Help needed for HoF mission 5, campaign 2 "Laszlo"

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Help needed for HoF mission 5, campaign 2 "Laszlo"

Unread postby Kildars » 28 Jul 2007, 10:21

Hi all!
I am...stuck in this mission. There would be no problem if Laszlo's army is coming for my castle, but because Duncan has nowhere to go, I let him hide there. And then Wulfstan's army is somewhat less powerful than Laszlo's...
The walkthrough on this site doesn't seem to help me. According to that I have more than one month to explore, build, and collect the artifact. But in the game Laszlo is rushing toward me about the time the first month's gone...
Am I missing something there? Yes yes my Wulfstan isn't so powerful because I am trying to get his Absolute Protection which I still don't have...Destructive Magic doesn't work wonder against Laszlo's huge army.
Could someone help me?

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 29 Jul 2007, 04:16

Is there no one out there who can help me?

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 29 Jul 2007, 05:46

Couldn't you move Duncan somewhere else (towards the one way teleporter for example and let Wulfstan town portal?

Runes should help a lot during the fight.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 29 Jul 2007, 06:00

First of all, you can check out a walkthrough, like this one:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/678

Though this particular one is not particularly helpful if you have trouble winning the fight. Like my fellow Dutchman here noted, Wulfstan should by now be able to use the town portal spell (unless you have neglected to build mage guilds or have not visited Dragon Utopias in previous scenarios), which should transport you back to your hometown. Fighting Laslo from inside your castle will likely be very helpful.

If you can still not defeat Laszlo using regular tactics and if you have invested in destructive magic, you can choose to field no other creatures than your Magma Dragons and let Wulfstan cast the Armageddon spell repeatedly. This spell will damage ALL creatures on the battlefield, but because your dragons are immune to fire damage, they won't feel a thing. After a few castings, Laszlo's army should be decimated, while your dragons should be tough enough to survive any attack Laszlo can throw at you in the meantime. At this point you can finish him off easily, though he will likely just run away, causing you to win.

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 29 Jul 2007, 07:29

OK, thanks for the replies.
My problem is that Laszlo is always chasing after Duncan and I haven't found any spot he could hide, I could only let Duncan stay in the castle, and then even if I station Wulfstan's army(Duncan is already inside), it wouldn't be a siege, no advantage for me...
And also thanks for the Armageddon suggestion. I might try it out, but this must be done earlier, right? It seems my save is forfeit anyway. His 340 Crossbowman + 38 Champion could finish my 9 Magma Dragon easily isn't it? ;|

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 29 Jul 2007, 14:32

Kildars wrote:OK, thanks for the replies.
My problem is that Laszlo is always chasing after Duncan and I haven't found any spot he could hide, I could only let Duncan stay in the castle, and then even if I station Wulfstan's army(Duncan is already inside), it wouldn't be a siege, no advantage for me...
And also thanks for the Armageddon suggestion. I might try it out, but this must be done earlier, right? It seems my save is forfeit anyway. His 340 Crossbowman + 38 Champion could finish my 9 Magma Dragon easily isn't it? ;|
Not really, he more or less (lazlo) starts with such a stack.

Two tips. 1. Draco geddon as suggested is really powerful. If you have the ignite ability for wulfstan it gets really easy, but i didn't have it one time i used it and survived just fine.

2. get the grail. There are 3 obelisks in not that hard places to find. Restart the mission and make sure to use your 2 heroes to get the grail quickly. This will aid you greatly.

3. Hide Duncan in the alcove in the north west corner, so that lazlo has to pass your castle to get to him. This way wulfstan can simply attack lazlo if he goes after duncan (wulfstan should be in your castle.)

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 30 Jul 2007, 07:44

Great! I will look for this alcove next time I play it...
Yes...I didn't notice that the Armageddon is a fire damage spell? I thought it was earth damage, so my ignite ability won't work...
Thanks for the tips Loran!

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 30 Jul 2007, 20:00

Kildars wrote:I didn't notice that the Armageddon is a fire damage spell? I thought it was earth damage, so my ignite ability won't work...
Thanks for the tips Loran!
Obviously someone who never had to compose an army of efreet and fire elementals to conquer a hero weilding Armageddon's Blade....

