Can´t you see??

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Can´t you see??

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 01:57

Friends of the round table, I bring this topic here for you to express what I think of all this circus happening about the current stage of the game.
To me, it´s clear that Ubisoft is certainly lauching this open beta for us to test what THEY want we to test(the servers, crashings, freezings, etc). I think they already have a reviewed interface, graphics, sound, gameplay points, and other features, but they lauched the game in this stage, I think, 1 - to cause affliction on the fans and make them desperate to see the Thursday beta/ or the final version, creating such a hype that they will want to see if it´s so bad as everyone is saying and be surprised, or 2- to make the testers help them and fix specific parts of the game such as the servers and those features like crashing etc.. To me, the interface is already made, and gameplay too, I think they´ve just thinking about the battlefield right now, and everything is up and running.. See, the download is just 700 MB, and the game is going to be released on DVD, so expect the double, at least 1,4 GB for the compressed bundle, wich means we have yet a lot to see.. I think it´s just that, they´re releasing a version with plenty of flaws they know and already fixed, and think about it.. it´s just a raw open beta, you´re giving it what it wants, hype and attention.
As for me, I´m calm here and surely know Ubi and Nival are coming up with an excellent game wich will amuse us so.
That´s just me, sorry if you didn´t like it :)
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 13:29

Hmm... you're right. No one ever released a game to early and full of bugs. I said before, better to complain and be wrong than not complain and end up with an inferior/buggy game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Re: Can´t you see??

Unread postby Zamolxis » 25 Jan 2006, 13:44

arthureloi wrote:Can't you see?
Oh I can see. I can see very well, as I've been in the closed beta from the beginning, and believe me - it's not looking good. It's so unfinished, that it will "beat" H4 if they release it in March. The game needs at least 6 more months to be anything decent, but any kind of delay is welcomed, as it might just save the game from getting tons of reviews under 50%.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 14:06

Zamolxis wrote:
arthureloi wrote:Can't you see?
Oh I can see. I can see very well, as I've been in the closed beta from the beginning, and believe me - it's not looking good. It's so unfinished, that it will "beat" H4 if they release it in March. The game needs at least 6 more months to be anything decent, but any kind of delay is welcomed, as it might just save the game from getting tons of reviews under 50%.
Maybe it's all a ploy to get you to stop thinking about the Inquisitor thingy. ;)

6 months? What were they doing during the closed beta? deciding what colour underwear the Titan wore? 2-3 months i'd get, but 6?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DarkAngel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkAngel » 25 Jan 2006, 14:54

I think most people would be surprised on how advanced the developpment is at the moment. Each beta serves its purpose, and it is clear to me that it was only the multiplayer side they wanted us to know about and to test, for it is easier to get men ressources in a worldwide beta than to build a huge testing room in Nival studios and get everyone to travel to the actual site. Don't worry too much about the deadline, for i'm sure the hotseat gaming is just working great and they only need to fix some multiplayer bugs inherent to the interactions between remote machines.

I trust Ubisoft to ship a final product well designed and well balanced for i've been playing lots of their previous games and Prince of persia, for example, is not a nest of bugs but a very good quality game to have fun with.

So, march 2006 seems fine to me.
Last edited by DarkAngel on 25 Jan 2006, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Jeah!

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 15:15

I think most people would be surprised on how advanced the developpment is at the moment. Each beta serves its purpose, and it is clear to me that it was only the multiplayer side they wanted us to know about and to test, for it is easier to get men ressources in a worldwide beta than to build a huge testing room in Nival studios and get everyone to travel to the actual site. Don't worry to much about the deadline, for i'm sure the hotsit gaming is just working great and they only need to fix some multiplayer bugs inherent to the interactions between remote machines.

I trust Ubisoft to ship a final product well designed and well balanced for i've been playing lots of their previous games and Prince of persia, for example, is not a nest of bugs but a very good quality game to have fun with.

