Missing "Split Stack Button" ???

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Missing "Split Stack Button" ???

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Oct 2007, 07:12

PhoenixReborn wrote:
PlanesWalker wrote:Would it be that hard for them to put a button on the screen that splits them in town or on the game map?
This is a rare occasion where I think JJ is confused.

People are talking about a button to click on the screen that allows you to split troops. No keyboard necessary, it's all mouse driven (but not actaully a button on the mouse, not sure where that idea came from). Like the current on-screen wait button.

And I'll bet AS is really good at typing with his chin

I thought we already had a mod that added a wait button and a split button.
LOL, yes. Never used that button. :) Takes too long (3 clicks before you get the split screen). Shift-clicking is much faster.
But I'm indeed wrong here, sorry. Yes, there is a split button.

What I actually meant in my first post to TT is that haloswift just said that he wouldn't use that button even if it was there, not that we wouldn't need any buttons or could even remove them all.
ZZZzzzz....

JohnDoe777
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JohnDoe777 » 25 Oct 2007, 09:45

I'd also love to see a split button, i usually dont have the keyboard close when i play, and it sucks having to reach for it everytime i wanna split.. It'd be so easy for them to add this so why not?!
Also, why the hell cant they add an (in-game) option to choose teams when creating multiplayer games?!

PlanesWalker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PlanesWalker » 25 Oct 2007, 13:58

This is my second biggest complaint. Why the hell do i need to fire up the map editor to create "allied maps"?

Does anyone remember heroes III and their RMG? It can do everything (in-game) and it was made in '98.

Sad Nival, sad.
Patching Eternal!

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 25 Oct 2007, 14:10

PlanesWalker wrote:This is my second biggest complaint. Why the hell do i need to fire up the map editor to create "allied maps"?

Does anyone remember heroes III and their RMG? It can do everything (in-game) and it was made in '98.

Sad Nival, sad.
lucky there are allready ally'd maps in tite
maltz wrote:Let me guess. You right click the mouse to copy and paste? :D
if that question is directed to me: nope I prefer ctrl+v/c/x
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Oct 2007, 15:51

Jolly Joker wrote: What I actually meant in my first post to TT is that haloswift just said that he wouldn't use that button even if it was there, not that we wouldn't need any buttons or could even remove them all.
Not this again.... :disagree:

"you can use the keyboard" is a stupid reason to not put a button in the game... and it applies to all buttons (unless they don't have any assigned keys, which is again stupid).

what if yesterday, when i was finally washing the old keyboard i'm using (my bro must have not cleaned it once in the 3-4 years he's been using it) because i spilled water on the one that came with this PC 5 years ago, i wanted to play some Heroes 5... how would i ever split stacks?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 25 Oct 2007, 15:58

Yeah, those people who use other ways of doing stuff on a computer are teh stupid111
:rolleyes:

Really now, I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on the "Defend HoMM5 Bandwagon" (which is completely false as I understand all too well) even when doing so requires them to make bizarre leaps of logic (like deciding that a "split army button" was some kind of mouse modification rather than a UI feature).

But to echo others in the thread, after several other things (not being able to just frakkin' toggle whether a map is allied or not being one of the more pressing issues I still have with 5) a button to split an army included in the game's UI is something that I'm feeling rather more frustrated with than I would've thought. (granted, that's probably partly because my friend who I play 5 with bought a gigantic 42+" screen TV that we have to sit a few feet away from to really see everything we need to see).
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Oct 2007, 16:43

ThunderTitan wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote: What I actually meant in my first post to TT is that haloswift just said that he wouldn't use that button even if it was there, not that we wouldn't need any buttons or could even remove them all.
Not this again.... :disagree:

"you can use the keyboard" is a stupid reason to not put a button in the game... and it applies to all buttons (unless they don't have any assigned keys, which is again stupid).

what if yesterday, when i was finally washing the old keyboard i'm using (my bro must have not cleaned it once in the 3-4 years he's been using it) because i spilled water on the one that came with this PC 5 years ago, i wanted to play some Heroes 5... how would i ever split stacks?!
No. This is a different case. Compare with the wait button (or any other button for that matter). You click a button and voila, that's it. So a Wait button makes a lot of sense.
That's not true for splitting which is something of a special case because the split button does not actually split:
a) you must select the unit in question
b) you must hit the split button
c) you must select the slot in which to split the detachment
d) you get the split screen and have to divide the troops, in general by holding and sliding the bar because clicking + or - is pretty tedious.

