Ice bolt vs. Lightning bolt

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Ice bolt vs. Lightning bolt

Unread postby Naki » 22 Dec 2007, 21:30

When I played Heroes V original campaigns, Lightning bolt was weaker than Ice Bolt. Also, Lightning bolt took 5 mana, and Ice bolt took 6 mana.
In Hammers of Fate, it seems Lightning bolt is stronger, yet takes 5 mana as before. Can anyone confirm this?
Or maybe patch 1.6 has the same type of Lighting bolt like Hammer of Fate, and older patches have the stronger Ice bolt instead?

EDIT: Hmm, or maybe simply at lower spell levels, Ice Bolt is stronger, and on higher ones Lightning bolt becomes stronger?

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Re: Ice bolt vs. Lightning bolt

Unread postby Mlai » 22 Dec 2007, 22:29

Naki wrote:EDIT: Hmm, or maybe simply at lower spell levels, Ice Bolt is stronger, and on higher ones Lightning bolt becomes stronger?
Exactly.
At low spell power level, ice bolt is stronger.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 23 Dec 2007, 13:27

Well, it is strange then why it has mana cost 6 and Lightning bolt has mana cost 5, and not the other way round...

yuritch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yuritch » 23 Dec 2007, 15:39

Probably because Ice Bolt can be improved via Cold Death ability to kill an additional creature (and often kill ballistas in 1 hit, which is VERY important), and Lightning spells have no such feature?

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 23 Dec 2007, 17:32

Lightning Bolt damage:
No mastery, 11 + 11*power
Basic, 14 + 14*power
Advanced, 17 + 17*power
Expert, 20 + 20*power

Ice Bolt:
No mastery, 60 + 12*power
Basic, 72 + 12*power
Advanced, 84 + 12*power
Expert, 96 + 12*power

Leded
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Leded » 23 Dec 2007, 17:40

i personally have always enjoyed the Master of Ice + Cold Death's affect on Ice Bolt and Circle of Winter... that and the Evercold Icicle you can be quite an annoyance on the battlefield :D

i never payed much mind to Lightning Bolt

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 28 Dec 2007, 03:55

i'd say that ice bolt is stronger. it just odes more damage for my hero no matter what! i don't know maybe my game is screwed up but ice bolt is double the power of lightning bolt for me. :proud:
Leded wrote:i personally have always enjoyed the Master of Ice + Cold Death's affect on Ice Bolt and Circle of Winter... that and the Evercold Icicle you can be quite an annoyance on the battlefield :D

i never payed much mind to Lightning Bolt
100% true and the same for me B-)
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Dec 2007, 15:32

I think the problem is that by the time lightning does become stronger you have better spells such as implosion or meteor shower to cast.

In earlier versions the stunning effect was a good reason to use lightning over cold but not anymore.

One situation now where it could be useful is if you find the trident early on.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 28 Dec 2007, 19:21

PhoenixReborn wrote:I think the problem is that by the time lightning does become stronger you have better spells such as implosion or meteor shower to cast.

In earlier versions the stunning effect was a good reason to use lightning over cold but not anymore.

One situation now where it could be useful is if you find the trident early on.
I agree with your analysis. The way the formulas work you'll need decent spell power && expert skill before Lightning bolt causes more damage than Ice Bolt. By that time you often have better things to do than just hitting people with Lightning.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 28 Dec 2007, 19:24

:up: :yes: :up:
yeah, by the time lightning becomes strong you either have armaggedon and a large stack of Magma Dragons or you got the Master of Ice and Cold Death B-)
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”