ToTe-needs tweeking

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
saugeen
Peasant
Peasant

ToTe-needs tweeking

Unread postby saugeen » 19 Nov 2007, 15:15

I love this expansion game, but there are certain areas that need some tweeking. for example, loading and closing of the game takes forever. also going into the town screen to hire or upgrade troops or to build a structure. I think that's why it is getting such poor reviews. The game itself is not too difficult to play. I usually play on normal. Does anyone have thoughts on the slowness of the game in the above mentioned areas. My computer has all the latest and greatess hardware and etc. Maybe it XP that is at fault.

vulnevia
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby vulnevia » 19 Nov 2007, 15:33

I play on a 2-3 year old computer, Windows XP and I don't experience the slowness you're talking about... The only thing that's great with my comp is the 2 GB RAM but the rest isn't anything to brag about :)

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 19 Nov 2007, 19:37

I only have 512MB RAM, which is below the minimum requirements for the game. If I close everything else before playing and play a normal/small map, then the game runs fine, but on huge maps I have the same problems you do.

As for difficulty, I play single scenarios on Hard, but the campaigns on Easy, and still find the campaigns more difficult... But it annoys me that the reviews all focus on the campaigns, which weren't what I bought the game for.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: ToTe-needs tweeking

Unread postby Metathron » 19 Nov 2007, 20:27

saugeen wrote:I love this expansion game, but there are certain areas that need some tweeking. for example, loading and closing of the game takes forever. also going into the town screen to hire or upgrade troops or to build a structure. Does anyone have thoughts on the slowness of the game in the above mentioned areas. My computer has all the latest and greatess hardware and etc. Maybe it XP that is at fault.
Mine doesn't have all the latest and greatest and I'm experiencing exactly what you have described. I usually play on normal as well, but will certainly crank it up a notch after I get better acquainted with the maps and learn all the little tricks.
tb5841 wrote:But it annoys me that the reviews all focus on the campaigns, which weren't what I bought the game for.
I bought the game for the single player experience, as I'm not much of a campaign player (HoMM V campaigns, that is, otherwise I love 'em). I left the game in the second map of the necro campaign, just wasn't especially engaging, which did not come as a big giant surprise.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Yngvi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yngvi » 19 Nov 2007, 21:34

I'm pleased and surprised with the game's performance. On the whole, it runs fast and well. I only have 1 GB of RAM and a 128 MB video card, the minimum requirements, so I thought it would be a nightmare. I'm glad I was wrong!

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby nevermindspy » 20 Nov 2007, 16:34

The key word here is RAM from experience 512MB of ram added to computer can improve performance HUGLY so my advice to anyone who has performance problem is get more RAM and more RAM is not that expensive either..

hampig71
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hampig71 » 20 Nov 2007, 16:43

I'm gonna get some RAM than. Because my game runs terribly slow at times. However I have Vista. Do you think that, Vista could be a problem. Because I've played the game on a friends computer and the game ran awsome on his laptop as opossed to mine. Which makes no sense because my computer is newer than his and ToTE says its Vista compatible.

ArchangelGabriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ArchangelGabriel » 21 Nov 2007, 15:00

I do have two gigs of RAM, a 3500+ AMD-X2 and a X1800GTO. Sometimes it runs like the wind and then again it's slow like hell. It's a matter of the camera position. If you put it into a full bird perspective the game runs much smoother than trying to play in a horizontal perspective.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 21 Nov 2007, 15:28

my pc used to lag like hell in the main menu
thank god there's this black menu mod :D
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

saugeen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby saugeen » 21 Nov 2007, 18:40

I discovered why my game was so laggy and having to wait forever for things to happen espcially when loading the game and to enter the town screen to perform various things. I had spyware program installed on my computer which according to my husband was very cpu intensive. I uninstalled it and the performance of the game has improved. It is still a bit laggy but not as bad as it was.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 23 Nov 2007, 03:25

saugeen, you may also want to defrag your hard drive and make sure your computer doesn't launch any programs at startup. Check in Start > Programs > Startup and clear out anything you don't need. Every little thing helps!

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 23 Nov 2007, 09:25

When I played Heroes V or any of the two expansion on a weaker system to tweak the game a bit I closed every unnecessary program even the explorer. May not give so much, but it may be just enough to make the game to run smoothly.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby nevermindspy » 23 Nov 2007, 16:09

haloswift wrote:my pc used to lag like hell in the main menu
thank god there's this black menu mod :D
Where is that mod? Does it work on TOTE?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”