Inferno creature choices

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Inferno creature choices

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Dec 2007, 09:43

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 12 Dec 2007, 10:55

After the Dungeon one I was wondering whether or not this would be done for all of them. Don't get me wrong, threads like this are useful for those of us who aren't that good.
Anyway, on to Inferno:
Familiar/Vermin: At the beginning when Knowledge is low I tend to go for Familiars. It's later on when I have Pit Fiend/Lords that I switch to Vermin. Being the sole spellcaster they get quite a boost.
Horned Grunt: Overseers are stronger, but thanks to Leap and the higher Initiative Grunts can actually get into a fight (whilst Overseers don't often get to hit anything later on)
Firehound: Same special abilities as the Cerberus with a little more Defense? No-brainer in my opinion (Does Fire breath hit your own? It hasn't happened to me before, but I know it can with dragons.).
Succubus Mistress: Unless I'm only fighting other Inferno, Chain Shot is more useful. Seduce may gain you an extra unit, but you lose your only shooter...
Nightmare: One of the few Inferno alternates I don't think much of is the Hell Stallion, mainly because Searing Aura doesn't seem to do a lot of damage. Therefore it's Nightmare by default (though Frightful Aura has come in useful before, and should again).
Pit Lord: With Vermin to give them more mana I can usually throw several Fireballs at the enemy. Vorpal Blade isn't as good as Axe of Slaughter (does it do more depending on the number of Pit Spawn or the number targeted?) but it is primarily a caster.
Arch Devil/Demon: I don't often bother to upgrade Devils, so I can't really give a preference here. Arch Devils are faster, and their special ability can come in useful if things start to go awry (not something you want to fall back on though). Arch Demons can take a bit more beating, and Teleport Other can get units such as Firebreathers behind castle walls.
NB: Teleport Other does make a few choices better. Suddenly you can get the more durable Demon Overseer into the fight, or get Pit Spawns in quickly...

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 12 Dec 2007, 12:57

Teleport Other is the ability to teleport any unit, friendly or hostile, as close to the Arch Demon as possible. Range = his present movement range.

Overseers don't need Leap, because it has Gating. Grunts practically die with 1 hit after a leap.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 12 Dec 2007, 13:33

L1: Familiars, always. Stealing mana can make such a difference against lower-knowledge heroes (siphon mana doesn't steal nearly as much).

L2: Overseers. Useful as defensive units to guard Succubi, can gate early on, and explosion works brilliantly with Teleport Assault. I need to experiment with Grunts a little to be sure, as I've not really tried them yet.

L3: Firehounds - they are phenomenal.

L4: Succubus Seducer. Don't see how anyone can choose otherwise, they make creeping SO easy. I make sure I get Succubi by the end of week 2 at the latest, Seducers at the start of week 3, then the first battle with an enemy hero becomes easy. You don't lose your only shooter if you gate first, or if you seduce an enemy shooter/spellcaster. Succubus Seducers are without doubt the best level 4 unit in the game.

L5: I use Nightmares - they're not a durable unit and are usually the first on the battlefield to die against a powerful enemy hero. So the extra initiative point is extremely useful.

L6: Hard choice, but I'd go for Pit Spawn. Pit Lords do far more damage in combat than they do with their spells, but don't have the speed to take advantage of this, while Pit Spawn have 2 extra speed. Vorpal Sword and Blade of Slaughter are both brilliant, and if you choose Pit Spawn + Arch Devils, you get to use both of them.

L7: Arch Devils usually, I find Summon Pit Lords more useful than Teleport Other. Though if you had Tactics, Aura of Swiftness and some +Speed artifacts, Arch Demons would become a much better choice.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 12 Dec 2007, 15:03

Level 1 : The only use for Quasit is when fighting several casters monsters and when having casters in your own army. Useless against normal monsters or if you have none ... I prefer Familiars.

Level 2 : This is a no-brainer. Grunts are better if you are actually using any level 2 in your army.

Level 3 : Firehounds can cause a lot of havoc because of their wide attack.

Level 4 : Against undead, I go for Mistresses, otherwise I tend to favor Seducers if I can have them in a decent number.

Level 5 : Toughest choice imo. Both are very strong, but I tend to prefer Nightmare because of their aura. Less morale for enemies is always good to use.

Level 6 : Hard choice too, if I'm attacking a castle, I prefer Lords, otherwise I love the raw power of Spawns.

