Factions too uniform

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Factions too uniform

Unread postby mr.dna » 22 Aug 2007, 13:27

One thing I always liked about HOMM was the fact that you could chosse different races and that you could choose wether to go might or magic or somewhere in the middle. But in HOMM V I think each race is always played "the same way". Personally I would like to have a might oriented Dungeon hero with dark magic or a knight hero with powerfull light/dark :devil: combinations, or playing an acedmy with a might orientated approach. I tend to get a bit bored because it seems the options for variation within each race is too little.

Is it just me who hasn't explored the possibilities well enough or do others feel the same?

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 22 Aug 2007, 15:42

I think the heroes system should be like in heroes 3, all factions have both might and magic orientated heroes, one faction still is stronger then the other in magic then the other cuz of special buildings (mana vortex/higher mage guild/library)

the problem is, what's the use of a dungeon might heroew when it has irresistable magic aswell

or they have to think up 2 special race unique ability's for both might and magic...
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Factions too uniform

Unread postby Kristo » 22 Aug 2007, 18:52

mr.dna wrote:One thing I always liked about HOMM was the fact that you could chosse different races and that you could choose wether to go might or magic or somewhere in the middle. But in HOMM V I think each race is always played "the same way". Personally I would like to have a might oriented Dungeon hero with dark magic or a knight hero with powerfull light/dark :devil: combinations, or playing an acedmy with a might orientated approach. I tend to get a bit bored because it seems the options for variation within each race is too little.
I disagree with that. The notion that each faction plays a certain way is part of their individuality. If you could play any faction any way you wanted, the only thing that makes them unique is the creature roster. At that point, you're leading faction X's creatures with a plain hero. That's not a good thing. I hire heroes for a purpose; each faction's hero specializes in different skills and I take advantage of that.

Despite what I have said above, I don't have a problem with the game letting you try odd things with your heroes. It should just produce sub-optimal results. After all, a knight who specializes in Light and Dark magic really isn't much of a knight anymore. An opposing hero whose specialty was magic from day 1 should be able to defeat him easily.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Aug 2007, 18:56

No that this isn't gonna get deleted for no reason, but here it is anyway:

I've already said that the unique skill is enough to make them play differently even without limiting the roles their heroes can have, or at least not make choosing any other roles a losing strategy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 22 Aug 2007, 19:27

I don't think that there is a right answer in this particular debate because the developer needs to do their best to balance the need to make each faction as different from each other as possible vs. maxing the number of different, interesting, and effective ways of playing within each faction.

For me having different hero specials and different skills on heroes is "ok" in terms of maxing the replay value within the faction.

Unless handled very well having both Might & Magic heroes with every faction would just be asking for issues with balance / making all the factions too "vanilla" / etc.

mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mr.dna » 23 Aug 2007, 08:42

Basically the only thing that needed to be changed are the distribution of stats, and the chances of getting different skills.

For instance a priest hero with Att: 15%/ def: 20% / spp: 25% / kno: 40%
a higher chance for dark magic and sorcery.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”