Keep the same engine. Just my opinion, but I rather have the same thing, with more content. Now that Heroes 5 is patched and exp'ed, general opinion seems to favor it as a whole. Why waste a year of labor on a new engine?
Agree... I am, unlike many other players, not bothered at all by rotating the camera from time to time...its kind of nice, actually - Homm is a whole new world, I like not only to play it, but also just watch it and enjoy the landscapes (which are great in H5, imo, and dont need an upgrade).
The Only thing is - can the old engine handle various adjustments and many new objects? If indeed so, then excellent.
Ice team would be a nice new addition as well. With yetis and boars and ice giants.
Thats a really good idea. Maybe not an extremely original one, but I havent heard it before actually. This could be a great comeback for the boars, while the Yetis and the Ice Giants can fit really well into the HOMM universe imo. That reminds me a lot of Icewind Dale - maybe some ice salamanders, yuan-ti and some winter-lovin'-club-holdin' female clerics could join the fold as well...
As for some new Ideas of mine:
- I strongly hope that we will be able to see creatures roaming at, and near, their dwellings - like in H1 (or promotional wallpaper for the academy in H5) . While it didnt work out so well in H1, with the modern technology it can be done. That will surely make the castles look much more lively and less static.
- The castles look good in H5, but eventually you stop looking at them an use the menues only. In order to make it a bit more interactive, I suggest that whenever you click on one of the buttons (marketplace, hiring creatures, etc.), The camera will quickly
fly to that building/dwelling in the castle.
- I hope to see different terrains on the battlefield, which will effect on creatures movement/statistics - like mud, shallow water streams, etc.
- I'd like to see the a battlefield which is not as flat as a wooden board, but a one that has small barrows and pits (which may also slightly effect on stats of creatures).
- While it is implemented in H5 to some extent, I would like to see even more objects from the adventure map, which are placed near the area where the fight takes place, to be seen at the background
of the battlefield - shrines,nearby castles/dwellings etc.. Maybe if a battle takes place very close to a portal - the whole battlefield will be surrounded by swirling columns and glowing lights.
- It would be great to have different weather from time to time... A rainy day may bring a totally new aspect in terms of playing atmosphere, and greatly add to it. (That can also be implemented at the battlefield).
-As for the ares which werent explored yet - I think something better than just total blackness could be used... like blue skies (again, looked good at the promotional pics) or if thats still hard to implement then maybe just darkness filled with stars, like in H2.
- The Sea : Im not the first one to say it - but one of the only few advantages H4 had was the interesting sea travelling, filled with creatures that roamed exclusively at sea. Why not adding pirates to the game? Not only in the H4 aspect, but ones which will be able to travel short distances and make life a bit tougher for the player? (Im against independently travelling neutrals, the pirates would be an exception).
I addition, the sea texture is, like the battlefield's texture, too flat. I want to see it sway and move, like a real huge mass of water even when its calm (like In LOTR:BFME II).
While the spell system in H5 is excellent (especially after some of the patches came out), I'd like to see more adventure-map spells:
Seems weird that the insanely strong magic-wielding heroes can cause so much havoc on the battlefield, but can do nothing outside of it, besides the typical old summon boat/summon creatures/teleport to town. Fot a start, the "haunt mine" spell from H2 and the spell that slows down enemy hero movement from H4 could be brought back.
And why not make an adventure-map spell that causes a wave barrier/tsunami (doesnt deal any damage, just prevents from passing through a few tiles) that will hold for only one day, but will give the player some advantage over an enemy which tries to hunt him down at sea?
imo every creature, especially low-lvl creatures, should have more HP per the damage it deals... would make battles longer, shooters less dominant, and will cause less situations in which a stack kills an equally large other stack - which is only one or two tiers lower than the attacking one - in just one hit (shouldnt be that way imo). That will also make low-lvl tier creatures more valuable.
Maybe its just nostalgia, but imo the music from H2 was far better then at any other Heroes title. Each terrain and every castle had its own mood.
OK, I think that enough for now!