So, march 2006 seems fine to me.
Jeah, man! That´s exactly what I want to express, the game is not even near what it is in this open Beta, it´s just that they want us to test specific areas, like its multiplayer and balance. Too many people are scared or frightened, but this isn´t even halfway to the final... screw it´s an open beta, unfinished, unpolished and whatever, but I am sure it will serve its cause well, and the guyz will deliver us an excellent game! Fear not, friends!
Don´t believe everything you see, friend... over again I say this is a very unfinished and incomplete build, but it´s meant to be like this, it´s on purpose, you´ll see what a spectacular surprise when it comes out.

And about the deadline, it should be as the developers see fit, if it´s to be postponed or not, they decide.. They want money and aren´t releasing something flawed, believe me, folks!
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Jeah!

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 15:35

arthureloi wrote: Don´t believe everything you see, friend... over again I say this is a very unfinished and incomplete build, but it´s meant to be like this, it´s on purpose, you´ll see what a spectacular surprise when it comes out.

He was talking about the closed beta. As in the one that had SP and everything.
arthureloi wrote: And about the deadline, it should be as the developers see fit, if it´s to be postponed or not, they decide.. They want money and aren´t releasing something flawed, believe me, folks!
Right. Just look at Heroes 4. That one wasn't realeased to early at all. Neither was KotOR 2. Nor King Kong. The deadline should be when the game is finished, not when some guys at marketing decide it should be released.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 15:41

He was talking about the closed beta. As in the one that had SP and everything.
Yeah, I know that...

Right. Just look at Heroes 4. That one wasn't realeased to early at all. Neither was KotOR 2. Nor King Kong. The deadline should be when the game is finished, not when some guys at marketing decide it should be released.
Yeah, I agree with you.. and so do I believe they´re not releasing it neither flawed nor early, I think they´re competent enough and have already proven so, and are releasing something great, it´s just that what we´re seeing now is not what we´ll see...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 16:00

arthureloi wrote: Yeah, I agree with you.. and so do I believe they´re not releasing it neither flawed nor early, I think they´re competent enough and have already proven so, and are releasing something great, it´s just that what we´re seeing now is not what we´ll see...
I heard people though the same about 3DO and NWC.

I'm more of a Trust No One kinda guy.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 16:09

Hahahaha.. suit yourself, pal! I just think it will rock big, and the devs know where they´re stepping, and I abominate these distasteful, disgusting, arrogant frigging desperate morons who are creating and signing in that mother***** petition, this is bull**** man, what the hell they think they´re doing... no way man I have no words for what´s happening, people should chill out.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 16:38

And i though that I would be able play H4 with the sound on when i bought it. Who knew.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 16:42

hahaha now I remember that... the sound and music lags sucked great..
But I don´t know if you agree, friend, but times change and nowadays a company, specially a big company like Ubi can´t afford to release a game as bugged as HIV when it was released. Ubi would just lose so much money and so much be criticized it would be better not even makinh HV, so rest assured, it won´t be bugged.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Jan 2006, 17:08

arthureloi wrote:Hahahaha.. suit yourself, pal! I just think it will rock big, and the devs know where they´re stepping, and I abominate these distasteful, disgusting, arrogant frigging desperate morons who are creating and signing in that mother***** petition, this is bull**** man, what the hell they think they´re doing... no way man I have no words for what´s happening, people should chill out.
Mod note: Watch your mouth. Namecalling and excessive swearing and isn't tolerated.

As for the idea behind your message: take a look at who's "whining". Many of them are closed beta testers and knows a fair deal of what they're talking. H5 has potential, great potential. But as it is right now, it doesn't look very likely that it will live up to it.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 17:15

arthureloi wrote:hahaha now I remember that... the sound and music lags sucked great..
But I don´t know if you agree, friend, but times change and nowadays a company, specially a big company like Ubi can´t afford to release a game as bugged as HIV when it was released. Ubi would just lose so much money and so much be criticized it would be better not even makinh HV, so rest assured, it won´t be bugged.

Can't afford and won't are two different things. And all games are bugged, most just don't have such major ones.