If you use the keyboard you combine points a to c with one action shift-hold/dragging while for d it is often the better option to clik into the numbers and enter the desired number with keys.

So if haloswift said he wouldn't use the button even if it was there, for me it meant that the shift-way is the better one and I agree here.
With no word he said that he don't like mouse buttons, so your comment was simply unfitting and hopelessly off.

That doesn't mean such a button could hurt or something.
However, it would clearly not be the most important UI button of all times either.
ZZZzzzz....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Oct 2007, 17:12

Jolly Joker wrote: However, it would clearly not be the most important UI button of all times either.
:disagree: coz that's what i said...

With no word he said that he don't like mouse buttons, so your comment was simply unfitting and hopelessly off.
When did i say that i thought he didn't like mouse buttons?! (and what do mouse buttons have to do with anything?)
What i said is that that's not a valid reason for not putting it in.

How many people have you seen go on forums asking how to split stacks or wait in combat because there was no button there with a nice description of the key attached to it? I've seen plenty.

a) you must hit the Shift key;
b) you must select the unit in question;
c) you must select the slot in which to split the detachment
wow, look, 3 actions also... it's only faster because most of us have 2 hands... and that applies to the Wait button too, if your left hand has a finger on/near the W key it's easier to press it then to move the mouse to the bottom right of the screen.

But what about people with a missing arm?! You didn't think about them, did you?!

JJ doesn't care about one-handed people!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 25 Oct 2007, 17:27

Well i can split my troops with one hand in H5 so whatever.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Oct 2007, 17:36

Just for explanation, in this context, when I say "mouse button" I actually mean a button you can click on with a mouse.
And, no, I can't remember many people demanding a split button (I actually remember no one), but there were lots and lots who wanted a wait button.
ZZZzzzz....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Oct 2007, 17:40

It's not about demanding, it's about asking how to do it... heck, i saw one person in the AoH forum asking what does the new Wait function does.

And yes, the Wait button was more requested, it doesn't mean the others aren't welcomed too:

viewtopic.php?p=133846&highlight=split+stacks#133846

viewtopic.php?p=120572&highlight=split+stacks#120572

And just Button will do... because the things on the keyboard are called Keys... that are on a board.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Oct 2007, 18:07

I'd have no problem with a split button either.
I just didn't like the way you was arguing again haloswift. That's why I said, please, TT, which meant, spare us the CHEAP rethorics. I've a lot of faith that you can do a lot better with a little bit of effort. Any why not?

JJ doesn't care about one-handed people!

is actually rather good. :)
ZZZzzzz....

PlanesWalker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PlanesWalker » 26 Oct 2007, 14:44

My reason is often i have a beer or child in one hand or am playing hot seat and not sitting close to the keyboard. Its annoying to have to ask someone else to hold down shift.

A key to do this would be nice.
Patching Eternal!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Oct 2007, 16:46

@JJ
Hey, when you prove you're worthy then i use my expensive rethoric... i have standards you know.
PlanesWalker wrote:My reason is often i have a beer or child
Or a child holding a beer...

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 26 Oct 2007, 18:30

PlanesWalker wrote:My reason is often i have a beer or child in one hand or am playing hot seat and not sitting close to the keyboard. Its annoying to have to ask someone else to hold down shift.

A key to do this would be nice.
yup life is about making sacrifices, and suffering
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

drommarnas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby drommarnas » 27 Oct 2007, 17:32

haloswift wrote: yup life is about making sacrifices, and suffering
If you have to drag other people in, by asking them to hold the shift-button, then it's called "mass suffering".
They also tend to get the "enraged" ability.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 27 Oct 2007, 22:52

umm why so i press a shift button when i wanna split stacks? :baby:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 30 Oct 2007, 15:46

Yup..you hold shift while dragging the creature icons and then you choose to split.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”