The Demo is out!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The Demo is out!

Unread postby okrane » 27 Sep 2007, 15:26

Check out File Planet for the TotE Demo.

http://www.fileplanet.com/180397/180000 ... -East-Demo

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Sep 2007, 15:39

There doesn't seem to be any mirror at the moment.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Sep 2007, 15:42

There is a lovely queue. Took half an hour for me.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Sep 2007, 15:51

Hmm... I wonder if the senate would be upset if downloaded it during our meeting? 900mb takes awhile, even on a wireless connection.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Neckie
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Neckie » 27 Sep 2007, 16:01

http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/demo/29978-h ... e-east.php
the site is in French but the demo is in English just click on "Télécharger la démo" (the red button) and it will start downloading.

Else just google it!

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 27 Sep 2007, 16:23

Doesn't seem to work for me (that alternative link). That button opened new window with some flash games on same site.

NWM, works.

btw gamershell got it as well
their mirrors: http://www.gamershell.com/download_21173.shtml

vulnevia
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby vulnevia » 27 Sep 2007, 21:37

yay! Only toke me a couple of hours with my 5mbit/s line :disagree:

borco
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby borco » 27 Sep 2007, 22:47

I'v downloaded it and it works but how to activate it to try that second map, I don't have any activation key in my demo dir.
orc looks fine so far....:D

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 28 Sep 2007, 01:58

Downloaded it and started playing. I have a few comments:

First of all, the map scrolls ridiculously slowly, even on the highest scroll setting. I have a 3.2 GHz Intel CPU with 2 gibibytes of memory and an nVidia Geforce 6800. In other words, it's not my fault by any means. This seriously, seriously, seriously detracts from the experience. I remember HV being slow, but not that slow.

IMHO, the Stronghold looks fugly.

They put some effort into varying the alternate upgrade, but not enough. I have yet to get a creature to trigger the Goblin Snatcher's trap. Because of that, I'll always be using the Witch Doctors.

What's more, the cost for retraining troops is ridiculously cheap. It's a huge mistake not to charge a penalty for upgrading the unupgraded, but this is even worse. Nothing like a little less planning ahead to boost the strategy in a game...

Lastly, IMHO so far the rage just makes things confusing. With the interface for combat and its slowness, it's hard to quickly gauge the rage levels of troops and their bonuses.

We'll see how my opinion changes after a little more playing.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Sep 2007, 04:25

Darmani wrote: They put some effort into varying the alternate upgrade, but not enough. I have yet to get a creature to trigger the Goblin Snatcher's trap. Because of that, I'll always be using the Witch Doctors.

Lastly, IMHO so far the rage just makes things confusing. With the interface for combat and its slowness, it's hard to quickly gauge the rage levels of troops and their bonuses.
I didn't find it too tough to catch troops with the traps. Just stick a trap in front of a paladin/champion and watch it get stopped. It triggered every time for me.

I agree on the rage thing. Double right clicking has always been clunky.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 28 Sep 2007, 20:36

PhoenixReborn wrote:
Darmani wrote: They put some effort into varying the alternate upgrade, but not enough. I have yet to get a creature to trigger the Goblin Snatcher's trap. Because of that, I'll always be using the Witch Doctors.

I didn't find it too tough to catch troops with the traps. Just stick a trap in front of a paladin/champion and watch it get stopped. It triggered every time for me.

I agree on the rage thing. Double right clicking has always been clunky.
I'll try again, I had been attempting to use it on Squires and Horned Demons.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 28 Sep 2007, 21:12

Just place it in front of them. Worst case scenario is that it will fail and the trapper will lose some atb, otherwise the enemy will be slowed, lose some speed or have his atb value drop to zero.

I don't see what's wrong with an easy retraining. The game is about options anyway and some just work better against specific factions. It would be a shame to fight a 4 player map and not have the money to retrain according to who you face. Besides do you prefer to see just half the units in one game?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 28 Sep 2007, 22:37

One of the Orc heroes looks a lot like General Chang from Star Trek 6.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 28 Sep 2007, 23:15

Elvin wrote:I don't see what's wrong with an easy retraining. The game is about options anyway and some just work better against specific factions. It would be a shame to fight a 4 player map and not have the money to retrain according to who you face. Besides do you prefer to see just half the units in one game?
If I buy some Chieftains but realize that was a mistake and I should have bought some Marauders, there is little penalty for that mistake. If I buy 20 Chieftains but realize I should have bought 10 of each and given them to different armies to face different opponents, there is little penalty for that mistake (Don't mention any BS about only one fighting hero; you'd be nuts to use only one fighting hero on a 4-player map. Coming up with a situation where that's not the case is just nitpicking over examples.).

And yes, I'd prefer if you actually had to make a choice rather than think "Hmmm...I'll get one now and change if I need to."

What Ubival is doing is exchanging a lot of strategy for a little bit of tactics. That's never a good idea....unless you want to dumb-down your game....

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 29 Sep 2007, 07:16

Agree on there should be a punishment for re-training imo.

Of note, can someone fully document the changes to the skill wheel? There are a ton more options, and some paths were changed.

Of note.....ultimates now require one less skill tree, though im not sure i like certain changes....

jerseys
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jerseys » 29 Sep 2007, 21:01

Darmani wrote:

And yes, I'd prefer if you actually had to make a choice rather than think.
fixed.

there is no strategy in making choices based on a pure guess.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 29 Sep 2007, 21:25

jerseys wrote:
Darmani wrote:

fixed.

Good thing nothing in HoMM is ever a pure guess. Otherwise I'd be a little uneasy sending 1 Black Dragon against 1 Peasant...

And if you absolutely have no clue about which creature would be a better one, don't hire them until you find out. Or, since there's no penalty for upgrading, at least be smart enough to use it and wait to find out.

Anyway, while I now think the alternate-upgrade system is decent, I've found something else way too horrible.

I know one problem I had with HoMM was that one really, really strong Implosion could destroy a Catapult and pretty much screw the attacker. Luckily, that's not too problematic because you usually don't get such a strong Implosion. The same is true in HoMM V.

Unfortunately, now there's an easier way. If a hero attacks any Tier X creature, he will kill the exact same amount of them (i.e.: if a hero's attack kills half a Black Dragon, he will also kill half an Angel). The same goes for war machines. However, heroes can't attack war machines. Well, at least they couldn't.

Now we have Powerful Blow, a war cry that causes the Barbarian to attack whatever the creature it was cast on attacks. If I cast Powerful Blow on a stack of 1 Centaur Marauder and he attacks the enemy's catapult, Gotai will do over 4000 damage to the catapult, killing it several times over. Do the same to the ammo cart, and, provided I can survive the hero, the attacker is pretty much screwed.

Smart tactic? Yes. Cheap? Yes. Overpowered? Yes. Should it be in the game? Definitely not.

(Don't even think of saying "I'll just kill the 1 Centaur Marauder, haha." That's nitpicking over examples. What if it was 50 Centaur Marauders?)

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 29 Sep 2007, 21:32

jerseys wrote:
Darmani wrote:

fixed.

This is not GameFAQs/Gamespot. We do not need people "fixing" others' statements.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 30 Sep 2007, 07:05

Oh, sweet! Imma gonna start downloading this soon.....:)

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 30 Sep 2007, 16:42

Imho low tier creatures should have no penality for retraining, it makes game`s start a bit faster if you can quickly modify your army depending on your situation. But from lets say tier 4 there should be some serious penalities to add more strategy.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”