(a great moment in Heroes history)

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 31 Jul 2007, 11:20

Heroes III (AB) is that?
I don't seem to like it very much. I personally prefer VI and I've nevered played the contents of Armagddon's Blade.
In Heroes III magic controls everything right? No might-oriented hero could beat a hero with good skills in magics? I think that's what I heard...
Anyway I am waiting for another chance to try the Laszlo once more. I wonder why only I am having difficulty with this map? Other looking-for-help threads seem to be about other maps which I handled with ease...

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 31 Jul 2007, 14:33

Well, that's not really a fair dismissal of HIII. Sure there are some spells that are really overpowering....expert levels of dimension door, town portal, and even slow, but a "might hero" usually could still have enough magic to stay afloat. In HIII if you had the fastest creature in your army, you got to fire off the first spell, so "might heros" often had that advantage. A barbarian like Crag Hack with a big army was certainly a force to be reckoned with.

Regarding AB, that artifact allows for a powerful armageddon spell to be cast to which that hero's armies are immune. It was a watershed moment in Heros strategy for me devising a way to overcome this--which initially seemed impossible. This was back in the glory days before internet walkthroughs, patches, and when printed manuals were great and computer AI was swift and adequate.

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 31 Jul 2007, 18:07

Kildars wrote:Heroes III (AB) is that?
I don't seem to like it very much. I personally prefer VI and I've nevered played the contents of Armagddon's Blade.
In Heroes III magic controls everything right? No might-oriented hero could beat a hero with good skills in magics? I think that's what I heard...
Anyway I am waiting for another chance to try the Laszlo once more. I wonder why only I am having difficulty with this map? Other looking-for-help threads seem to be about other maps which I handled with ease...
Curious, can you post your duncan and wulfstan builds?

Also, how'd you approach the first few weeks in your first time through the map?

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 01 Aug 2007, 04:56

Err...how do I post hero builds? Because I don't have HV here...
Duncan's build is simply default I think. He is what he was in the previous campaign but of course has leveled up. But because He doesn't have any magic which is not my stile, I didn't bother letting him visit those stat-boosting objects. So he, though capable of handling some neutral monsters, is not a choice for the confrontation with Laszlo.
Wulfstan's build is aimed at getting that "Absolute Protection"(a recommendation from some web site or walkthrough), but now I think that although useful it might be, it also takes tooooooo much time to reach this skill, so that Wulfstan can get neither Light or Dark magic (my favorites and I am sure Light magic is a good choice for Fortress) nor Enlightment (which is a must for me). I've had a look at the walkthrough on this site, and I wonder where the author's got that insanely high "Attack"? For my Wulfstan the lowest attribute is the attack which isn't so sweet for me and other attribute also seem to be inferior to the walkthrough here...but I think I visited all stats bonuses...what's with my Wulfstan???
The first few weeks, I would of course split Wulfstan and Duncan up, letting them explore the different direction. This is not a problem, because they both are capable of taking any neutral stack easily. I think it might be important that I find the grail really as soon as possible and generate the Magma Dragon as many as possible. Other smaller stacks don't seem to make a big difference...

@loran16
Thank you for your curiosity, maybe I will post specific builds of Wulfstan and Duncan soon.

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 01 Aug 2007, 12:13

Could someone tell me what kind of file TGA is? I am trying to make a screenshot but don't seem to be able to open it! And how can I post the image in this thread?...[/img]

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 01 Aug 2007, 12:18

Kildars wrote:Err...how do I post hero builds? Because I don't have HV here...
Duncan's build is simply default I think. He is what he was in the previous campaign but of course has leveled up. But because He doesn't have any magic which is not my stile, I didn't bother letting him visit those stat-boosting objects. So he, though capable of handling some neutral monsters, is not a choice for the confrontation with Laszlo.
Wulfstan's build is aimed at getting that "Absolute Protection"(a recommendation from some web site or walkthrough), but now I think that although useful it might be, it also takes tooooooo much time to reach this skill, so that Wulfstan can get neither Light or Dark magic (my favorites and I am sure Light magic is a good choice for Fortress) nor Enlightment (which is a must for me). I've had a look at the walkthrough on this site, and I wonder where the author's got that insanely high "Attack"? For my Wulfstan the lowest attribute is the attack which isn't so sweet for me and other attribute also seem to be inferior to the walkthrough here...but I think I visited all stats bonuses...what's with my Wulfstan???
The first few weeks, I would of course split Wulfstan and Duncan up, letting them explore the different direction. This is not a problem, because they both are capable of taking any neutral stack easily. I think it might be important that I find the grail really as soon as possible and generate the Magma Dragon as many as possible. Other smaller stacks don't seem to make a big difference...

