Warhammer of Might and Magic

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jan 2008, 18:50

tress wrote:well dark elves have striking resemblance to warhmmers DE. Altough i am not fan of wh universe i browsed upcoming warhammer online and withc elf is 1:1 as dark elf blood maiden. While with other races i dont see much similarity at least no more than with some D&D universe games.
Check out the Sylvan faction closer... and WH is D&D inspired too, and neither setting is very original anyhow.

2nd Under this logic homm 3 is worst game ever. It has : black, gold, ghost, faerie, rust, crystal and azure. And all they have breath attacks expect farie and crystal one.
Most of us hated the overabundance of dragons in H3 too...

1st they have only 2 dragons in classical meaning and both of them were featured in h3 in bit different meaning. Skeletal dragon and magma one isnt realy simple.
Sure, and why don't we just call every creature Dragon something while we're at it, i mean they're different so why not?

Rakshasa = Glowing Lion Dragon
Paladin = Armoured Dragon with Giant Pointy Stick
etc.

And taking away it's wings and setting it on fire don't make the Magma dragon any less of a giant fire breathing lizard...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 28 Jan 2008, 19:07

That's actually a fine idea. I mean, these NAMES! like

Dragon Elfhunter or Hunting Elfdragon
Dancing Bladedragon (or Winddragon)
Dragonsprite
Ancient Dragonant
Pristine Unidragoncorn
Blood Dragonmaiden
Dragonbear Rider
Untamed Dragon Cyclopse

I mean, Dragonhydra would be somewhat boring even.

Wow, that's what I call fantasy.
ZZZzzzz....

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 29 Jan 2008, 08:45

And taking away it's wings and setting it on fire don't make the Magma dragon any less of a giant fire breathing lizard...
at least they arnt using shortcut of reusing same model with different color. and whats bad with having too much dragons anyway if they are different from each other and i would even say that only 2 look alike. Under such statements there are too much human or elf unit (it dosnt matter they all look different and have different functionality)

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 29 Jan 2008, 09:27

tress wrote: and whats bad with having too much dragons anyway if they are different from each other and i would even say that only 2 look alike. Under such statements there are too much human or elf unit (it dosnt matter they all look different and have different functionality)
The problem with dragons is that many prefer to see them as a rare, very powerful creature. "Ultimate" creature we could say. Declaring dragons as gods and having a multitude of units with "dragon" in their name takes makes them a common unit. Humans or elves, on the other hand, are rarely considered a similar "exceptional" unit.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 29 Jan 2008, 12:05

well under each unit there is nice description that show that those arnt god dragons but are just lesser versions of them depending on race. Also in previous homm games we get angels that are sent by god and still they are compared to regular units. Just this time gods are something more real and actualy tangible or as wizzard faction watch them just more powerful beings. And dragons/angels/ just avatars/offspring of them. What i think is pretty intresting concept.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jan 2008, 18:23

tress wrote: Under such statements there are too much human or elf unit (it dosnt matter they all look different and have different functionality)
Now you're catching on...

Also in previous homm games we get angels that are sent by god
Actually they're sent by aliens...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 30 Jan 2008, 10:30

tress wrote:well under each unit there is nice description that show that those arnt god dragons but are just lesser versions of them depending on race.
That is the point. There are about 8 dragon gods plus 4 families of "real" dragons, which makes the total number of them high. This results that you encounter dragons or their names/followers very frequently. They are no rare and fearsome beasts like in H1 and 2 for example.
Also in previous homm games we get angels that are sent by god and still they are compared to regular units.
As TT said, the angels were not sent by gods. They were a creation of an advanced civilization (Ancients). More like "universal soldiers" than actually divine beings. And nobody really knows for sure how did the Ancients looked like and whether angels or humans are their avatars. Possible, but never confirmed AFAIK.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 31 Jan 2008, 08:08

ThunderTitan wrote:And here's a man on an elephant:
It doesn't remind me HV's Zefir or other mage. It is just "normal" war elephant from East. As you can see, it have tower and also "chauffeur" ;) who also is fighter.
No man in turban smoking water pipe.
Sure, and why don't we just call every creature Dragon something while we're at it, i mean they're different so why not?
OK. Let's start from Sylvan:
Pixie - Wood Sprite of (Earth) Dragon
Blade Dancer - Dragonblade Dancer
Hunter - Hunter of (Earth) Dragon
Druid - Priest of Earth Dragon
Unicorn - Reincarnate Dragon
Treeant - Grove Dragon
and of course - Green Dragon
tress wrote:Also they are simply folowing previous homm game and they featured similar units. 2nd Under this logic homm 3 is worst game ever. It has : black, gold, ghost, faerie, rust, crystal and azure.
In H3 you have 8 cities (later 9). In Three cities (Dungeon, Rampart, Necropolis) you have dragons as 7 tier. So it is 33% of 7 tier units. IIRC crystal, fearie, rust and azure dragons have been higher tier monsters.
Now see in HV - 8 races in which dragons are 7 tier units in 4 of cities (Dungeon, Sylvan, Necropolis, Stronghold). It's 50% of 7 tier monsters.
We have in HV less cities but more dragons in them. And how much neutral monster we have in HV?
Now let see another games: Age of Wonders 2 or Disciples 2. Do they have dragons? They have. Do they have dragons as highest cities tier monster? No (with one exception in AoW2). They have dragons as neutral powerful monsters which can be summoned/buy in some special buildings.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Jan 2008, 12:04

Avonu wrote: It doesn't remind me HV's Zefir or other mage. It is just "normal" war elephant from East. As you can see, it have tower and also "chauffeur" ;) who also is fighter.
No man in turban smoking water pipe.
Yeah, but i was going more for "hey, look, a middle-east inspired faction with elephants and genies".

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 01 Feb 2008, 05:55

I like this game. I don't regret the $ spent for the game + 2 expansions.

I don't mind they copied WH figures. AFAIC, there are no good WH computer games, so if I can think of HoMM5 as the first good WH PC game, then gr8.

But damn I didn't realize Nival copied so much... I was really thinking those Russians are great concept artists.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 01 Feb 2008, 06:07

:shrug:

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

These words are not my original thoughts. They were written by some dude about 3000 years ago. Oh, and he probably copied them from someone else (who might have copied them from someone else). :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2008, 20:32

Actually i made this thread in response to a certain member commenting on how she wouldn't want Blizzard near HoMM because they would turn it into WoMM...

EDIT: And Mark of Chaos ain't bad... it's not that great, but it has very pretty visuals...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”