It certainly can not be as tough as some of the mods that have been done in the past. ;|

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 21 Feb 2006, 16:09

wimfrits wrote:
Corribus wrote:Does anyone actually use the random map generator? From my experience the maps made by it are just terrible. Why do that when there are usually hundreds of better user-made maps available?
My thoughts exactly.
For some reason, a fair number of players do want a RMG though.
But it can serve as a basic lay-out for a map.
Grah!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 21 Feb 2006, 16:43

Thelonious wrote: But it can serve as a basic lay-out for a map.
Well, yes. But that kinda goes against the idea of the random map generator. I mean:

- if you want to create a map; you'd better have something substantial in mind or the map will be turn out to be pretty bad. Chances your design and the RMG's output will match are pretty much zero.
- if you want to play a good map; you can use the RMG and customize it to create proper balance. But... why not play a custom made map instead?
- if you want to play a random map, you cannot change it or it would cease to be random.

So imo, in all possible cases, there's no point in altering a RMG made map.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Feb 2006, 16:50

Thelonious wrote:
But it can serve as a basic lay-out for a map.
True, but I'd say that the "basic lay-out" for a map makes up about 0.5% (if that much) of the total mapmaking time, so you're really not saving yourself that much. Besides, I submit that anyone willing to commit to the many hours of time it takes to make a decent map is going to want to design their own layout also.

But I could be wrong.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

borco
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby borco » 21 Feb 2006, 18:45

RM are terrible but with few corections are playable, that is faster then making map from begining...

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 21 Feb 2006, 19:49

I dont know about u guys, but once i finished playing every single map heroes 3 complete had to offer i started playing random-made ones, and i think their great. why go through all the trouble of finding a user-made map that you like, downloading it, and moving it to the game's maps file when you can just as easily click about three different buttons and then "save" to get a map (in my opininon) thats just as good? once again, i dont know about u guys, but i hope V will have a RMG.

difool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby difool » 23 Feb 2006, 04:18

Because random maps tend to be very unbalanced and (in the case of H3
at least) rather Monty-Haulish? Now some players know how to get
various random templates (codes which will always give you the same
random map), but given the maps available here, at Bytebandit's, Maphaven,
and elsewhere, I can get something which was made with some thought
rather quickly (tho even then I tend to mod the heck out of them).

Return to “Heroes V-VI”