ToE AI

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

ToE AI

Unread postby tumorbane » 24 Oct 2007, 15:23

So what differences have people observed? So far, on the plus side, I've noticed that the AI will retreat...usually after I raise a big stack or summon elementals. On the minus side, it seems to turtle its forces rather than charge even when it has the numbers. Once last night, it had a large stack of arch devils, but just defended with them until I could nerf them down and take them on. Had they charged, I might have lost the battle.

Also, it seems to be much quicker, but I haven't played anything but the campaign games yet, so maybe it's too soon to judge that.

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 24 Oct 2007, 16:05

In my experience, the AI never retreated in the campaign. I play on normal difficulty, so that may have something to do with it, though.

I also noticed a tendency with enemy heroes to hold back his troops and defend with them, instead of attacking. And not just when he is being besieged either.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 24 Oct 2007, 16:06

all I know that the ai is pretty stupid, I've killed over 10 goblins, by just attacking the cyclops, so he uses swallow gobin ability
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 24 Oct 2007, 17:18

[quote="Arveragus"]In my experience, the AI never retreated in the campaign. I play on normal difficulty, so that may have something to do with it, though.
quote]

I have been playing on "hard." The AI hasn't retreated every time it should have, but it has retreated maybe 6 times or so. I think one time it actually dropped an artifact, so maybe that's a new feature as well. (possibly the artifact was already there but I don't think so)

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 25 Oct 2007, 16:03

Huh, I guess the campaign AI is different from the scenario AI. In my expirience (even in HoMM 1-4) the AI will CONSTANTLY retreat, unless they have a vastly supirior force than you do (in fact it gets quite annoying after a while, thank goodness for the shackles of war).
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 25 Oct 2007, 17:46

Ohma wrote:Huh, I guess the campaign AI is different from the scenario AI. In my expirience (even in HoMM 1-4) the AI will CONSTANTLY retreat, unless they have a vastly supirior force than you do (in fact it gets quite annoying after a while, thank goodness for the shackles of war).
You're kidding. Have you been playing Heroes V? On what level? I always play hard and until ToE, the AI essentially never retreated. In Heroes III, it would always do the old "cast devastating spell and run away" move.

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 25 Oct 2007, 22:27

tumorbane wrote: You're kidding. Have you been playing Heroes V? On what level? I always play hard and until ToE, the AI essentially never retreated. In Heroes III, it would always do the old "cast devastating spell and run away" move.
Normal.

Though it could be that since my friend and I play larger maps, that we only encounter the AI once we've built up a considerable force. But that still wouldn't jive with what I've heard about the AI only sending one or two heroes into your territory, every time we've played the AI chooses to pick on one of us exclusivley, and refuses to let us go more than three days without sending another (in any smaller map fully stocked) hero at us.
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

LarkinVB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby LarkinVB » 26 Oct 2007, 08:32

I found that the AI is a bit better than in HoF but still dumb. I usually play random maps in hot seat with a friend with 2 additional AIs.

Anything less than heroic is too easy to beat. I modified the game so that all players (human and AI) get the same starting resources and increased AI town creature growth by 10%. I also increased neutral creature growth to 1.25.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 26 Oct 2007, 13:20

Pre-ToE, normal = instant retreat and hard = never retreat.

Toe, normal = never retreat and hard = instant retreat.

Is that about right?

@LarkinVB, which resources, 105555 for both?

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 26 Oct 2007, 16:07

PhoenixReborn wrote:Pre-ToE, normal = instant retreat and hard = never retreat.

Toe, normal = never retreat and hard = instant retreat.

Is that about right?

Not exactly. In the retreats I've seen (hard, ToE campaign) they usually come after several rounds of combat.

Never knew that on normal the AI would retreat in HV.

Would love a step-by-step mod for dummies explanation of how to get the computer to start with the same resources and grow a little faster. I gave up on the editor as I have no knowledge of LUA scripting.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 26 Oct 2007, 16:14

tumorbane wrote: Would love a step-by-step mod for dummies explanation of how to get the computer to start with the same resources and grow a little faster. I gave up on the editor as I have no knowledge of LUA scripting.
You can take a look at my thread here where I got help:

hc mod thread

No map editor work needed.

So they got it right on the hard difficulty retreating then?

LarkinVB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby LarkinVB » 27 Oct 2007, 07:45

30/30/15/15/15/15/30000 for human and AI.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 Oct 2007, 15:55

LarkinVB wrote:
30/30/15/15/15/15/30000 for human and AI.
Ah, this may be a niggle but if you want the resources to be equivalent it should be

30/30/15/15/15/15/30000 for human

and

20/20/10/10/10/10/20000 for AI because of the discount.

So is that on heroic that you set those resources?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”