Gamespy preview!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Gamespy preview!

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jan 2006, 21:49

Look what the cat draged in: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/heroes-of-migh ... 899p1.html

Guess we now know what the 3 days were worth.

Ghost mode is blue! 8|
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Gamespy preview!

Unread postby Arzang » 24 Jan 2006, 22:49

Even better, now that the 3D map is rotatable, it means players will be able to find all those hidden treasures that sometimes went missed in previous games.
I can't remember missing any treasures in the last game because of the graphics.
was only able to see one faction's cities -- the Empire.
he obviously refers to Haven but at least get the damn names right.
If, for example, a player's hero picks up a pile of wood, a number and a wood symbol just floats up the screen and fades away. It's a small change, but one that's really noticeable as the time saved adds up in the game.
Wasn't HIV like this?
Units will also be generated weekly rather than daily, which cuts down on the level of city micromanagement and provides a better natural flow to the game.
a shame really. the only thing I saw as an upside for weekly growth was trying to build dwellings before (or during) day 7. they could use daily creature growth and still have this pressure by not kickstarting the actual growth in units until the week has shifted.

overall the preview didn't sound too biased. it just seemed to say what other previews had been saying already.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jan 2006, 22:59

Arzang wrote: overall the preview didn't sound too biased. it just seemed to say what other previews had been saying already.
Nope, it sounded uninformed. And it was full of H4 bashing. Don't worry H4, i still love you, even if you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Post nr. 500. :oex:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 24 Jan 2006, 23:28

ThunderTitan wrote: Nope, it sounded uninformed. And it was full of H4 bashing. Don't worry H4, i still love you, even if you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Post nr. 500. :oex:
yeah.. uninformed and lame. praising many times but while reading I was always under the influence that the praises didn't mean anything to someone who has at least played the old games.

well, previews in general are like that but I want new info I guess.

oh and kudos on 500. soon I'll become a super peasant.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 00:13

For one thing, it's not nearly as graphically busy as the previous versions of the game where the map was filled with all sorts of non-interactive, decorative things that flashed and moved and jumped for no obvious reason other than to say "Look at us, we're in 3D!"
Dummest sentence ever!
Anything unusual on the map -- a house, a sawmill, a tent, a creature -- will be an interactive object with some sort of a strategic purpose.
And this is new...how?
It gives an interesting sense of time-pressure and a whole new set of strategic considerations to the game.
You know,there is a game genre of real-time strategies,and in those games the above applies by default.If you have no patience to plan ahead,and take your time,then dont play TBS games :grumpy:

Ok,reading a review of a heroes game that starts with a long description of its graphics,and then describing how multiplayer kicks is...well,dumb.I guess they managed to attract new audience like they wanted.Now Id like to read a review from someone that will actually rate the gameplay and compare it objectively to all of the previous HoMM games.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 25 Jan 2006, 00:39

DaemianLucifer wrote:Now Id like to read a review from someone that will actually rate the gameplay and compare it objectively to all of the previous HoMM games.
That'll probably be impossible until we see some of examples of the strategic AI. Which, as I understand it, isn't in the open beta.

About all you could do in a review like this is compare the graphics, the MP aspect, and mention which of the previous games it most closely resembles.

The only part that irritated me was the obviously anti H4 bias. I'll be the first to say that H4 and MM9 were disappointing in terms of what they could have been, but they weren't that bad.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 00:46

Bandobras Took wrote:About all you could do in a review like this is compare the graphics, the MP aspect, and mention which of the previous games it most closely resembles.
No,you could also see how the combat develops(the general amount of tactics available,the usefulnes of spells,ranged vs walker vs flyer units,etc),general abundance of resources(although this one is hard based on just two maps),expensivnes of buildings,etc.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 01:19

No,you could also see how the combat develops(the general amount of tactics available,the usefulnes of spells,ranged vs walker vs flyer units,etc),general abundance of resources(although this one is hard based on just two maps),expensivnes of buildings,etc.
... It´s not supposed to see how the combat develops, since this will be still balanced and tuned up. Many spells are not implemented and/or are bugged, Fabrice already stated this in the fileplanet forum, so one can´t have a solid opinion about spell effects and spell balance. You can´t have a prospect of the resource distribution, since it´s up for balance, and you can´t comment about the expensiveness of the buildings, since Fabrice said in the fileplanet forums that the prices for buildings aren´t final and surely going for a remaking.
About all you could do in a review like this is compare the graphics, the MP aspect, and mention which of the previous games it most closely resembles.
I agree with that.

No, I didn´t like gamespy´s preview, and yes, I think that was that good because of the exclusivity.
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:24

So you cannot comment about all that stuff because then your oppinion would appear rash and biased? :|

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 02:06

You got that right, friend. See? It´s not that hard... rash and biased, biased and rash. :baby:
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Jan 2006, 16:54

Hmm, yep, I disagreed with pretty much every word in that preview ;|
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 25 Jan 2006, 17:22

what amazes me is that out of all the previews I've read, none seem to complain about the fact that all H4 features were dropped cold turkey.

some of them were undeniably good. even if some puritans didn't like the change.

namely: flagging of water wheels, caravans and daily growth (yes. daily growth).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 17:27

Arzang wrote:what amazes me is that out of all the previews I've read, none seem to complain about the fact that all H4 features were dropped cold turkey.

some of them were undeniably good. even if some puritans didn't like the change.

namely: flagging of water wheels, caravans and daily growth (yes. daily growth).
How dare you say that?!Its blasphemy to speak about that accursed game!

Witcht!Witch!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 17:29

I'll get the torches. You can dunk him in water until he confesses.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 17:33

How the hell do witches burn if theyre soaked in water before that?Hmm...Maybe they get fused :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 17:39

DaemianLucifer wrote:How the hell do witches burn if theyre soaked in water before that?Hmm...Maybe they get fused :devil:
The show lasts longer that way. Thay didn't have TV's back then. Duh...

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 25 Jan 2006, 18:10

I´m on the hunt!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Jan 2006, 19:25

Lamest preview ever! That little brath dissed H4 like a complaining little child :grumpy: If anyone put a bounty on his head I'll gladely hunt him down and kill him :devil:
Or we could always ask Boba to do the messy work for us :devious:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Jan 2006, 20:29

Don't take it to far, mkay.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 26 Jan 2006, 02:39

Ethric wrote:Hmm, yep, I disagreed with pretty much every word in that preview ;|
I think I did as well. And I agree with Thunder Titan as well: VERY uninformed. And very anti-H4. Either they were spoon-fed every word by the Marketing people or they were on very strong medication when they wrote it.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”