Level 7 : Another no-brainer for me. If I actually upgrade the devils, I go for ArchDemons, just for the +45 HP.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 12 Dec 2007, 18:54

vermin - their great! they make my pit lords cast fireball 3 or 4 times ;)
Horned Overseer - their explosion is great when used in combination of teleport assault, otherwise I prefer throwing them in the sacrifical pit
Firehound - flame breath is just to good, and they have better defence
Succubus Seducer - even though I really love the mistress's chain shot (wich I use in the early game to defeat neutrals) the seducer pulled me trough the agreal's trial map, they keep an opponent creature busy and kill a lot others while doing it (I killed 23 nightmares just because I seduced devils)
nightmare - fear aura > searing aura
I like it's stats better anyways
Pit Lords - casting is what their good at an that's what they do, especially with the vermin giving them more and more mana
vorpal sword > blade of slaughter anyways
Arch Demon - I like it's stats more, and I looove to teleport those extremely-well-defended-marksman to demise, summon pit lords isn't that good anyways
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Dec 2007, 19:25

Nelgirith wrote:Level 1 : The only use for Quasit is when fighting several casters monsters and when having casters in your own army.
Can they drain from creatures? I thought they only drained from heroes.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 12 Dec 2007, 20:09

Tier1 - Familiar 90%. I'll occasionally use the Vermin early on against neutrals since they have +1 Speed, and I could see a use for Vermin in a Mass Divine Strength army, but the Familiar is my preferred choice.

Tier2 - Horned Grunt 99%. The Overseers work with Teleport Assault, but that's about it. The rest of the time, the Grunts are the way to go in my book.

Tier3 - Firehound 70%. At first, I thought these guys just plain annihilated the Cerberus in terms of quality, but they've been gradually slipping for me. The Cerberus has an average damage output that's 20% better than the Firehound, and enemies won't always line up properly for the amazing fire cone of death.

Tier4 - Succubus Seducer 75%. Against undead, the Mistress is clearly better. The rest of the time, I generally prefer the Seducer. The 9 Initiative is pretty horrific, though, for the army's only shooter.

Tier5 - Hell Stallion 55%. This one's a toss-up for me. Frightful Aura is better than Searing Aura, but better damage output on a high-Initiative creature is important, too.

Tier6 - Pit Lord 75%. I generally prefer the caster for damage at a distance, but if I can get a couple ways to increase Speed, then the Pit Spawn become amazing.

Tier7 - Arch Devil 55%. This is the other toss-up for me. I'd usually rather have +1 Speed and Initiative than +12 HP, but it depends on a number of factors.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 12 Dec 2007, 20:30

Yeah they drain from hero to creatures, was kinda inverted in my mind.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Dec 2007, 21:00

I can't quite fathom the fascination with firehounds, perhaps I just don't know how to utilize their special properly? The way I understand it, fire breath and three headed attack are mutually exclusive, you will almost never be able to use both at once, and if enemies are positioned one behind the other, you can use the three headed attack, so that's why I prefer the cerberi due to their greater damage. Couldn't care less about the +1 defense, because if these get hit they die in droves anyway.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 12 Dec 2007, 21:56

Metathron: As far as I can tell, the Fire Breath applies to all three heads. I made the mistake of turtling to protect my Crossbowmen and Zealots and the Firehounds were able to hit them and the units in front of them. I'm not sure if Fire Breath hurts your own units, but I imagine it would (seeing as it does with dragons).
Haloswift: On Agrael's Trial you have to choose Seducers, as Chain Shot has no effect on Demonic units.

Everyone seems to be saying that Seducers are better, but I can't see why. Seduce is useful for messing up your opponent, and I acknowledge that with Gating you can avoid losing your sole shooter, but surely the point of Gating Succubi is to double your ranged attack instead of reducing it?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Dec 2007, 22:33

aaelgr wrote:Metathron: As far as I can tell, the Fire Breath applies to all three heads. I made the mistake of turtling to protect my Crossbowmen and Zealots and the Firehounds were able to hit them and the units in front of them. I'm not sure if Fire Breath hurts your own units, but I imagine it would (seeing as it does with dragons).
How often does even one head get the chance to use fire breath, let alone all three? And even if one head manages to achieve a fire attack, the cerberus can attack both of those units just as fine but with a bigger punch.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 12 Dec 2007, 23:25

Firehounds can, in theory, hit 6 units at once. Enemy shooters are often boxed in so that they're hard to get to, firehounds hit the whole enemy front line and the shooters behind in one go. With no retaliation...

Seduce is phenomenal. It lets you do so many things - you can seduce enemy spellcasters and cast spells, seduce treants to entangle enemies, seduce assassins to poison them, seduce archangels to resurrect units, etc. They completely ruin any strategy your opponent was planning on. Shooting is overrated, Inferno don't really need it...

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 13 Dec 2007, 05:54

tb5841 wrote:Seduce is phenomenal. It lets you do so many things - you can seduce enemy spellcasters and cast spells, seduce treants to entangle enemies, seduce assassins to poison them, seduce archangels to resurrect units, etc. They completely ruin any strategy your opponent was planning on. Shooting is overrated, Inferno don't really need it...
Or ... seduce Griffins to make them dive on themselves :rofl:

bethrezen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bethrezen » 16 Dec 2007, 11:02

If you split your succubus seducer you can seduce more stacks in a battle?

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 16 Dec 2007, 11:41

yes, but you have a bigger chance of not being able to seduce the stronger units, besides you can gate anyways
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”