Kilfire
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kilfire » 25 Jan 2006, 17:44

ThunderTitan wrote:
Zamolxis wrote:The game needs at least 6 more months to be anything decent, but any kind of delay is welcomed, as it might just save the game from getting tons of reviews under 50%.
6 months? What were they doing during the closed beta? deciding what colour underwear the Titan wore? 2-3 months i'd get, but 6?
Maybe working on other projects. It happens . . . schedules slip, people get reassigned, and don't return to their proper team till much later. Sometimes, with a little trimming off all the projects, everything's on schedule again and nobody outside will ever know. And sometimes, all you manage to do is shift the delay from one project to another.

Hopefully it's nothing like as bad as everyone fears. (I might not be buying now, but I still want to buy once the remaining StarForce issues are cleared up . . . maybe next year.)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 17:51

Kilfire wrote: Maybe working on other projects. It happens . . . schedules slip, people get reassigned, and don't return to their proper team till much later. Sometimes, with a little trimming off all the projects, everything's on schedule again and nobody outside will ever know. And sometimes, all you manage to do is shift the delay from one project to another.

Hopefully it's nothing like as bad as everyone fears. (I might not be buying now, but I still want to buy once the remaining StarForce issues are cleared up . . . maybe next year.)
Well if they did that during the beta what's to stop them from doing it again during the 6 months?

maybe after it's cracked they'll stop using SF on new CD's, i heard some companies do that

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 18:15

Gaidal Cain, you will have to apologize me, but I don´t agree. Beta is beta, no matter if it´s closed or open, it´s meant to test and it´s not final, not even close to it. I don´t believe this things you closed beta guys say, full of pride, just because you did close beta, you guys know it all? No! At leat for me, and more, I think you know as much as everyone here, so I still think it will be done in due time, the game will not be bugged, it will rock, and people are playing beta not to remove or submit bugs, but to see if the game is good. It´s clear that the devs are hiding the meat, do you think they would give away in a beta the special features like ghost, simultaneous turns, etc? No way, it´s just a question of pure and simple logic. Now when I get to open beta, I´m not going in for a stupid petition or complaint, I´ll be in to test it and submit seriously the unbalances and general bugs. That way I´ll know I´ll be really helping, and another thing, the date of release is for the devs to stipulate, when they feel the game is ready. Done.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Jan 2006, 18:29

arthureloi wrote:Gaidal Cain, you will have to apologize me, but I don´t agree. Beta is beta, no matter if it´s closed or open, it´s meant to test and it´s not final, not even close to it. I don´t believe this things you closed beta guys say, full of pride, just because you did close beta, you guys know it all?
Not all, but we've seen the pace at which things have been improving. We've also seen what the state of some things are, and it didn't look too good (good ideas, but not nearly finished)
It´s clear that the devs are hiding the meat, do you think they would give away in a beta the special features like ghost, simultaneous turns, etc?
Closed beta would have needed to test those if they were halfway finished. Open beta would have included them since open beta is as much about marketing as anything else.
That way I´ll know I´ll be really helping, and another thing, the date of release is for the devs to stipulate, when they feel the game is ready.
Believe me, that's what we want as well, but we're dead frightened that the suits at UBI won't allow it.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 18:46

Okay, say what you will, enough of that for me, you will defend your opinion and I will defend mine, so what I think is that the game will be great, when it hits the shelves we will be delighted, and period. This desperation of these guys get on my nerves and I never thought Heroes players would begin acting like this, sorry.

niteshade6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby niteshade6 » 25 Jan 2006, 22:41

I have alot of experience watching the development cycle of games. In my experience if the beta of a game is of poor quality at the time the game is released, then the game itself will be poor quality. Every time the company claims to have made "unreleased fixes" (or fans assume that) it turns out not to be true and the game bombs.

When the beta testers themselves....many of whom are among the biggest fans of the game who have lived....start pushing for a delay in release date, then that's a really bad sign.

As for the game market changing and people not releasing games early anymore......unless that has happened in the last 5 minutes then it's not true. Yes it hurt them and makes them lose money in the long run. And yes they still do it. In fact it happens more then it doesn't.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”