Favourite faction in H5 - 2007

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Favourite faction in H5 - 2007

Haven
15%
Inferno
5%
Necropolis
18%
Dungeon
13%
Sylvan
12%
Academy
16%
Fortress
7%
Stronghold
13%

Total votes: 92

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 25 Dec 2007, 15:52

For what it's worth, I usually select Inferno and Deleb when given a choice. My second would be Stronghold then Dungeon. That said, my favorite is Sylvan but I don't play it that often because even with reduced requirements I never can get the Ultimate and find it dificult to win without it.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2007, 04:26

Inferno baby, inferno .... gating ROCKS!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Coisox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Coisox » 28 Dec 2007, 20:29

My experience:

Most Powerful = Necro > Fortress > Stronghold> Academy > Sylvan> Haven> Inferno > Dungeon

Most Enjoyable = Fortress (because Necro is too much!)

I can't imagine, how come some of you said that Demon/Warlock is power? I know Assassin is equal to lvl-2 creature but it's not worth for early game (very low population and expensive). Blood Fury? Huhh... very difficult to make it into a "horde stack", always died in the first two months. Did you guys use Blood Fury in early game or save it for later when the stack become larger? Unless Blood Fury is equipped with Regenerates ability or maybe increase it's speed to 10 so it wont die so easily :-D

As for Demon, without Instant Gating, my army die easily in early game (AI wont attack the gated). Even I won a battle, I still loose a lot. For me, Gating ability only suits for Duel Mode or for the last battle. Better go for Resurrect spell.

Merx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Merx » 29 Dec 2007, 07:19

Well I find Haven to be the most strategy rich faction. There are many ways you can combine their creatures in an army and many ways those creatures can help one another in combat. But I agree, it's not the most powerful..

My vote goes for Haven...

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 29 Dec 2007, 07:50

Err... hard to choose... But I'm feeling evil now so, Dungeon!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Dec 2007, 17:41

Stronghold, if only because it so needed to be in the game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 02 Jan 2008, 20:30

Voted: Stronghold

Very close second: Dungeon, largely due to invisibility

Least favourite by far: Fortress :vomit:
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 02 Jan 2008, 20:52

I generally prefer the side sporting the most diverse assortment of interesting monsters in its army. So since the Dungeon is now home to the emo elves, I've come to appreciate the Acadamy the most.
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 03 Jan 2008, 22:26

Got to go with the Barbarians (guess they are a Barbie fans :D ) - BloodRage is just RIDICULOUSLY awesome :S

Dark_PC Gamer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dark_PC Gamer » 03 Jan 2008, 23:44

Haven, i really like knights and the way thier castles look.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 08 Jan 2008, 02:13

P0i50Z wrote:
The Mad Dragon wrote:Inferno is definitely not underpowered. Sucubbi are awesome shooters with their chain shots.
Yeah that may be, but you're takin' them in particular.Compare them with a really powerfull faction, such as Dungeon and the result will be dissappointing.Seriously now, don't you agree they're the weakest by a bit too much in TotE?Just take everything into consideration...
I've seen your other posts, and you appear thoroughly convinced that the Inferno faction is underpowered. Obviously, a lot of people disagree. Taking everything into consideration, a neutral inferno army may be slightly weaker than their counterparts, but that's to make up for their racial ability Gating when paired with the right hero. Similar case with Stronghold and their Rage ability. No other race has such huge boosting abilities that can be activated only by a hero. Well, maybe you can include Fortress/rune magic and Academy/artifact, but those abilities cost resources.

The point is, I think the devs have done a pretty good job balancing the factions, and if some seem stronger than others, the difference isn't that much. You just have to know how to play the factions to maximize their potential. I, too, used to have my bias, but after being forced to play my non-favorite factions (in campaigns), and reading about how people play, I realize that each faction has its strengths and weaknesses. There's no challenge in mod'ing to compensate for weaknesses as perceived by you; the challenge is to be able to play any faction and win.

That's not to say I don't have my own favorite faction (it's Fortress), but I suspect that has to do with how I play. I particularly love it when someone likes a faction that I don't like, because that tells me I need to learn how to play that faction better.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 08 Jan 2008, 03:26

danhvo wrote:There's no challenge in mod'ing to compensate for weaknesses as perceived by you; the challenge is to be able to play any faction and win.
Excelent point. I think I'll quote this for several times in the future.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

SventheCrusader
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SventheCrusader » 08 Jan 2008, 07:32

Stronghold. Everything about it - spells, troops, and of course, their end scenario. It's incredible. :D
Sven Svensson, the Crusader:

One man who really needs to stay committed to this "sticking around" thing.

Dillips
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dillips » 10 Jan 2008, 18:52

Well my fav race is the necropolis due to the interesting units in particular the skeleton warriors who can shield guard others against ranged attacks and their stun ability, plus they look good.
Check out my reviews and news!

http://uk.gamespot.com/users/Chief-Irons

asuka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby asuka » 26 Jan 2008, 05:53

Necropolis.

I also think Necro is too strong in H5 Tote due to the Shrine of the Netherwold (the building that allows you to convert other faction's units to the equivalent tier Necro creatures). When a Necro player conquers an enemy town, his army growth essentially doubles!! Then add their racial necromancy skill raising skeleton archers, vampires & liches and necro ends up with a very much superior army in numbers.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 26 Jan 2008, 09:48

Numbers are the element that they relish on. Without numbers, they ain't so powerful.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

asuka_langley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby asuka_langley » 28 Jan 2008, 04:24

Akul wrote:Numbers are the element that they relish on. Without numbers, they ain't so powerful.
Very much true. Except for vampires & liches, I think all their units are inferior to most other factions.

One week necro production would most probably lose against one week dungeon creature production. But with two-week production or maybe even three-week creature production would surely overwhelm one week production of any other town. Now, most maps would have more than two towns. And when necro is able to take another town (maybe a neutral's or enemy's town), they become too powerful to defeat. This is what i think.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 28 Jan 2008, 16:03

And don't forget the necromancy skill and Raise Death that Necromancers and Master Liches can cast (Master Liches are even more dangerous if you have ability that reduces cost of their spells) and you get a big army whos numbers can onyl grow.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Jan 2008, 17:37

Whoa. I just finished the Orc campaign in Tribes and I have to admit - I never experienced such a total domination with any faction, before finishing this campaign. In the final scenario Gotai was just smiting everyone out of the way since the very beginning, a real tank! He had a pack of cyclops, also ballista with triple shots plus fire arrows (with luck ~1400 damage per hit!), first aid tent, logistics with snatch - really awesome. I just loved when the threat level often was saying "Challenging", while in fact Gotai was winning with quick combat without losses. Since Stronghold also is an extremely interesting faction to play with (I just love the goblin throws), it's my favorite. :)

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 28 Jan 2008, 18:33

Funny how the discussion "favorite faction" always turns into "which is the strongest (or most imbalanced) faction" in no time.

The first affirmative doesnt excludes the second, matter a fact i would say the opposite. Any faction controlled with passion and skill is deadly. Take your favorite faction despite universal opinion and prove others wrong by turning their troops into glowing piles of coal.

Its a matter of research, dedication, concentration and learning by trying.

By the way - my avatar says quite everything you need to now about my favorite ToTE faction. I loved every detail about Stronghold, a most precious acquisition. But I do not stray from my first love that easy. Glowing skulls... Im Necropolis all the way :devil: .

W.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”