A bug (here we go again)...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

A bug (here we go again)...

Unread postby BigBadPig » 18 Oct 2007, 16:29

The bug is as following: after 3-4 hours of play the game becomes unplayable - the performance is so choppy it reminds me of the problems with some early games and as early Pentiums, computer turns take forever and the panoramic camera inside castles twitches like there's no tomorrow. The only way to fix that is to reinstall the game (yes, regular restarts don't do squat), and then after some time happens the same s..t.
Am I the only one lucky or is there someone else sharing my experience?

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Re: A bug (here we go again)...

Unread postby tumorbane » 18 Oct 2007, 16:40

Assume you're talking about ToE. Played a few hours last night...had it "on" for at least six hours. No problems (other than the battle griffin rush bug mentioned elsewhere). Actually seemed to run much more smoothly than HoF.

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 18 Oct 2007, 16:44

Yes, sorry, I did mean the ToE. Well, as it was said somewhere in the forums "you must have had an Expert Luck":).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

(here we go again)...

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Oct 2007, 16:57

...on our own, down the only road we've ever known...

Gotta love those performance issues... i'd say play with some of the settings, you never know what might give.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 18 Oct 2007, 16:57

BigBadPig wrote:Yes, sorry, I did mean the ToE. Well, as it was said somewhere in the forums "you must have had an Expert Luck":).
NO, it means that you have bad luck, as both my brother and I have played this game (tote) for 6 days, in my case about 5 hours a day with smooth and clean gameplay all the way through. As you're the 1st to report your problem, I'd seriously look at your system configs.
I THINK SO THEREFORE I AM

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 18 Oct 2007, 17:12

One thing I'd like to add, for now. While the game was on my hard drive, I could not play other games also, due to the same problem (choppiness). Before I installed ToE everything worked fine, and now, after I uninstalled it in a hurry, things got back to normal.
Make of this what you will...

LarkinVB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby LarkinVB » 18 Oct 2007, 17:49

The bug is as following: after 3-4 hours of play the game becomes unplayable
You don't have an Nvidia 8800 GTS with 320 MB RAM, do you ? They are famous for their VRAM bug.

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 18 Oct 2007, 18:02

You don't have an Nvidia 8800 GTS with 320 MB RAM, do you ? They are famous for their VRAM bug.[/quote]

No, I have a Radeon 9600. Not a top, but certainly feasible. Played HoMM5 and the first expansion smoothly. Played S.T.A.L.K.E.R - don't know if you're familiar with the game - no sweat. And now - this? Seriously, until I've uninstalled the Tribes, no other game worked...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Oct 2007, 18:14

Notice that for some reason the requirements have increased between H5 and ToE: we're talking about 1 Gig of RAM now.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 18 Oct 2007, 18:18

Increased to 1 gig?! That's unpleasant :|
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 18 Oct 2007, 18:43

Angelspit wrote:Notice that for some reason the requirements have increased between H5 and ToE: we're talking about 1 Gig of RAM now.
It's exactly what I've got on my rig. And how would one explain the ill-affected performance of other games on my HD?..

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 18 Oct 2007, 19:37

played the game for almost a week now, I haven't noticed something similar

btw I just found another "thing" it isn't exactly a bug but it isn't supposed to be this way
when the opponents have used invisebility it's quite easy to find them using the set snares ability from the goblin trapper, cuz your unable to set the trap at a squire wich isn't occupied (although you can't see anything on it)
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 18 Oct 2007, 23:51

I also have had no problems with ToTE. In fact, I would have to say the overall performance is better than HoF and the original. Have played for many hours with no issue.

yuritch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yuritch » 19 Oct 2007, 06:00

If you have problems with other games after ToE install, then maybe you are low on disk space? ToE uses more RAM than the previous Heroes V versions, so it needs more space for the swap file.
This doesn't explain why the problem temporarily goes away with reinstall though, but still you should check the amount of free HD space, just in case.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 19 Oct 2007, 06:41

My only problem with lag in ToE is after cinematics that rotates the camera.

This issue had already been raised by the french PC Gamer reviewer during the preview of the game shortly before the release. But closing and restarting the game was enough to get rid of the lag for me.

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 19 Oct 2007, 09:47

I've over 10Gb free space on my HD, and... well, looks like I'm gonna have to wait for patches.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 19 Oct 2007, 10:44

Nelgirith wrote:My only problem with lag in ToE is after cinematics that rotates the camera.

This issue had already been raised by the french PC Gamer reviewer during the preview of the game shortly before the release. But closing and restarting the game was enough to get rid of the lag for me.
true, especially when units are under a storm cloud
just uncheck cinematic camara :)
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 19 Oct 2007, 11:05

Cinematic camera doesn't cause any lag to me, I'm talking about the in-game cinematics, especially the ones that will point to your next objective on the map. These cinematics rotate the camera, point to the area, then scroll back to your main hero ... these are memory consuming and the game becomes sluggish afterwards.

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 19 Oct 2007, 21:08

Well, rumor that the game slows down on large maps is confirmed, as opposed to it working fine on normal maps, for example. Hope it will be fixed by patches. I have another question: do I miss something or there's no way to alternate between cyclops' regular attack and his goblin throw? I've not found one as of yet, so even if my cyclops is able to reach his target and melee it, the cursor still shows the throw option only.

BigBadPig
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BigBadPig » 19 Oct 2007, 21:09

Ups, sorry about the double post, my internet connection is something... bad.

--fixed, Pol

Return to “Heroes V-VI”