Heroes, how to get the ultimate skill???

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
J_L_Seagull
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes, how to get the ultimate skill???

Unread postby J_L_Seagull » 20 Jul 2007, 18:25

So, is there a trick into getting the ultimate skill early in the game? Ive tried a couple of times to cheat just to get the ultimate skill but my heroes never has a chance of doing it before lvl 32. Maybe some heroes progress in the skill wheel slightly different and has a higher chance of getting the skills you need, but I cant figure out how to get that ultimate skill without cheats before the game ends (and lets face it, to reach lvl 32, you normally have to clear the entire map of all neutrals and enemies). So, does someone have a list that shows which hero to choose as a starting hero for each faction to have a high probability to reach the ultimate skill before being really high lvl (preferably below 25).

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 21 Jul 2007, 04:18

Look at the skill wheel on the main page of the website. Click on the ultimate skill, and itll highlight the exact skills you need to get the Ultimate.

Generally, minimum level without any witch huts is around 26. Still, most of the ultimates require skills that arent worth it (wizards for example), or just plain suck (Haven). Inferno's is perfect though, as logistics, offense, dark magic, and luck are all fantastic skills to have for any mainly offensive hero, and the ultimate is really good.

J_L_Seagull
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby J_L_Seagull » 21 Jul 2007, 17:38

I do use the skill wheel, but what Im wondering is if some heroes are more appropriate for reaching the ultimate skill earlier than others.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 21 Jul 2007, 18:32

Some cannot even get it, bad planning on Nival's part.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 21 Jul 2007, 19:48

J_L_Seagull wrote:I do use the skill wheel, but what Im wondering is if some heroes are more appropriate for reaching the ultimate skill earlier than others.
Tips for getting it.
A. Not all heroes can get it. In the campaign, for example, findan can't get it. (I cant remember what agrael starts with, but its not impossible). In the scenarios, if you are in an extra large and are playing with inferno and want to try for it (i dont advise it), you can use Grok, who starts with 2 abilities toward the ultimate already. Similarly, there are heroes like that for each faction.
B. It gets far harder to get it if you take any skill that isnt one of the 4 you need for the ultimate. So if you're going for the ultimate with Grok, don't take skills like light magic, even though it could be useful as hell. The reason for this is that then you have less chance of the abilities you need being offered to you. Similarly but not as importantly, usually you need 2/3 hero special skill's abilities. So don't get the third. For the inferno for example, don't get hellfire, as useful as it can be, as it wastes a level.
C. As i said before, sometimes its just not worth taking the skills. Wizards' have a nice ultimate, but can easily get 3 magic schools and be a very powerful spellcaster without it, and by doing this they'll have these powerful magics before you'd get arcane omniscience. If you went for the wizard ultimate, youd have to try and get attack, a rather crappy wizard skill that is rarely offered.

IMO, the only ultimate worth getting, in terms of usefulness and the abilities you have to take, are the dwarven one, the inferno one, and maybe the sylvan one. And of these you cant get the sylvan one in the campaign.

That's all the hints i can give ya.

Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Grail Quest » 22 Jul 2007, 09:12

I recommend trying the Ultimate Skills mod instead.
As it is, as you get closer to fulfilling the prerequisite Abilities for the Ultimate Skill, there is an increasing chance that you might be offered 2 Abilities, both in the required Skill areas, BUT taking either will make it impossible to get the Ultimate Skill.
For example, let's say all your Skills are Expert, and your Knight is offered Soldier's Luck and Scouting. You will need to either reload and use a cheat to give yourself a skill, thereby possibly changing how skills are subsequently offered, or you will (in my experience) need to restart the scenario.
If you are absolutely adamant about not cheating at all mid-way through a scenario, try this: When you start a scenario, save it, then have a look at what skills will be offered to you during this scenario. That way, if you will be given a choice where you will be blocked from the Ultimate Skill, Restart the scenario to again randomize the skill / ability offerings. Simply reloading or even restarting your computer will not change what skills are offered.
To have a look at the upcoming skill choices, use the console to give yourself a lot of XP. Once you've had a good look and know you won't be blocked, load the savegame and play without further cheating.

J_L_Seagull
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby J_L_Seagull » 23 Jul 2007, 07:39

Grail Quest wrote:I recommend trying the Ultimate Skills mod instead.
As it is, as you get closer to fulfilling the prerequisite Abilities for the Ultimate Skill, there is an increasing chance that you might be offered 2 Abilities, both in the required Skill areas, BUT taking either will make it impossible to get the Ultimate Skill.
For example, let's say all your Skills are Expert, and your Knight is offered Soldier's Luck and Scouting. You will need to either reload and use a cheat to give yourself a skill, thereby possibly changing how skills are subsequently offered, or you will (in my experience) need to restart the scenario.
If you are absolutely adamant about not cheating at all mid-way through a scenario, try this: When you start a scenario, save it, then have a look at what skills will be offered to you during this scenario. That way, if you will be given a choice where you will be blocked from the Ultimate Skill, Restart the scenario to again randomize the skill / ability offerings. Simply reloading or even restarting your computer will not change what skills are offered.
To have a look at the upcoming skill choices, use the console to give yourself a lot of XP. Once you've had a good look and know you won't be blocked, load the savegame and play without further cheating.
I must say, that is really bad programming that it should work that way. The ultimate skill should be avialable (if youd choose your skills correctly) at somewhere between lvl 20-25. Normally I win a large map (or at least is so powerful that I really dont need the ultimate skill) around lvl 20. Is it really useful to go after the ultimate skill if it really doesnt make a difference since you are already so powerful that you will win without a problem without it? And with the programming described above, that means that sometimes you cant even get the ultimate skill even though you strive for it. Well, I really think the programmers should take a good look at the skill wheel.

BTW, can anyone recomend a good X-large map, preferably with some story in it but still being able to choose race.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”