General LotA thread-Thoughts and opinions thus far.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 27 Aug 2007, 08:18

I too played the first 2 missions of the campaign and I can say I am a bit disappointed. I started playing Heroic since I wanted a real challenge from a map. Personally I don't care that much about the story and usually I just skim through the text in order to find information about the mission I am playing and to form an idea about the storyline. So will not be commenting on this.

What I want to talk about is the game-play. I played the first 2 maps of the campaign and I am bored like hell. What I found really annoying was the fact that in both maps THE COMPUTER PLAYER NEVER LEFT HIS TOWNS.
I never saw a hero on the map. They just turtled in their towns until i gathered a sufficiently strong army to defeat them.

That so reminded me of the first campaigns in the Heroes 5 vanilla where all you do is gather army, for hours and the final fight is a piece of cake. What happened to the Heroes 3 maps I really loved where the AI was actually a challenge. I agree it's not the creators fault. The AI is broken and there's nothing much they can do about it. But still, I remember maps from the Heroes 3 campaign (for example Steadwick's Fall) where the time limit and the armies made troop gathering really difficult and imposed a certain planning, not being able to finish it from the first try at the highest difficulty.

Heroes 4, which indeed had a real poor AI, actually gave a higher challenge because the heroes you encountered were already set at a higher level and they would be harder to defeat. But here, all garrisoned heroes were level 1 and with my 18 attack, 9 defense, 8 spell power and 15 knowledge I just slaughtered them. Gauldoth was the only challenge, but due to the imba gating this hero had, the battle was not memorable.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Aug 2007, 11:05

Yes I saw that exact same thing I had noticed in a previous AI testing - when you have a bigger army the AI chickens out and will not leave town, chain or even try to create opportunities. This is especially annoying on the Solmyr mission because it's as if one week you see green then the other yellow to move on the map. If they were more aggressive the campaign would be a lot more interesting.

In the meantime I got to play some more and now I'm finishing the 6th mission with Malustar. It's getting interesting from a plot perspective and I'm eagerly waiting for more :hoo:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 27 Aug 2007, 12:03

To okrane:
Play the third mission when you are laredy there. That is the hardest mission in the whole campaign.
The 4th mision can be hard when the boss fight comes, but it ain't too hard.
5th and 6th mision are easy as well... in fact, everything with Malustar is easy. Thats one of the reasons why I hate him.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Aug 2007, 20:45

Just saw the pirate faction and the town looks pretty different from haven. Too bad that the screen shakes once I press something. As for the units they are fine but water elementals and especially squires seem a bit weird in there. Yes wardancers do remind of swashbucklers :D

Edit:
Just finished the last mission, it wasn't so hard. What I disliked was that at first I didn't know where the enemy was coming from so I had to go around without even knowing the direction. had to back track a few times.

The story is interesting, I wonder what's with armageddon's blade :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 01 Sep 2007, 16:05

Legends of the Ancients 1.1 Changelog

B1C1-------------------------------

Enemy heroes start at level 5

B1C2-------------------------------

Towns of Rija, Vitross and Nekorrum have more buildings

Enemy heroes (Player 2) start at level 10

Gauldoth can't go out of his fortress

The objects for the guilds' quests only appear after you get the quest

B1C3-------------------------------

Lysander only appears after 2 weeks

Enemy heroes start at level 7

B1C4-------------------------------

Two-ways portals have been replaced by one-way portals

The bag of endless gold is correctly removed after the "old man" quest

B1C5-------------------------------

Player 3's starting hero (Marcius) starts at level 21.

You can't go in the dwarven mines before beating Player 3 (no more "sequence breaking")

More dragons in the Dragon's Lair

B1C6-------------------------------

Enemy is overall stronger (more buildings in castles, heroes start at level 20)

Enemy Reinforcements appear after one month to spice up things.

Castle view in the pirate towns doesn't flicker anymore. (I linked the wrong file, d'oh !)

Due to popular demand, a boss has been added :)
Damn it, well i'm quitting my walkthrough atm till 1.1 is released because those are some different changes. Seems like mission 3 maybe easier, but the others' will be harder. Should be interesting.[/quote]

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 19 Sep 2007, 22:28

What's the ETA on version 1.1? I've stopped playing, in anticipation of the new version........

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 20 Sep 2007, 08:18

shep61 wrote:What's the ETA on version 1.1? I've stopped playing, in anticipation of the new version........
Late september / early october.

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 20 Sep 2007, 15:27

Great! Thanks. It's very good. I hope you keep it going! Clearly a lot of work, though.

Gnoll_Mage
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gnoll_Mage » 21 Sep 2007, 18:23

Mission 2 is disappointing a bit...i rushed Purple wiping him out fast, then just spent time building up till i had a strong army before i even went for the seer's huts to take on Green. The time inbetween purple's death and attacking green was a bit too long for my taste....i'd say this map is a bit small personally. Still, quite fun, and im happy with my level 20 maluster only a few away from urgash's call.
I agree very much with this. I downloaded LotA and greatly enjoyed the first scenario, which was pretty much `perfect` for me. The second started off in a similar way, but once I'd removed the purple player, I realised that I would have to spend some weeks building up armies and heroes, which didn't sound particularly fun. So mission 2 was as far as I got.

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 22 Sep 2007, 03:57

Gnoll_Mage wrote:
Mission 2 is disappointing a bit...i rushed Purple wiping him out fast, then just spent time building up till i had a strong army before i even went for the seer's huts to take on Green. The time inbetween purple's death and attacking green was a bit too long for my taste....i'd say this map is a bit small personally. Still, quite fun, and im happy with my level 20 maluster only a few away from urgash's call.
I agree very much with this. I downloaded LotA and greatly enjoyed the first scenario, which was pretty much `perfect` for me. The second started off in a similar way, but once I'd removed the purple player, I realised that I would have to spend some weeks building up armies and heroes, which didn't sound particularly fun. So mission 2 was as far as I got.
Tip, dont stop there. Mission 3 is the most challenging and fun of the campaign, and the other 2 missions are hardly bad.

Plus 1.1 will come out in a month. Trust me, it gets better.

regnak
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby regnak » 19 Oct 2011, 02:28

Hi first post here,

I just got HOMM5 back in May when I got a new PC and have started playing LOTA recently. I am in book 2 mission 3 and have a problem. I have completed the objectives for 5 of the Stela but have a problem with the Cosmonium one. I think it wants the elemental waistband but I cannot find it anywhere. Is it supposed to be somewhere on the map or do I have to wait until it shows up at an artifact merchant? Thanks for any help.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”