@loran16
Thank you for your curiosity, maybe I will post specific builds of Wulfstan and Duncan soon.
Fortunately, the absolute protection route of Logistics, Destructive, defense and war machines isnt that bad. I'd think war machines is a wasted skill personally, but you're not in too bad shape skill wise.

I'd try the mission again, tryin to follow advice from here. I'd redo the mission myself to help ya, but i got LotA installed atm, so its a bit of a pain.

EDIT, kild just write down your heroes' stats and skills and post em here. Next time through the mission i sugest you write down and tell us your order of actions...maybe you're being inefficient. who knows?

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 02 Aug 2007, 04:08

@loran
I got the mission done yesterday! I don't know why the difference but yesterday Laszlo came for Wulfstan who was in the castle, and because it was a siege, I was able to deal with him very easily...(Duncan was just out there near the castle, why would Laszlo attack the castle instead?), but then I noticed that I've forgotten to install the update patch, maybe it's because of the version? Or maybe it's because yesterday I didn't bother to build that "Guard Post", assuming that Laszlo wouldn't besiege my town?(but then why should AI know what I have and haven't built?)
Is it random, who Laszlo would chase? I got no idea. But anyway it didn't seem I could lose yesterday if I were to use Draco-geddon method. Armageddon seems to be more powerful than what it was in Heroes VI, plus the ignite ability.
By the way, I forgot my Wulfstan's build...and eventually, I couldn't reach level 28 and the Absolute Protection...
It was on hard difficulty yesterday, and I think I am gonna do it once more on heroic!

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 02 Aug 2007, 15:52

Kildars wrote:@loran
I got the mission done yesterday! I don't know why the difference but yesterday Laszlo came for Wulfstan who was in the castle, and because it was a siege, I was able to deal with him very easily...(Duncan was just out there near the castle, why would Laszlo attack the castle instead?), but then I noticed that I've forgotten to install the update patch, maybe it's because of the version? Or maybe it's because yesterday I didn't bother to build that "Guard Post", assuming that Laszlo wouldn't besiege my town?(but then why should AI know what I have and haven't built?)
Is it random, who Laszlo would chase? I got no idea. But anyway it didn't seem I could lose yesterday if I were to use Draco-geddon method. Armageddon seems to be more powerful than what it was in Heroes VI, plus the ignite ability.
By the way, I forgot my Wulfstan's build...and eventually, I couldn't reach level 28 and the Absolute Protection...
It was on hard difficulty yesterday, and I think I am gonna do it once more on heroic!
I think the way the campaign is structured , with mission 4 being terribly weak in oppostiion, its impossible to get the ultimate ability for him.

And i have no idea why lazlo went to your castle. IN my game, he went after duncan and i had to intercept him with wulfstan. BTW, forgetting to install the update patch meant that lazlo had a chance at arriving earlier than he was supposed to, which couldve been the thing that gave you trouble.

And yes, dracogeddon is VERY powerful. I beat lazlo without ignite and in a normal battle, not a siege, using that strategy. I imagine in a castle siege with ignite that geddon would've been insane effective.

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 02 Aug 2007, 16:57

Yeah thanx for the tipps the mission was so easy this time. I might try another time sometime in the future and see why Laszlo came to the castle.

By the way, could you recommend me some walkthrough for H3, armageddon's blade?

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 02 Aug 2007, 17:00

Kildars wrote:Yeah thanx for the tipps the mission was so easy this time. I might try another time sometime in the future and see why Laszlo came to the castle.

By the way, could you recommend me some walkthrough for H3, armageddon's blade?
You're out of luck there....i love that game and that particular expansion, and try it again all the time. But those campaigns are NOT easy. Moreover, i dont know a place which has a good faq for it. Sorry

Try the H1-4 forum on this board if you have general questions.

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 03 Aug 2007, 04:54

Yes yes those maps don't look easy...I just got through the second mission of first campaign "Armageddon's Blade". And I already had to restart the mission twice to search for a good route to explore for the first few weeks.

But is H3 really the best? I always have difficulty understanding the people who says nothing's better than 3...

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kildars » 03 Aug 2007, 06:39

Wait!
Someone please tell me in how many weeks you got attacked by Laszlo in this map! Do you always have more than 1 month time, for the preparation?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”