What does everyone think of the new creatures?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

What does everyone think of the new creatures?

Unread postby GSte » 29 Sep 2007, 13:07

I know its hard to judge at the moment, but from the look of the 3rd creature types, it seems a bit confusing...... when you build the upgrade building you then get the choice of two 'new' creature types that are the same cost but with different abilities. How are you supposed to know which one is best???

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 29 Sep 2007, 13:39

if one were the best, then why would be the point to the other one?

It's a matter of choice and usefulness in different situations.

GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GSte » 29 Sep 2007, 14:24

I agree that that is the point of them, but do you think this was really neccessary? Personally I feel its complicating further an already fairly complicated game (compared to other RTSs)...

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 29 Sep 2007, 14:29

Well, this isn't a real trime strategy game.

As for the upgrades, I like having options and have found a use for every Stronghold unit. As Okrane pointed out, it usually boils down to the situation. For seiges, you'll want to take a Wild Cyclops with you, for their wall crushing ability. But due to their ability to kill multiple creatures with a swipe, which really sucks when an enemy uses it to their advantage, the Blood-Eyed Cyclops is a great alternative.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Sep 2007, 15:39

GSte wrote:but do you think this was really necessary?
How else where they going to add more creatures then H3 had?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 29 Sep 2007, 16:53

ThunderTitan wrote: How else where they going to add more creatures then H3 had?!
More towns and neutrals?

Oh no wait; this is Ubival.

800 types of dragon. :devious:

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Sep 2007, 05:33

Kareeah Indaga wrote:Oh no wait; this is Ubival.

800 types of dragon.
You misspelled 3do in that first sentence. :)

The branching upgrades were what I wanted from the first; it allows for a more personalized style of play.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 30 Sep 2007, 17:39

am I the only one that allready sees an obvious choise path?

goblin trapper should work nicely with centaurs, wich doctors in lategame when fighting opponent heroes, besides since their prolly just gunna be sacrifice meat they might aswell stay back instead of risking getting slaughterd

centaur nomad, I don't see any reason to have an extra melee unit that's sucky in shooting

warmonger, taunt and fierce retaliation sounds good when trying to defend centaurs

earth daughter, pretty much better in every aspect besides that she can only cast haste/slow 2 times, but that's what goblins are for

Executioner, cleave is very very good, frightfull aura aswell, and I don't really see a point in a creature that is able to raise iniatitive of other creatures near him, I mean those around him would be long gone before it's his turn

paokai sounds great when your fighting turtling haven, or any heroew, killing creatures behind their meatshield aswell, and eating then afterwards foul wyvern sounds great when fighting strong neutrals

both cyclopses are good choises, it depends if you want to use it as a goblin launching battery, siege unit want to just attack with them or want to risk getting your own units killed
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 30 Sep 2007, 18:39

I disagree with a few of your points.

As far as centaurs are concerned, I prefer the Mauraders. They have twice as much defense, an additional hit point, and +1 speed. The only things Nomads have up on them are 2 more shots and +1 max damage. Plus manuever doesn't really mean much if the nomads are surrounded.

As for the Earth and Sky Daughters, it depends on your situation. If you are defending or attacking a castle, the chain lightning ability of the Sky Daughter could be very useful. The major downsides of it being you have to be close to goblins and sacrifice them before you can cast the spells.

I agree that the Executioners are a superior unit, but I think Cheiftains are better for defense with +8 hitpoints and +5 defense. Plus the initiative bonus could be use useful for Sky Daughters and Mauraders. But really, the Executions are almost too good to pass up.

As to the wyverns, I feel the foul ones got the short end of the stick. Lower hit points, no multiple attack, and all they get in return are regeneration and poison. Regeneration is nice, but I find if I take a hit with Foul Wyverns, I'm losing more than one. And bringing one back to life at the start of the stack's turn isn't usually enough to save the creatures.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 30 Sep 2007, 23:37

Bandobras Took wrote: You misspelled 3do in that first sentence. :)
No, you misspelled Ubival. :)

jerseys
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jerseys » 01 Oct 2007, 00:14

Did anyone even notice new names and new abilities for some of the renegades?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Oct 2007, 03:10

Yeah. The Fallen Angel got nerfed. No longer has the life drain, it's a caster unit, and now called a Seraph.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Oct 2007, 08:14

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote: You misspelled 3do in that first sentence. :)
No, you misspelled Ubival. :)
Bandobras didn't even say Ubival :devious:
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Oct 2007, 15:40

Akul wrote:Bandobras didn't even say Ubival :devious:
Yes he did, he just misspelled it '3do'. :D

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 01 Oct 2007, 16:42

Omega_Destroyer wrote:I disagree with a few of your points.

As far as centaurs are concerned, I prefer the Mauraders. They have twice as much defense, an additional hit point, and +1 speed. The only things Nomads have up on them are 2 more shots and +1 max damage. Plus manuever doesn't really mean much if the nomads are surrounded.

As for the Earth and Sky Daughters, it depends on your situation. If you are defending or attacking a castle, the chain lightning ability of the Sky Daughter could be very useful. The major downsides of it being you have to be close to goblins and sacrifice them before you can cast the spells.

I agree that the Executioners are a superior unit, but I think Cheiftains are better for defense with +8 hitpoints and +5 defense. Plus the initiative bonus could be use useful for Sky Daughters and Mauraders. But really, the Executions are almost too good to pass up.

As to the wyverns, I feel the foul ones got the short end of the stick. Lower hit points, no multiple attack, and all they get in return are regeneration and poison. Regeneration is nice, but I find if I take a hit with Foul Wyverns, I'm losing more than one. And bringing one back to life at the start of the stack's turn isn't usually enough to save the creatures.
granted wyverns is about situation and fighting style

nm I thought centaur captains had range penalty....

with the daughters it's a matter of playstyle, you either keep sacrificing goblins and chain lightning away or you cast haste on yourself, slow on enemy and attack him 2 times before he attacks you without retaliation

come to think of it, it would be great filling empty slots with sky daughters, and use them as slow/hasting support for the earth daughters
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 01 Oct 2007, 21:50

haloswift wrote:come to think of it, it would be great filling empty slots with sky daughters, and use them as slow/hasting support for the earth daughters
One thing that really disappointed me about the Orc scenario was that I was able to sit back and build up for a couple months yet still win without a problem, primarily due to the fact that all I need to do was get to a catapult to progress towards victory in an irreversible manner. One of the ways in which I managed to accomplish this was to stage "budget defenses." I often did those with several stacks of shamans providing slow and haste support (primarily for my Cyclopes and against enemy Seraphim), but, if I had the upgrade at the time, I would've undoubtedly used Sky Daughters.

When you're actually attacking though, Earth Daughters are the way to go. The Chain Lightning is fairly weak and can only be cast once every two actions. Less, if I have the goblins follow the cyclopes around.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Oct 2007, 23:18

They've changed other units' abilities it appears. I've had both a regular and battle griffin use battle dive on me, which I was quite surpised to see.

jerseys
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jerseys » 02 Oct 2007, 08:52

The battle griffin's dive is some kind of a new dive. I don't remember the name, but he goes in a straight line and I assume he attacks all the units on it's way.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”