About Campaign.sav and its application

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

About Campaign.sav and its application

Unread postby maltz » 15 Nov 2007, 22:27

The brief story goes like this. In TotE C3M4 I had no way to win in that Kujin fight without using Gotai's cyclops. But I might have a shot if I knew back in C2M4 that Kujin is going against this insanity - and I could have modified her skills at the Memory Mentor just before her exit.

So do I have to go back to my C2M4 save file and play C2M5 ~ C3M4 all over? That will take a week and I am not going to do that for a stupid game design. No!

Yet I know there is a little hole in the game regarding a little key file called Campaign.sav. It is located in your profile's save folder. Everytime you win a mission in the campaign, the game updates the Campaign.sav with new information such as your main hero's current stats, artifacts, builds, and the number of days you used to win the mission (to be used in Hall of Fame).

Whenever you start a new mission in the campaign, the game reads Campaign.sav to decide what heroes to load, including the stats, artifacts, etc.

Now comes the interesting part - there is ONLY ONE campaign.sav.

So, theoretically, if I want to have a different Kujin, I will simply load my C2M4 file (which contains info of whatever heroes I have at that time), and win the mission with the new Kujin build. The game will update the Campaign.sav to have the new Kujin.

Then, through main menu I choose to start C3M4 from fresh. This way I am not loading any file - the game has to dig up the heroes' info from Campaign.sav. Now, hopefully my Zehir's information has not been erased by the C2M4 update, so I will have both the existing Zehir AND the "new" Kujin! I only have to replay the first part of C3M4.

I used to do this in the original HoMM5 and it worked well.

But so far I can't do it for both Kujin and Freyda, because inevitably I had to load the game for the second time, and in that load game file I didn't have the updated Kujin or Freyda, whoever I just modified.

I believe each .sav file also keeps track of all your previous heroes' information. Therefore, when you load a .sav file (save game file), you are not loading the campaign.sav's version, and when you finish this mission coming from this .sav file, you are going to overwrite the Campaign.sav with whatever you had in the .sav file.

This means that once you have a "updated" Campaign.sav, you cannot continue by just loading the game. You have to start the current mission fresh from the main menu.

I wonder where there is anyway around this? So far my shortest route is still to (1) Configure C3M2 Freyda, finish the mission (2) Load Kujin's C2M4, reconfigure and finish the mission, and (3) restart C3M3 fresh from main menu and work to C3M4. I still have to replay C3M3! NO~~~

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Nov 2007, 00:56

Very useful info. Thanks.
I wonder, is there any files like that in H3 and/or H4?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”