Memory Mentor?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alabaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Memory Mentor?

Unread postby Alabaster » 23 Oct 2007, 21:37

Can someone tell me where the memory menotr is to reset learned skills? Is it in all town? Part of a building? A thing out on the campaign map?

I'm doing custom single player. If it is only out in the countryside, is it only on newer maps? Or is there just a button I am missing in the hero or town pages? Sometimes I take a while to find little tabs like the Kingdom Overview (which I only found today, has that been there the whole time?) and the caravans and such.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 23 Oct 2007, 21:49

The Memory Mentor is a place on the map, not something that gets built or visited in towns. I'm not sure how it works, having thus far been quite lucky with skill options, but I imagine you'd have to pay to use one.
I can't find a picture, but I know that the map where the objective is 'Save the Princess' has one near your starting position.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 23 Oct 2007, 22:49

It looks like a mage on a flying carpet. You visit him and you can forget any skill even the ones your hero has by default or racial skills for a fee (2500 or 3500g iirc).

For each skill level you "forgot", your hero will be offered a new random choice of skills, as if he was levelling up again.

He can only be found on TotE maps if the mapmaker put one (obviously!).

The kingdom overview is new with TotE and just got introduced to H5 vanilla through patch 1.6.

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 24 Oct 2007, 00:33

The Memory Mentor is one of the best additions to the Heroes V game. The best thing about is that the choices offered after forgetting a skill are completely random, whereas regular level-ups offer the exact same skills every time (even when you reload).

The only thing that may not work as intended with the Memory Mentor is that you can still cast the high-level spells of a magic school you have unlearned.

Alabaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alabaster » 24 Oct 2007, 01:07

Has anyone seen this on a Randomly Generated map?

Also, do you pay per skill? or once, and then you are flushed?

So you could get worse offers the second time?

Do you lose spells you dont have the mastery for? What if you do it again and re-get the Expert Destruction or whatever? Will the spell come back?

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 24 Oct 2007, 01:57

Alabaster wrote:Has anyone seen this on a Randomly Generated map?
I have not, but then again, I do not play those.
Alabaster wrote:Also, do you pay per skill? or once, and then you are flushed?
You pay for each individual ability (ex. Pathfinding) and for each level of a skill. So if you want to completely lose say, Advanced Logistics and Pathfinding, you have to pay three times. Also, you can not remove an ability or skill if it is a prerequisite of another ability. You can not remove the Expert level of Logistics if you have three abilities for the skill (ex. Pathfinding, Scouting and Navigation) before you remove one of these first. The same goes for abilities with prerequisite abilities, so you can not keep the Triple Ballista ability and remove the Ballista ability, for example.
Alabaster wrote:So you could get worse offers the second time?
Potentially, yes. The trick is to keep the skills you like, delete the ones you don't and hope for the best with the new choices. Of course, if those do not turn out the way you like, you can keep unlearning your skills until you are completely happy with them (you will have to pay every time, of course).
Alabaster wrote:Do you lose spells you dont have the mastery for? What if you do it again and re-get the Expert Destruction or whatever? Will the spell come back?
As I mentioned above, you do not lose the spells when you unlearn a particular magic school, though the spells will lose a lot of their potency without mastery in the associated magic school.

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 25 Oct 2007, 00:03

Nelgirith wrote:You visit him and you can forget any skill even the ones your hero has by default or racial skills for a fee (2500 or 3500g iirc).
This is not entirely true. While a hero can indeed lose some of the skills he starts with, he can NEVER unlearn the basic level of his racial skill.

Let's take the Barbarian hero Gotai for example. He starts with Advanced Blood Rage and Basic Shout. Gotai can unlearn the Advanced level of Blood Rage and the basic level of Shout (thus losing the skill completely), but he can NOT unlearn the basic level of Blood Rage.

If he does unlearn the Advanced level of Blood Rage and the basic level of Shout, though, he will be able to pick a total of two new skills and/or abilities (as if he leveled up twice).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Oct 2007, 15:57

Eliminating the racial would be stupid... it's what makes the hero his class...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 25 Oct 2007, 16:55

If it wasn't for the fact that I saw this thing in the demo, I would have believed it was something in your town.

The manual that comes with the game says exactly this, "Memory Mentor is a brand new special building that can be built in your towns."
Seriously, how can anyone make this mistake when writing a game manual? That's pathetic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Oct 2007, 17:15

Might have something to do with the fact that the manual makers where fans that didn't have direct access to the latest expansion yet...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 25 Oct 2007, 18:09

Oh, I wasn't referring to the manual that the fans made. This was in that printed booklet that came with the game. As far as I know that's directly from Ubi themselves and they don't know how their own game works?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Oct 2007, 10:22

WOW, they included an official booklet with actual building descriptions?! they are getting better at this... :devil:

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 26 Oct 2007, 15:38

Yeah, buildings that don't even exist. Way to check your own game there Ubi. :rofl:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Oct 2007, 17:12

They obviously didn't have a big enough budget for any more neurons... :devil:

Got any pics of that manual?! I could use a laugh...

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 28 Oct 2007, 07:12

Sorry, I don't have any pics of it.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”