How to beat dwarves?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to beat dwarves?

Unread postby GSte » 24 Sep 2007, 11:14

Can anybody give me any advice on how to beat these pesky fellows? Do they have any particular weaknesses? Fed up of losing hotseat games :D I'm trying to beat them with haven using the mighty Dougal.....

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 24 Sep 2007, 18:00

marksmen rush, and hope they don't get rune of charge?
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 24 Sep 2007, 18:48

I agree with the rushing advice. Take them out as fast as you can. If you don't, you may be stuck facing legions of sheildguards thanks to the Guard Post. Dwarves are quite resource dependent, so try to use that to your advantage. Hopefully you can stop them before they can build their Rune structure (Pathetic that I can't even remember the name of that, especially since I'm writing the Fortress guide).
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Sep 2007, 10:24

Rune Shrine..was it?

And yeah, dwarves are like an armada of walking rubber things encased in steel, they are that though to break down..dont even get me started on that guard post for Fortress...mother nature!

And unless you are a Runemage (mark of fire, ignite ++) up against another runemage, destructive magic aint that good. Not even Warlocks can pierce the defence of hordes of angry dwarves, its crazy!

But Fortress is my fav town, at least on top 3. Since Im more defensive than offensive. Remind me of me and norway, mead and salty meat :D

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 25 Sep 2007, 14:28

The weaknesses of fortress are low initiative and low damage output.

If you are haven you are going to be hitting harder and faster. Try to lure your opponent within range of all those marksmen so you can hit them with precise shot.

Bulk up your guys with mass light spells. Try to focus on one stack at a time to kill it completely so he can't ressurect it.

Don't forget about your creature spells and abilities.

If you are playing on a big map you have much easier access to logistics. Use it to get more stuff in the same time.

mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mr.dna » 27 Sep 2007, 13:07

I currently have a knight build with Maeve that seems quite efficient.
Light Magic
Dark Magic
Offense (tactics + retribution)
Leadership
Enlightenment (stats + intelligence)

The combination of the magic schools seems to be able to save me a lot of headaches dealing with different types of enemies and greatly reduce loses, if the right spells are available. This is pretty much a rush tactic on the battlefield, and dealing with the dwarven fortress, berserk can come in quite handy. Luck instead of Dark magic, could be another option, but I like the combination of the schools.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Sep 2007, 13:32

If you have high enough knowledge and don't face inferno you are gonna enjoy it :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 27 Sep 2007, 13:46

Fortress is a pain to fight against, especially if you're seiging and they've got a guard post. Shieldguards seem to take forever to kill, and Paw Strike is really annoying. I find that magic is the only real solution, and using shooters to take advantage of their low speeds (whilst praying for no Rune of Charge).
mr.dna wrote:I currently have a knight build with Maeve that seems quite efficient.
Light Magic
Dark Magic
Leadership

The combination of the magic schools seems to be able to save me a lot of headaches dealing with different types of enemies and greatly reduce loses, if the right spells are available. This is pretty much a rush tactic on the battlefield, and dealing with the dwarven fortress, berserk can come in quite handy. Luck instead of Dark magic, could be another option, but I like the combination of the schools.
My Freyda had this exact skill set and she was almost unbeatable. I couldn't get Fallen Knight, but with all 3 masteries for Light and Dark and the boosts from Enlightenment I didn't miss it.

mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mr.dna » 27 Sep 2007, 18:37

aaelgr wrote:Fortress is a pain to fight against, especially if you're seiging and they've got a guard post. Shieldguards seem to take forever to kill, and Paw Strike is really annoying. I find that magic is the only real solution, and using shooters to take advantage of their low speeds (whilst praying for no Rune of Charge).
mr.dna wrote:I currently have a knight build with Maeve that seems quite efficient.
Light Magic
Dark Magic
Leadership

My Freyda had this exact skill set and she was almost unbeatable. I couldn't get Fallen Knight, but with all 3 masteries for Light and Dark and the boosts from Enlightenment I didn't miss it.
I'm lvl 29 and haven't gotten master of mind yet...... but normally my hero only get to cast 2-3 times before the battle is over so most it's mass haste, resurrection, resurrection

and with enough gold to train 10 swordsmen to cavaliers every week it really works :devil:

GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GSte » 27 Sep 2007, 20:27

Doesn't sound too promising then...... :(

Is it wise to choose magic with haven? I thought their spellpower wasn't good enough to make it worth it.....

mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mr.dna » 27 Sep 2007, 20:58

GSte wrote:Doesn't sound too promising then...... :(

Is it wise to choose magic with haven? I thought their spellpower wasn't good enough to make it worth it.....
most light and dark magic doesn't need high spellpower to be efficient, but high lvl dark magic spells often require much mana, hence the intelligence.
a combination of mass haste and mass slow means lots of pounding for the enemy troops.

GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GSte » 27 Sep 2007, 23:24

mr.dna wrote:
GSte wrote:Doesn't sound too promising then...... :(

most light and dark magic doesn't need high spellpower to be efficient, but high lvl dark magic spells often require much mana, hence the intelligence.
a combination of mass haste and mass slow means lots of pounding for the enemy troops.
Aaahhh, I'm with you. God I'm such a noob at this game :baby:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”