Pointers for a newbie.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Pointers for a newbie.

Unread postby BigBadPig » 29 Nov 2007, 15:32

Well, my problem may sound weird or even ridiculous for someone, but I'm really struggling here. You see, the situation is like this: on Normal difficulty the game is a little bit boring for my taste, but on Hard I get thrashed every time. I'm playing Stronghold, my long waited for favorite.
Could anyone give me some at least general pointers on handling the game on Hard difficulty, while playing orcs?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Nov 2007, 16:08

Have you tried other factions on heroic or is it just the barbarians you have trouble with? Usually the solution is fast creeping, as long as you can keep up with the enemy leveling you should be fine.

Generally warmachines with triple ballista and attack->battle frenzy with excruciating stike or flaming arrows help a lot early. Also level up rage skill with memory of our blood and powerful blow fast.

For creeping you just need to buy a ballista, goblin trappers and centaurs. trappers make traps, centaurs shoot and the hero uses powerful blow on them so he can attack twice per round.
Oh and check tavern to see who your enemy is so you can know what shatter magic you want. The game can take many paths, these are just early pointers. Kragh(pounder, has battle frenzy), Haggash(centaur specialty, has attack) and Telsek(warrior specialty, has warmachines) are good heroes to start with.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 29 Nov 2007, 16:17

Well, truth is, I can't seem to succeed with any of the castles, it's just that I like orcs THAT much:). Thank you for the tips on creeping anyway, I'm surely gonna try that.

Alabaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alabaster » 29 Nov 2007, 20:42

Reload anytime you make a mistake or take significant battle in a fight. Play with autocalculate on too. If the auto calculate goes bad you can always hit the replay button and try it yourself.

The computer takes no damage from mobs, so he'll always have max troops.

The game is only about getting a city ahead and catching up to the computer hero that rockets up to level 15 in just a few weeks.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Nov 2007, 20:49

Back in 2.1 I had done some AI testing and it did lose troops though not much. It's that it always upgrades its units asap so it can creep easier.
- Metathron

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 29 Nov 2007, 21:02

They got me again!.. Seems I'm missing something big time here. A pity.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 29 Nov 2007, 23:11

You need to take your mines fairly early, as the computer will - but lose very few troops in the process, otherwise you'll be outnumbered. Haggash is the best choice of hero in my opinion - starts with Call of Blood and lots of centaurs, which makes killing neutrals early much easier.

Choosing the best skills for your hero beforehand helps lots, plan what skills you aim to have before you start.

Which buildings are you building early on?

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 30 Nov 2007, 09:11

I'm usually working my way to the capitol, with the Resource silo and all creature dwellings, except for the wywerns and cyclops, leaving upgrades till later.

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 30 Nov 2007, 09:18

Oh, and I'm also starting the defensive tree - frot, etc. - after I've built the dwellings.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 30 Nov 2007, 19:48

What map are you using?

Moving to a larger map size might give you more time to build up before the AI player reach your starting city.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 30 Nov 2007, 19:53

What do you get from chests? It's usually better to take all in gold except perhaps the first few levels. Yes normally you should build dwellings, then citadel and castle.
- Metathron

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 30 Nov 2007, 21:26

Wow, thank you, guys, I didn't even expect so many answers...
1. I play almost exclusively on medium to large maps. The smaller ones are absolute killers in my opinion.
2. I haven't thought about taking the gold from chests, and not the experience... well, I'll give it a try, it may solve the money shortage I'm always experiencing.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Nov 2007, 21:47

The money you pick early will often generate experience thanks to the additional creatures/war machines/spells you obtain. The opposite is not true.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”